Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Blood Pressure Drop!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Blood Pressure Drop!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 05:55 PM
maher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blood Pressure Drop!

Hi, I am 49 y.o, and doing 3-4 rides a week that ranges between 30 - 60 miles per ride .. I did experience 2 occasions of significant drop in my blood pressure (BP) towards the end of the ride. It was too hard that I could hardly lift my neck on the last few miles on the ride. At home, my BP was around 88/55 .. very low! I was dizzy. After eating, drinking and resting, it started climbing back up. I do take blood pressure pills .. I am thinking I might need a lower dose, but I also read about the post exercise hypotension as a condition widely observed. Appreciate any opinions that can help prevent or reduce this problem .. Thanks
Old 03-06-21, 05:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
My opinion: talk to your doctor.
Old 03-06-21, 06:01 PM
maher

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning to .. Just thought to see if someone had similar experience.
Old 03-06-21, 06:05 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Go see your doctor. That is the only advice here that you should listen to.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 03-06-21, 06:07 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
It sounds pretty scary. any advice outside seeing a dr would just be anecdotal at best.

Enjoy riding but do it safely.
Old 03-06-21, 07:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by maher
Hi, I am 49 y.o, and doing 3-4 rides a week that ranges between 30 - 60 miles per ride .. I did experience 2 occasions of significant drop in my blood pressure (BP) towards the end of the ride. It was too hard that I could hardly lift my neck on the last few miles on the ride. At home, my BP was around 88/55 .. very low! I was dizzy. After eating, drinking and resting, it started climbing back up. I do take blood pressure pills .. I am thinking I might need a lower dose, but I also read about the post exercise hypotension as a condition widely observed. Appreciate any opinions that can help prevent or reduce this problem .. Thanks
Any chance you were dehydrated? With less circulating volume when dehydrated, pressure drops. Usually this is accompanied by an increase in heart rate to maintain cardiac output, but many blood pressure medications also limit heart rate and can suppress that effect. As a result, you can become symptomatic (dizzy, weak).
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-06-21, 08:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
An MD would not offer a diagnosis over an internet forum...And anyone else's opinion isn't worth much.

Start with your general care physician. Don't postpone it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-07-21, 09:29 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
standard “not a medical professional” disclaimer etc, but my FIL ran into something like this - he was unusually active for a guy in his 70s - walked miles, played golf & tennis etc. I think he was on beta blockers that resulted in significant bouts of low blood pressure - turned out that that they had to recalibrate his dosage based on the fact that his level of physical activity put him outside “the norm” wrt standard dosing. Make sure your medic is aware of the extent of your cycling. For most people, “I ride a bike” doesn’t mean 3-4 30-60-mile rides/week
Old 03-07-21, 09:34 AM
Sasquatch16

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Obviously not a medical opinion but had similar thing happen to me that scared me enough to go to hospital. End result was that I was severely dehydrated which leads to lower blood volume along with hard exercise which expands your blood vessels and your blood pressure drops.
Please check with your doctor though.
Old 03-07-21, 09:45 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
As an MD, I’ll just leave this here: The potential consequences of drops in blood pressure are much more serious for people with history of high blood pressure than for others. Do not **** around with this.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-07-21, 11:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Do you have an HR monitor? What were your BPM during your ride?

One time and only one time when I just was starting to get addicted to the high cardio rush some of us get with cycling, I noticed my vision was a little blurry and feeling light headed during a ride, but on my way home and close to the house. My HR was only in the low 80's and it should have been around 135 for that part of my ride.

I've asked several doctors about it including a cardiologist. And you most certainly should get checked out too. However in my case they couldn't find anything wrong and just said to let them know if it happens again. Thankfully that hasn't.

You do hydrate adequately on your rides don't you?
Old 03-07-21, 11:28 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Any chance you were dehydrated? With less circulating volume when dehydrated, pressure drops. Usually this is accompanied by an increase in heart rate to maintain cardiac output, but many blood pressure medications also limit heart rate and can suppress that effect. As a result, you can become symptomatic (dizzy, weak).
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
As an MD, I’ll just leave this here: The potential consequences of drops in blood pressure are much more serious for people with history of high blood pressure than for others. Do not **** around with this.
I've noticed the same thing. After a hard workout, sometimes 85/45 or so. Also history of high blood pressure, and take meds for it. I was worried and talked to my cardiologist. He seems to not be worried and said "You're dehydrated". Still, I would get a professional opinion.
Old 03-07-21, 02:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
You told us you ride between 90 - 240miles per week.
Was it a high mileage week?
You felt better and returned to normal after eating and drinking.....

Probably dehydrated.
Possibly close to bonking.

Was it hotter than normal? Hillier?

see the doctor, of course.
Old 03-10-21, 08:59 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
At 5:55 PM, no doc I know of except in hospitals and ERs are easily available. At 9:55 PM, as I write, I recommend looking up info on the med(s) you take to get a sense of side effects. I'd consider dehydration as a reason and make sure I drank enough water, and I'd add calling my doc tomorrow AM on my to-do list.

I'd also tell myself it's probably something simple - but I'd make the call in the AM.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-10-21, 11:39 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
You were likely dehydrated / needed an electrolyte. Then you take BP pills. So hard to say and maybe you shouldn't be. Taking meds certainly complicates what advice you might get on a forum.

This is not medical advice, but many doctors are not used to folks riding 3 hours. Talking to your doctor is good advice. They give good opinions. Use your brain. They guess a lot and what many do for rides is out of scope for their training or patients. You may know more about your body than the pros do.

If you check your BP and SPO2 (cheap pulse oximeter) and morning resting HR you will get a lot of information that a single visit to a pro can not have. Talking to a doctor and also measuring BP (as you did) morning resting HR and SPO2 can't hurt.
Old 03-11-21, 03:12 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I am planning to .. Just thought to see if someone had similar experience.
I've had similar experience since taking blood pressure pills a couple of years ago which only occurred on post-running or post-cycling days where the drop was so drastic I exhibited the same effects as you did. As you probably already know there's a great variety of BP medication, my GP had me try several different ones over the course of several months, and now settled on one that doesn't result in that much of a drop - post-ride usually 100/80 range. I'm 56 btw.
Old 03-11-21, 03:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
I hope OP is still alive. Update?

Bueller? Bueller???
Likes For datlas: