Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2021 Sutra (I Finally Ordered it!)

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-18-20, 03:02 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

After much hemming and hawing I've finally ordered the 2021 Sutra from my LBS. I'm nearly 50 and need to encourage myself to do more cardio and of course cycling is good for that as well as transportation.

As has been the case for awhile there don't seem to be any major changes, but my LBS told me Kona modified the HT angle/length slightly to provide a more upright position. At some point I'll probably do an electric conversion as well. The color is OK, though I'd prefer something brighter for better visibility, but that's a minor gripe. Other than that it seems like a great bike and a great value.
https://www.konaworld.com/sutra.cfm

Last edited by AlanK; 10-30-20 at 11:54 PM.
Likes For AlanK:
Old 07-18-20, 03:31 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
When do the expect delivery?
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 07-18-20, 03:48 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
When do the expect delivery?
They told me about 4-6 wks.

Last edited by AlanK; 08-21-20 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-18-20, 04:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
If you have not cycled much, it can take some time to get all the adjustments (seat height, seat set back, etc.) to fit you well because you are not really sure what a good fit is. If you make frequent adjustments but keep the adjustments small (say 5mm seat height adjustment at a time), you can get it to feel just right. If you carry a multi-tool, that makes it easier to make frequent adjustments while you ride. Different stem length and angle are often needed to get a new bike dialed in too.

Flashing lights and a bright color jersey or jacket aids visibility much more than frame paint color.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 07-18-20, 04:21 PM
AlanK

While I haven't in about 7-8 years I used to cycle regularly. I know bikes have changed since, but they haven't changed that much so am pretty familiar with the fitting process. The first accessories I need are pedals, a helmet and lock. That will get me started anyway. I'll probably find a basket for the rack at first; panniers aren't a huge priority right now.

Last edited by AlanK; 10-24-20 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-18-20, 10:55 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
The one thing I wish I'd thought of before buying the 2020 Sutra, is to ask the shop it they would substitute a different color of Brooks B17. The honey colored one really does stand out when nothing else on the bicycle matches it.

What I did have the shop substitute was to Marathon w/Greenguard tires, as they roll much better on packed (asphalt, etc) pavement than the Mondials, yet they still work well on gravel roads.

The rack that the Sutra comes with does not accommodate a basket being lashed to the top of it. I bought an aftermarket rack by Salsa, Wanderlust HD (the chromoly one). It has a much wider top and - importantly for a basket - a flat top.

The sizing of the 2020 models didn't comport with the company's own sizing chart. I am 5'6" with 29.5" inseam and the 46cm size is what I settled on, even though the chart suggested the 48cm or 50cm. This might be something to prepare yourself for.
Old 07-19-20, 12:43 AM
AlanK

Originally Posted by Nyah
The one thing I wish I'd thought of before buying the 2020 Sutra, is to ask the shop it they would substitute a different color of Brooks B17. The honey colored one really does stand out when nothing else on the bicycle matches it.
I could give half a crap about aesthetics. As long as it's functional I don't care how it looks.

What I did have the shop substitute was to Marathon w/Greenguard tires, as they roll much better on packed (asphalt, etc) pavement than the Mondials, yet they still work well on gravel roads.
I'll ride the Mondials until they wear out and then get durable all-road tubeless tires.

The rack that the Sutra comes with does not accommodate a basket being lashed to the top of it. I bought an aftermarket rack by Salsa, Wanderlust HD (the chromoly one). It has a much wider top and - importantly for a basket - a flat top.
With ingenuity a basket will fasten to any rack. All it takes is bungees and/or screws.

The sizing of the 2020 models didn't comport with the company's own sizing chart. I am 5'6" with 29.5" inseam and the 46cm size is what I settled on, even though the chart suggested the 48cm or 50cm. This might be something to prepare yourself for.
Yeah, Kona's sizing is pretty weird/atypical. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam. Their chart showed either a 52 or 54 would work and my LBS recommended a 52 would probably fit a little better. Hopefully it will.

Last edited by AlanK; 10-24-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-19-20, 04:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Honey darkens up with age. The one in the photo has mostly had touring use but not day to day use, about eight years old and is the Conquest, not the B17. With enough bags and other stuff on the bike, nobody will notice the saddle color.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 07-19-20, 11:27 AM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
After much hemming and hawing I've finally ordered the 2021 Sutra from my LBS. I'm nearly 50 and need to encourage myself to do more cardio and or course cycling is good for that as well as transportation.

As has been the case for awhile there don't seem to be any major changes, but my LBS told me Kona modified the HT angle/length slightly to provide a more upright position. At some point I'll probably do an electric conversion as well. The color is OK, though I'd prefer something brighter for better visibility, but that's a minor gripe. Other than that it seems like a great bike and a great value.
https://www.konaworld.com/sutra.cfm
Just an FYI: Nothing has changed on the Sutra or Sutra LTD. The geometry has remained exactly the same. The new ULTD has a different HT angle and fork length.
Old 07-22-20, 09:07 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Nice bike, the Kona Sutra was one of my two top choices for a touring bike I got about 2 months ago; after looking at around 12 to 15 touring bikes in that price range, I settled on the Masi Giramondo 700c, it had more of the stuff I was looking for in a touring bike. But man, I was bouncing back and forth between those two.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 07-23-20, 01:13 AM
AlanK

Originally Posted by greatscott
Nice bike, the Kona Sutra was one of my two top choices for a touring bike I got about 2 months ago; after looking at around 12 to 15 touring bikes in that price range, I settled on the Masi Giramondo 700c, it had more of the stuff I was looking for in a touring bike. But man, I was bouncing back and forth between those two.
The Giramondo is also a really nice bike, but, yup, you guessed it, I prefer the Sutra. While the Tubus racks on the Giramondo are first rate, the tire and wheels seem inferior because they only have 32-spokes and the Kenda Quick tires are too wide and aren't as nice. They're also QR, which aren't as stiff or durable as the TAs on the Sutra.

