Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Found a bike today!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Found a bike today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20, 04:23 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Found a bike today!

So today I finally decided to dispose of a junky remnant of a bike that I had kicking around for no real reason. Our building has an enclosed area designed as large item drop-off for trash: things like furniture etc. So I dragged my junker to the area, and noticed that someone else had disposed of their bike there as well. I could see though that the bike they dumped was actually pretty decent: it was covered in stickers, so you couldn't see a brand name but all the components were Deore LX which piqued my interest, so I investigated further. The chain was rusty but no links were seized up and the gears shifted well. The only thing wrong with it as far as I could see were the flat tires. I pumped them up and the rear one has since deflated, so I guess it has a slow leak, but the bike seems in a really great shape otherwise! I am not sure why someone would throw it out but hey, not my place to question it!! Planning to fix the leak this weekend and give that baby a spin!! Just wanted to share my excitement.
Old 08-22-20, 04:59 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
So today I finally decided to dispose of a junky remnant of a bike that I had kicking around for no real reason. Our building has an enclosed area designed as large item drop-off for trash: things like furniture etc. So I dragged my junker to the area, and noticed that someone else had disposed of their bike there as well. I could see though that the bike they dumped was actually pretty decent: it was covered in stickers, so you couldn't see a brand name but all the components were Deore LX which piqued my interest, so I investigated further. The chain was rusty but no links were seized up and the gears shifted well. The only thing wrong with it as far as I could see were the flat tires. I pumped them up and the rear one has since deflated, so I guess it has a slow leak, but the bike seems in a really great shape otherwise! I am not sure why someone would throw it out but hey, not my place to question it!! Planning to fix the leak this weekend and give that baby a spin!! Just wanted to share my excitement.
I envy your enthusiasm for something that was being thrown away. Seriously, being happy over a little thing is a gift.

If someone gave me a new Colnago C64 with Campy Super Record I would probably frown.
Old 08-22-20, 07:17 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Old 08-23-20, 07:49 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Back in our junior high school days (mid-70s), a good friend came up the street one day with a new-to-him bike.

It was an Azuki 10 speed similar to the one I rode that a neighbor had left on the street for trash collection!

We repainted the frame, replaced the damaged saddle and gave it a tune up and he rode that bike for many years. I know he was still using it in college days.

Really worked out well for him and to his credit for noticing it because it was left out some houses away from where he lived.

Otto
Old 08-23-20, 08:05 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Deore LX pretty good stuff. If the bike came stock with those components then the bikes well made enough made to a keeper and fixer up!

Old 08-23-20, 11:23 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20

If someone gave me a new Colnago C64 with Campy Super Record I would probably frown.

sounds like my current mindset as well
Old 08-23-20, 11:47 AM
kyguy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a great one

Picked up a Iron Horse for $15 that looks like its been rode 20 miles at most.
Old 08-23-20, 11:59 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Nice find! I once acquired a very nice vintage frame that way. Sometimes, the trash has good stuff.
Old 08-23-20, 12:10 PM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
This is a post that really needs to have pictures attached.
Likes For Univega:
Old 08-23-20, 01:17 PM
solman

Bikes: Trek 720 Hybrid, Trek FXS-5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes , Pictures or it didn't happen
Old 08-24-20, 07:52 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Originally Posted by solman
Yes , Pictures or it didn't happen

Still gotta fix that flat...
Likes For chephy:
Old 08-24-20, 07:54 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Wow! That's money saved you could have spent somewhere else useful!

I envy you because nobody throw away functional bikes here! I would have done the same thing in your situation
Here no one does that either. People try to sell rusty Walmart BSOs for $150. This was a crazy rare find.
Old 08-24-20, 08:09 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Nice find. I found a Cranbrook, with a broken seat clamp last month. Never nothing real good.around here. Might need to look up junk days for the rich areas. Need to get rid of bikes or rent storage.
Old 08-24-20, 08:21 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
That's your old bike saying thanks for keeping me at home all that time !
Likes For holytrousers: