Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Di2 Wireless Unit feedback

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 10:12 PM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Considering getting the Shimano Di2 Wireless Unit for my new bike. However, one of the guys at my LBS said he wouldn't recommend it due to its bugs and inconsistent performance. He also said that it had the tenancy to malfunction and shut down the entire Di2 system (shifting and all). I'd like to have the ability to control my head unit with the shifter buttons and perform updates with my phone, but not at the expense of total system failure.

Does anyone have recent experience with the product? Wondering if some of these issues were more prevalent in early versions, and if they have since worked out some of the kinks.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-20, 10:50 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
I have had one on my Di2 bike for about 1 1/2 years no problem. AFAIK Apple products don't work with it you need a windows computer to program it with the app.
Old 05-25-20, 11:04 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Had mine for 2 years now and works flawlessly.

also programmed it on iOS.

would recommend etap if you want electronic shifting that’s more user friendly though - UX on di2 app really is terrible.
Old 05-25-20, 11:11 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Only time I had an issue was when I first got it and didn't realize I had to disconnect it from the etube app before it would start shifting again, which is probably what your LBS guy was refering to.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-26-20, 03:50 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Had D-Fly unit for about 3 years never had a problem. I haven't tried the synchro shifting option so maybe that is what the LBS was thinking of. I use mine to link to Wahoo Bolt for gear change info etc and it's been flawless.
Old 05-26-20, 07:56 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it! Lines up with more of the stuff I'm reading online - seems like most don't have any issues. Just want to make sure I'm not taking some unnecessary risk to get a "nice-to-have" feature.
Old 05-26-20, 08:04 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Only time I had an issue was when I first got it and didn't realize I had to disconnect it from the etube app before it would start shifting again, which is probably what your LBS guy was refering to.
Interesting. So when you ran into the shifting issues you were able to fix it yourself?

One of the things the guy had mentioned is if the system were to short out, I'd have to bring the bike into the shop and get the whole thing rebooted. Sounded a little extreme to me but I certainly didn't know enough to argue with a mechanic
Old 05-26-20, 08:48 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I do not have the wireless unit. That said, my buddy does and he has not had any issues with the unit. In face he likes the wireless interface so much that he's trying to convince me to pick one up. My challenge is that I have older Shimano brake hoods, so I don't have the ability to change screens on my Garmin unit from the bike. For me, I think the cost of the wireless unit outweighs the benefits.
Old 05-26-20, 09:14 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I had the shop install the D-Fly unit when they setup my new bike in Feb. No regrets at all. I use it quite often to change the cassette setting when switching wheel sets since it is much more handy than dragging my laptop out the garage and setting it up. Not really necessary but nice to have. The only thing I have read is you probably want to use a PC to do the firmware updates since it seems to be much more robust than the wireless unit.
Old 05-26-20, 09:33 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Not something I'd want if often dealing with wet muddy conditions. For fair weather use it could live a long life, but not outlive the actual bicycle or the tried & true mechanical setups imo.
Old 05-26-20, 09:42 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Have the inline unit for over a year and a half with no problems.
Old 05-26-20, 10:07 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmith41094
Interesting. So when you ran into the shifting issues you were able to fix it yourself?

One of the things the guy had mentioned is if the system were to short out, I'd have to bring the bike into the shop and get the whole thing rebooted. Sounded a little extreme to me but I certainly didn't know enough to argue with a mechanic
It's not really an issue, it's just how Shimano programmed Di2 to lock out when the Dfly is connected to Etube. I've never had it "short out", or heard of that happening to anyone.
Old 05-26-20, 11:56 AM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I've had it on two bikes for well over two years. The problem you might face is when updating the Battery's software via Bluetooth instead of hooking it directly to a PC. The Battery is the brain of the Di2 system. if it looses connection during that update, you have to take the bike in to have them "fix" the battery's firmware. I do all firmware updates when the bike is connected via hard wire to my PC.
Old 05-26-20, 12:22 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
TL;DNR

There are other things to worry about.