It's still a nice bike, but to keep it at that price-point with the Tubus racks they had too make too many compromises IMO.
Old 08-21-20, 06:41 AM
ndrose

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
OP, did your shop come through with the bike? Around here, I’ve been told no stock until maybe November.
Old 08-21-20, 10:30 AM
AlanK

Originally Posted by ndrose
OP, did your shop come through with the bike? Around here, I’ve been told no stock until maybe November.
No, in the first post I typed 2-3 wks, but should have typed 4-6. Hopefully sometime in September but we'll see. I haven't checked with them lately, but considering the supply chain is greatly compromised it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't arrive until November as you say.

Last edited by AlanK; 10-24-20 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-27-20, 04:04 PM
chrishooper78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice.
Old 08-27-20, 04:14 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Wow they're still putting triple chainrings on bikes!?
Nice bike BTW
Old 08-28-20, 08:41 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Nice bike BTW
Of course, and good that they do! Fewer is not more, not even acceptable.

Last edited by Nyah; 08-28-20 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-08-20, 10:14 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by bOsscO
Nice bike BTW
Yeah, I actually think a double works fine for most applications including touring. 20 gears is plenty.

Still no ETA. Hopefully Nov, but considering how screwed up the supply chain is I'm not counting on then either...
Old 10-09-20, 02:51 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
For what it's worth, my LBS is thinking December-January as realistic for the '21s.
Old 10-09-20, 04:31 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Nice ride. I’m moving up from my Rove NRB to a 2021 Libre. Not sure when I’ll see it. The sizing is confusing. My wife has a 2020 Libre - a 49. Turns out the smallest 2021 size is a 50, which I’m told is actually smaller than the 49.
Old 10-10-20, 02:39 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
For what it's worth, my LBS is thinking December-January as realistic for the '21s.
My LBS told me Kona now isn't expecting significant delivery until Spring. He said a few might trickle in a little earlier but I shouldn't expect it to arrive until then.

Last edited by AlanK; 10-11-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-10-20, 10:14 PM
a_d_a_m

Well CRAP!
I'll have to see what my buddy says...maybe he isn't up-to-date like I hope he would be...
Old 10-23-20, 12:42 PM
GeraldS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is strange, just join the forum after seeing you replies about you not getting your 2021 Kona Sutra before end of year since, has your LBS says, Kona does not expect significant delivery.

Here is my story. I started looking at getting a new bike to replace an aging hybrid bike end of august
and for pretty much for the same reason, to get out of the house and do more exercise and get in better shape.

So went to an LBS near my house and the choices came down to Kona Rove, Rove DL or Sutra, was originally going to see the Fuji bike,
but they were no longer selling those bikes. After talking with the owner of the shop, I was leaning for the Rove due to pricing.
Went back home to do my research and take a decision after looking at reviews and specs of the 3 bikes.

Decided for the 2021 Sutra in 56cm (I'm 6 Feet tall and 270lbs).
September 10th, I put a deposit down for the Kona Sutra and he called is rep at Kona in front of me.
Answer: Should be in end of October or somewhere in November. I visited him Friday Oct 16th, he told me he just received an email
saying they where shipping my bike (And others ordered by my LBS) and should arrive today or Monday.
I'll be passing by the shop tomorrow to confirm.

By the way, when I visited last week, they had just received 8 Kona Rove/Rove DL.
Seems they are getting regular shipments of Kona bikes not a trickle...

I'm in Canada, so it may be different and easier to get more bikes from Kona but I still do not understand why you,
who are in North America, like I am, and ordered back in July, still do not have your bike.

Hope you get good news soon from your LBS.
Old 10-23-20, 09:29 PM
a_d_a_m

My LBS just called today and said they got a hold of their Kona rep. Allegedly, '21 is the last year for the regular ol' Sutra touring bike, and one is being allotted for the shop...which is reserved for me and is not expected to arrive until March at the earliest.
Old 10-23-20, 10:07 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
My LBS just called today and said they got a hold of their Kona rep. Allegedly, '21 is the last year for the regular ol' Sutra touring bike, and one is being allotted for the shop...which is reserved for me and is not expected to arrive until March at the earliest.
Interesting. Did they say why it's being discontinued? The Sutra has been highly regarded for a few years now, so that seems puzzling. My speculation is inadequate sales, but this is entirely speculative. Since they're now offering 3 models and the other two are more gravel/off-road oriented maybe they think that's a more lucrative market.
Likes For AlanK:
Old 10-23-20, 11:04 PM
a_d_a_m

I was half asleep when he called (I'm on midnight shift, so I sleep days). He mentioned something about the Kona Sutra LTD being the same frame, advent of bikepacking rigs, blah blah blah, touring bikes are old-fashioned.......yawn. Sorry I can't provide more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.