Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New build: Le Porteur de Viande Mystère

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New build: Le Porteur de Viande Mystère

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 12:24 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
That dropout is a 60s one, unless Velobase is in error:
My 1971 PX-10E has those dropouts, so they at least made it into the early 70s.
Old 07-12-20, 12:43 AM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
The porteur bars are priceless, just a wonderful build.

: Mike
Old 07-12-20, 11:36 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
My 1971 PX-10E has those dropouts, so they at least made it into the early 70s.
I've done a bit of digging, and I presume the variations T-Mar was speaking of had to do with the "SIMPLEX" stamping moving from the quick release surface to a raised casting on the dropout.

That said, the later version of the dropout - same as the one on my frame - is on that supposed '67 PX10 on Flickr.

(P.S.: Apparently, the paging system on the forum isn't working according to another forum member, so we may not see T-Mar chime in)

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
The porteur bars are priceless, just a wonderful build.
You know, I bought a pair of VO porteur bars for another build, went a different direction, and then wound up with these steel porteur bars from the Polycarbonex. I'm glad I did. Looks a lot better than modern aluminum bars, in this case.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate the existence of the VO bars though. Just have to find another frame...use the bars as an excuse to build it up

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-12-20, 02:02 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I've done a bit of digging, and I presume the variations T-Mar was speaking of had to do with the "SIMPLEX" stamping moving from the quick release surface to a raised casting on the dropout.

That said, the later version of the dropout - same as the one on my frame - is on that supposed '67 PX10 on Flickr.

(P.S.: Apparently, the paging system on the forum isn't working according to another forum member, so we may not see T-Mar chime in)
T-Mar's post suggests these dropouts were introduced "in very late 1972, for the 1973 model year", but I have the very same dropouts on my 1971 PX-10. I'm just trying to help with dating the frame.

Old 07-12-20, 02:33 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
The aforementioned wingnuts. Seems like the whole theme of this build is "parts that could impale you in a crash."
Now I want wingnuts for mine

I'm following this thread very closely, I've got a set of 700c hammered fenders that I bought for my fixed gear Grand Jubile that I haven't taken the plunge and installed yet, being that it's summer and all.

What are you planning on doing for the gearing? I love the three pin TA BTW - that and the three pin Grand Sport are two of my favorite cranks ever, I was looking for one for a while but ended up with a Lambert 50.4 TA clone.
Old 07-12-20, 02:45 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
I have a pair of 35mm hammered silver VO’s with no stays. Doubt I’ll ever use them.
Old 07-12-20, 03:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Brad L
T-Mar's post suggests these dropouts were introduced "in very late 1972, for the 1973 model year", but I have the very same dropouts on my 1971 PX-10. I'm just trying to help with dating the frame.
This frame also has the nutted drain port on the bottom of the BB without a riveted serial number. IIRC, it was guesstimated to be a mid to late-1960's PX10.

By the time I'm done with it, it may have 1950's graphics on it, so accuracy and originality aren't checkboxes on this build (though I do want a fitting, original Peugeot headbadge that fits the original holes).

Originally Posted by abshipp
Now I want wingnuts for mine

I'm following this thread very closely, I've got a set of 700c hammered fenders that I bought for my fixed gear Grand Jubile that I haven't taken the plunge and installed yet, being that it's summer and all.

What are you planning on doing for the gearing? I love the three pin TA BTW - that and the three pin Grand Sport are two of my favorite cranks ever, I was looking for one for a while but ended up with a Lambert 50.4 TA clone.
I've put smooth VO's on my '82 Schwinn Superior. They fit perfectly.

I want to put a 46t or 48t single TA chainring on it. At the rear, a 3-speed freewheel running on a threaded Sturmey driver. I'd also like to find an ancient Simplex RD that isn't overpriced. So many TdF rebuild kits out there, but nobody seems to have the upper spring or hardware.

Wouldn't even mind kludging up a Simplex TdF using random RD and McMaster Carr parts - in fact, I think it'd be fairly interesting to do so, but not at the prices it takes just to get the parts.

Originally Posted by natterberry
I have a pair of 35mm hammered silver VO’s with no stays. Doubt I’ll ever use them.
Interesting. The VO pattern isn't as attractive IMHO in comparison to the Honjo hammered pattern, but sometimes it makes more sense to go with what's available. Send me a PM.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-20-20, 05:10 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

First off: I'm thinking about the wider Velo-Orange 50mm (not 45mm) fenders at this point. I realize that means some crimping will be involved to help it between the 48mm fork blades, and the much narrower chainstays. Anyone have recommendations? Yay or nay? My concern is that 28C's will look too small under them.

Also, thanks to greg3rd48, the PdVM now has a proper headset.