If you are completely paranoid, put one of these is your saddle bag. In the (extremely unlikely) case that the wireless hoses you, swap it with this.

EW-JC200

For the weight weenies, it weighs less than than the di tool, and it is smaller but more expensive.

(BTW, worst case, in the incredibly rare case that your wireless fails AND it freezes the DI2 and you DON’T have a pass through, you ride one speed. It’s about twice as bad as a broken rear derailleur cable.)

-mr. bill
Old 05-27-20, 07:43 AM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
I installed the wireless unit on my bike and I would say the unit works fine, but the UX for the app isn’t great. That being said, the app is only used to set things up and you’ll rarely ever see the app again unless you want to change some settings. I primarily use the wireless capability to have a visual of my gears and to be able to change screens on my Garmin from the hood buttons.

When I set mine up I did have the bike bricking issue. But I just had to disconnect the app from the bike and it worked fine.
Old 05-27-20, 08:29 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A lot of great feedback here. Really appreciate all the responses. I think I am going to order the part through the shop and just have them set it all up when they build the new bike. Seems like it has been pretty smooth sailing for most once you get past installation.
Old 05-27-20, 11:34 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I used the d-fly unit paired with a Garmin Edge 520 for a couple years. It worked - pretty much. No lockups or interruptions to shifting, but sometimes the 520 and the d-fly would drop connection. In addition to losing the functionality, it would go through reconnecting which was really annoying. I have since upgraded to an Edge 530 and everything has been rock solid.

To me, the big advantages are control of screens with the top buttons, seeing the actual battery level of the Di2, and seeing the gears that I'm in. I wish Shimano would have built in the connectivity, but at $75 plus the cost of a cable, it's worth it to me.
Likes For tntyz:
Old 05-27-20, 01:02 PM
August West

A lot of great feedback here. Really appreciate all the responses. I think I am going to order the part through the shop and just have them set it all up when they build the new bike. Seems like it has been pretty smooth sailing for most once you get past installation.
That's what I did. Worked out great.
Old 05-27-20, 05:24 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
What model di2 do you have? You can get the in-line EW-WU111 wireless unit. It installs simply, Just unplug a cable and insert it in-between, though IIRC it is incompatible with older DI2 battery models.
Old 05-27-20, 05:37 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
If you sold/stolen your bike today, would you pay extra for it on your next bike?
Old 05-27-20, 05:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Another option to the EW-WU111 unit is to use the XT display unit SC-MT800. It also replaces the A Junction as it has 3 E-Tube ports, BT unit and the charging port. The display unit is $90, vs. a 111 unit at $90+ and the A Junction at $85. Saves you $85.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-27-20, 06:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Not something I'd want if often dealing with wet muddy conditions. For fair weather use it could live a long life, but not outlive the actual bicycle or the tried & true mechanical setups imo.
Di2 is fine in wet and muddy conditions. In fact, it probably works better (more reliable) than mechanical in those settings.

in my estimation, the D-fly Bluetooth unit is a “must-have“ for Di2. It costs so little and gives you so much additional functionality.

Last edited by Koyote; 05-27-20 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 07:16 PM
August West

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
If you sold/stolen your bike today, would you pay extra for it on your next bike?
Absolutely. Much more convenient to grab my iPhone than drag the laptop out to the garage, dig the cables out, hook everything up and then put everything away. If saving money is important it is something that can always be added later though.
Likes For August West:
Old 05-27-20, 07:24 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
perform updates with my phone
Do not do that. At present the anecdotal stories are all of the horror kind if you update firmware over BT. Use your wired charger and a PC.
Likes For cybirr:
Old 05-27-20, 07:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Di2 is fine in wet and muddy conditions. In fact, it probably works better (more reliable) than mechanical in those settings.

in my estimation, the D-fly Bluetooth unit is a “must-have“ for Di2. It costs so little and gives you so much additional functionality.
didn't work well in the water/mud zones, but ymmv.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.