Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

dark cold, sad...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-20, 04:36 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
dark cold, sad...

I hate the winter/ late fall in NJ.
no more weekday rides.
Old 11-18-20, 08:47 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
I hate the winter/ late fall in NJ.
no more weekday rides.
Starting out when it's already dark does indeed take determination; that said, with the right lights and warm stuff one can do it.

Lucked out last winter that others talked me on a bitterly cold early November day in NYC and a not bad one right after Christmas in NJ, a habit I continued on New Years day getting back up to a metric before the end of January - hey, it was a warm winter!

A bit more north now... the cold takes determination,but it's persistent snow cover that would actually be an obstacle.
Old 11-19-20, 12:45 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Yup. I'm not a New York Winter rider, either. I DO keep a junker bike set up for the occasional bundle-up-and-ride-the-boardwalk spin, though. If we end up on lockdown this winter, but are allowed out to breath, I will probably really NEED a few of these rides.
Old 11-19-20, 04:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I went out today. the wind was more of a problem than the temp.
Old 11-19-20, 09:03 PM
UniChris

I had to throw in the towel on last year's Thanksgiving ride as the wind riding up the Hudson was just too gusty and jerking the big wheel all over the place.

There were lots of days in NY's last winter that had workable temperatures though, and inland stuff up through Westchester wasn't too exposed. Mostly it was about picking when there wasn't actually snow on the ground - had a momentarily freaky experience on the North County Trailway where I kept seeing more and more ice divots that I think were remains of places people had stepped and compressed the snow. At first I could dodge them and stay on the pavement which the sun had melted clear; then I realized riding over them was no big deal. But finally along the path section beside rt 100 they got so dense that I was basically bouncing across them and not touching pavement; and then I started to slip sideways off the trail. I can normally go "around" my narrow handelbar and run out my momentum, but I had a strong suspicion that in a oops there I wouldn't have had traction under my feet and would have gone down, no doubt landing in one off the abrasive clear spots.

About a hundred miles further north now, so we'll see how things go. There was more persistent snow cover on the paths here when I visited before and after the holidays last winter.

But its supposed to be warm the next two days - so go ride! Trying to decide if I skip out Friday or wait for Saturday, which unlike in NYC won't be as warm here as Friday.
Old 11-20-20, 06:49 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
thats what cyclocross and a school yard field is for , well lit and you get lit , you know what im saying , other wise find a nice safe loop and hit it hard , no need to go out for billion miles this time of year !
Old 11-20-20, 10:02 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
There were a number of Massapequa Park Bicycle Club members who had had enough of winter many years back, decided to do laps inside a LIRR multi-level parking garage in Hicksville, NY. One of those people is a member of this forum and posts regularly but shall remain un-named.
Old 11-20-20, 12:42 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
There were a number of Massapequa Park Bicycle Club members who had had enough of winter many years back, decided to do laps inside a LIRR multi-level parking garage in Hicksville, NY. One of those people is a member of this forum and posts regularly but shall remain un-named.
What kind of idiot would do that?
Old 11-20-20, 02:51 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
What a difference a day makes.

Yesterday 42* was sleeveless base, short sleeve base, long sleeve shirt, arm warmers and jersey. bibs and tights. fingerless gloves with lightweight over gloves.

Today 57* was long sleeve shirt, jersey, bibs, fingerless gloves.
Old 11-20-20, 03:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
What a difference a day makes.

Yesterday 42* was sleeveless base, short sleeve base, long sleeve shirt, arm warmers and jersey. bibs and tights. fingerless gloves with lightweight over gloves.

Today 57* was long sleeve shirt, jersey, bibs, fingerless gloves.
At 8 this morning it was 44 and wind jacket, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, tights, booties, fall gloves. It was windy as well, SW again at 15-20. Never got to 50 in the 2 hrs we were out.
Old 11-20-20, 03:37 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Dark, cold sad.........none of the above, not today.

Slept until around 130pm after work, then headed down to the beach for a short 23 mile ride. Shorts, summer jersey, fingerless gloves. Just got back. Very nice.

Last edited by kaos joe; 11-20-20 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-21-20, 04:59 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Hate the shorter days. Up until the time change I could get an 60-90 minute ride in before dinner. No more
Old 11-22-20, 09:47 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
It was nice enough on Saturday to do a beach ride with my wife. 20 miles up and down Rockaway Beach.
Old 11-22-20, 09:57 AM
UniChris

Pushing on despite a late start meant the final 10 of yesterday's 57 miles were done in the dark with fortunately quite suitable lights. Luckily by then I was out of the hills and just making up ground on wide flat low traffic roads through farm country alongside a river. Ironically though I'd been feeling a bit cold earlier that stopped at sunset, I think the wind dropped. Switched to my neoprene gloves but other than that didn't resort to the several extra layers I'd packed along. If there was something I wasn't prepared with gear wise it's that earlier the running tights over summer cycle shorts were only marginally enough, may need to get more long ones and have the running tights as an extra layer. And apart from climbs I'm continuing to like the (relatively wimpy) face mask for its scarf-like warmth role.

All in all, I feel like the challenge is the transition of it suddenly being dark early, especially with the clock change. Get through that, and when prepared there are still a number of useful hours to do things - 5-6pm is not "the middle of the night".

But yes, that early dark is gloomy.
Old 11-22-20, 10:00 AM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Some days are better than others!

We did this ride yesterday with beer and snacks at the pub at Washington's Crossing. A nice day!
Old 11-22-20, 11:26 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by groth
We did this ride yesterday with beer and snacks at the pub at Washington's Crossing. A nice day!
Had some nice rides along the Delaware early last spring!

Thinking about this thread, I'm reminded of something that struck me while out riding yesterday: much as I don't like the dark and cold, I also feel much freer in shoulder season to do long rides in exposed areas. In peak summer, I'm always seeking roads and trails with shade cover and dreading long sun-exposed stretches, but right now miles and miles through meadows and farm fields can be fine, unless it gets really windy.