I was shocked to find that I had precious few steerer threads to work with, making me second guess whether I should take the whole thing apart and ream the fork crown 1.5mm, but it holds together just fine under torque. I'll leave it as-is, as I can't imagine this bike came with anything other than a Stronglight Competition when it was new.

I took a couple of photos today, mocking it up with the chainguard from the Polycarbonex. I think I'm onto something when it's combined with the fenders (and something other than those hideous blackwalls):

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-20-20, 10:17 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
The chain guard is very nice, it looks simple, fast, and goes so well with the 3 arm TA.

: Mike
Old 07-20-20, 10:34 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
The chain guard is very nice, it looks simple, fast, and goes so well with the 3 arm TA.
Agreed, it's a match made in heaven. Getting a 46 or 48t ring that won't break the bank will be the hard part.

-Kurt

Old 07-21-20, 05:08 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Kurt, I'm late to this French game of yours since I've been so busy reading my house for sale.

Observation One: The saddle needs a little blue pill or something to stiffen it up.

Observation Two: Seeing the beautiful chain guard above, would you consider NOS Wald chrome fenders? If so I can put a pair in the box with the '50s Raleigh Sports.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-21-20, 07:31 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Kurt, I'm late to this French game of yours since I've been so busy reading my house for sale.

Observation One: The saddle needs a little blue pill or something to stiffen it up.

Observation Two: Seeing the beautiful chain guard above, would you consider NOS Wald chrome fenders? If so I can put a pair in the box with the '50s Raleigh Sports.
Hey there, Bob - hadn't seen you around and was a bit worried. Selling the NH house? Send me an email and fill me in.

The saddle isn't final, though I seem to be using it as my Brooks B.17 stand-in for photos on every project. It's way too long and throws the look off, but at least I'll have something on it when it comes to testing.

I was fairly set on some form of hammered fenders, but I wonder how much those Walds would look like original French bits - you've brought to mind that Schwinn fenders would actually look the part, if the stays were swapped. The big question is: How old are they? Are these '50s bits?

I've found that Wald chrome isn't worth a nickel (pun intended) on any production from the last 30 years.

-Kurt

Old 07-21-20, 08:25 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
The chainguard looks a lot like the one on some older Gazelle city bikes like the Tour de France and Grand Tourist.
And I have very similar levers for a future project but I never thought of mounting them like that to follow the curve. Nice one.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 07-21-20, 09:11 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
I am glad that I was able to add to this build and look forward to seeing the final result!
Likes For greg3rd48:
Old 07-21-20, 09:47 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by JaccoW
The chainguard looks a lot like the one on some older Gazelle city bikes like the Tour de France and Grand Tourist.
And I have very similar levers for a future project but I never thought of mounting them like that to follow the curve. Nice one.
It's the exact same guard, as a matter of fact. If you happen to find the stamped steel bottom bracket adapter off one, I'd be very interested. I assume I'll have to shim it to fit a threaded BB.

I wasn't even planning on using these levers, but they came to me in a "oh well, why not" trade, and once they arrived, I realized the curve made them perfect for the short porteur bars.

Originally Posted by greg3rd48
I am glad that I was able to add to this build and look forward to seeing the final result!
Can't thank you enough - the headset cleaned up beautifully and looks just right.

-Kurt

Old 07-21-20, 10:33 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

It's the exact same guard, as a matter of fact. If you happen to find the stamped steel bottom bracket adapter off one, I'd be very interested. I assume I'll have to shim it to fit a threaded BB.

I wasn't even planning on using these levers, but they came to me in a "oh well, why not" trade, and once they arrived, I realized the curve made them perfect for the short porteur bars.
Those should be easy enough to find, I might even be able to find a new one around here. At the very least I can measure the right size for you.

Old 07-21-20, 10:35 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Those should be easy enough to find, I might even be able to find a new one around here. At the very least I can measure the right size for you.
Perfect - and thank you!

Out of curiosity, what Sturmey hub are you running that derailer setup with? That's more or less what I want to do with the Peugeot.

-Kurt

Old 07-21-20, 10:38 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Perfect - and thank you!

Out of curiosity, what Sturmey hub are you running that dual setup with?

-Kurt
A regular old AB hub. I tried making it a hill climber but a 28T + 16T setup meant there was just too much torque for the poor circlip to hold on to both sprockets.
I will probably convert this particular bike to modern 70mm SA hubs with a dyno front and 5-speed rear laced to the old/similar rims. Should make for a good commuter for a friend some time.

Old 07-21-20, 10:40 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Interesting. Glad I have a threaded driver here

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-22-20, 06:06 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Fortunately the fenders are NOS and accessible for me to take pictures. Let me see what I can do today or tomorrow.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-22-20, 06:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Fortunately the fenders are NOS and accessible for me to take pictures. Let me see what I can do today or tomorrow.
10-4. And welcome back to NLNH

-Kurt