Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

All-purpose mountain bike tire combination

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-16-21, 12:22 PM
flyagaricus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi folks

I'm fixing up an older mountain bike and want to get new tires (26"). I'll be riding probably 60/40 road/trail respectively (nothing too aggressive off-road)

I've read that you want a fatter tire upfront and thinner in the back, but that seems to be for mostly offroad.

I'd like to suggestions on a good dual-purpose combination of tires.

Thanks
Old 03-16-21, 12:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Buy for the surface you are going to ride the most. At 60/40, I'd get another bike. Trying to make one thing do both, it's going to suck at one greatly or suck at both a little.
Old 03-16-21, 12:49 PM
flyagaricus

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Buy for the surface you are going to ride the most. At 60/40, I'd get another bike. Trying to make one thing do both, it's going to suck at one greatly or suck at both a little.
Fair point
Old 03-16-21, 01:01 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
If you keep the MTB I can recommend the Maxxis DTH; https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-320-137-dth
They come in 26" and either 2.15" or 2.3" widths. I'm running a set that are 2.15" wide and they're light, comfy, and have a file-type tread that work well on gravel trails.
Old 03-16-21, 01:04 PM
flyagaricus

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'll be keeping it I think - perhaps I'll just keep it for offroad only. Are you using the DTH on both front and back?
Old 03-16-21, 01:15 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Yes both front and rear. Since my other two bikes have 700c wheels with 25c and 35c tires (respectively) the 2.15" DTH's look plenty wide and feel super plush.
Old 03-16-21, 05:07 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Bontrager Trail tires also roll pretty smoothly on pavement, and at 1.95” are a good balance between road and mountain. I’ve had no trouble with them on mildly technical trails, though they do pack with mud easily
Old 03-17-21, 02:59 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by flyagaricus
I'll be keeping it I think - perhaps I'll just keep it for offroad only.
Don't give up on wanting to use it on and off road, unless you want to use it competitively. I probably ride my off-road bike on the road about 60% of the time because I ride to the trails, and my bike does not suck. My skills might, but my bike always manages to look the other way...

26" seem very small these days, but that is what we were riding before and during the birth of mountain biking, and today I regularly ride 24" on and off road.

Your bike = your fun
Likes For Geepig:
Old 03-17-21, 10:40 AM
flyagaricus

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
Don't give up on wanting to use it on and off road, unless you want to use it competitively. I probably ride my off-road bike on the road about 60% of the time because I ride to the trails, and my bike does not suck. My skills might, but my bike always manages to look the other way...

26" seem very small these days, but that is what we were riding before and during the birth of mountain biking, and today I regularly ride 24" on and off road.

Your bike = your fun
Definitely not competitive! For now, it's my only bike, but I want to cover more distance so it's time to upgrade for that, once I do, I doubt I'll use the MTB for much more that trails after that - but who knows. Also, I generally will ride to the trails and that's all road.
Likes For flyagaricus:
Old 03-17-21, 11:27 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by flyagaricus
Hi folks

I'm fixing up an older mountain bike and want to get new tires (26"). I'll be riding probably 60/40 road/trail respectively (nothing too aggressive off-road)

I've read that you want a fatter tire upfront and thinner in the back, but that seems to be for mostly offroad.

I'd like to suggestions on a good dual-purpose combination of tires.

Thanks
Go ahead and get relatively wide tires; they'll do better offroad and aren't really slower offroad. Given typical options, this means probably 2"–2.3". Maybe go for some minor tread in the front and almost none in the back, if any. Really you can ride a lot of easy offroad terrain with a nearly slick 2" tire if you run lower air pressure and use some care cornering. Kenda Small Block 8 is a pretty nice low profile knobby for the front. Lots of good lightly treaded xc/gravel options for the rear. Spending more for more supple tires (generally, higher tpi) gets you both lower rolling resistance and grip.
Old 03-20-21, 08:06 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Kenda Kniption; https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...n-26-inch-tire

I have ran these on my 80's mountain bike drop bar conversion. They roll good on pavement and work good on hard pack trails.

Last edited by 02Giant; 03-20-21 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For 02Giant:
Old 03-20-21, 08:29 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I buy off-road tires for my MTB and just tolerate them on pavement. Softer, wider, and knobbier on the front. Right now on mine, soft Nobby Nic front, hard Rocket Ron rear... They were on sale.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-20-21, 07:05 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 567 Posts
I can offer two tire recommendations. Both have very similar tread patterns: the WTB Nano and the Vittoria Mezcal. I own both, have used both on mixed surfaces, and both offer what I think is a pretty nice mix of off-pavement traction and a reasonable level of efficiency and comfort on the road. The tread patterns on both are similar -- they have a broken center rib and angled tread blocks sweeping towards each shoulder. The Nano was introduced at least a decade ago, maybe two (as the Nanoraptor) and this is a proven tire design. The Mezcal is much newer, but appears to be an evolution of the Nano's design concept. I recommend either one.

I have the TCS/Light version of the Nano, with relatively thin and what I consider to be supple sidewalls. I have the TNT version of the Mezcal, with the attractive anthracite sidewall. It feels a bit thicker and more reinforced than the casing on the Nano, but both tires feel about the same once mounted. The Nano has a touch more of a taller/rounder "U" profile. The Mezcal has a more traditional "flattened C" shape to it once mounted.

The WTBs can be a bit hard to find. The Vittorias seem to be in stock on more websites.
Old 03-20-21, 07:49 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Panaracer Gravelking SK 26x2.1"

https://www.panaracerusa.com/product...g-gravel-tires

There's a "plus+" version if you want extra puncture protection.
Old 03-21-21, 11:33 AM
flyagaricus

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I can offer two tire recommendations. Both have very similar tread patterns: the WTB Nano and the Vittoria Mezcal. I own both, have used both on mixed surfaces, and both offer what I think is a pretty nice mix of off-pavement traction and a reasonable level of efficiency and comfort on the road. The tread patterns on both are similar -- they have a broken center rib and angled tread blocks sweeping towards each shoulder. The Nano was introduced at least a decade ago, maybe two (as the Nanoraptor) and this is a proven tire design. The Mezcal is much newer, but appears to be an evolution of the Nano's design concept. I recommend either one.

I have the TCS/Light version of the Nano, with relatively thin and what I consider to be supple sidewalls. I have the TNT version of the Mezcal, with the attractive anthracite sidewall. It feels a bit thicker and more reinforced than the casing on the Nano, but both tires feel about the same once mounted. The Nano has a touch more of a taller/rounder "U" profile. The Mezcal has a more traditional "flattened C" shape to it once mounted.

The WTBs can be a bit hard to find. The Vittorias seem to be in stock on more websites.
Thanks - Are you saying you use the same tires for both front and back?
Old 03-21-21, 12:30 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 567 Posts
I'm not near serious or skilled enough of a rider to ride two different tires to optimize steering or drive traction. I've only ever run these as pairs.
Old 03-22-21, 01:32 PM
flyagaricus

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm not near serious or skilled enough of a rider to ride two different tires to optimize steering or drive traction. I've only ever run these as pairs.
Haha - likewise.