Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

350 pound, 6 foot 1 , 1000$ budget (possible or not?)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 11:26 AM
PoorFatBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi guys,

I had a very positive response on another thread I created but I'm still stuck and don't know what to do.... fat bike , 90s mtb, mountain/ hybrid bike....

I would love to know what I should buy example 80s or 90s steel frame mountain bike (but which brand ?)

Then what should I upgrade ? Type of wheels and cost or link where to get them. Pedals, brakes etc..

I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Thanks a bunch in advance guys I really appreciate it.
Old 04-02-21, 11:43 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Where do you plan to ride it? Roads? Gravel? Trails?
Old 04-02-21, 11:49 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Buy a used hybrid bike or a touring bike $300-$500.

Buy a set of heavy duty wheels from Velomine (https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...&cPath=235_312 ). $300-$400 with cassette, rim tape & shipping.

Get them hand tensioned at a local shop $80-$100.

Add good >38c tires & tubes $100-$200

Enjoy your Summer!

Last edited by stevel610; 04-02-21 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 11:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Buy an inexpensive cruiser with 7 to 9 speeds on the rear and ride it. When you get to having some extra stamina or what ever it is that is motivating you, then you might have a better idea what kind of riding you might want to do... IE, off road, all road, mixed pavement and gravel and etc.

The Trek Electra's can be had for $450 USD. And Electra in their name does not imply they are all electric. Some are, but you pay much more for them.

At that price, you'll have money left over for another bike later that you can add to over time and get a much nicer bike in the 1500 to 2100 USD range. Or if you win the lottery, a 12,0000 USD bike.
Old 04-02-21, 11:59 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
1. Find a bike that will allow you to run the widest tires possible. Something like a 2.5" tire.
2. The one type of bike you must stay away from, is the department store bike with freewheels instead of cassette hubs. These have weak axles liable to bend.
3. The more spokes the better. 36 spoke is better than 32 and 32 is better than 28 or 24.
4. 135mm rear drop out spacing (ie. most 90's and up MTB) is better than 130mm.
5. disc brakes better than rim brakes
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-02-21, 12:05 PM
stevel610 

Oh, also people tend to overthink it. The reality is just about any bike will do, just have the rear wheel tensioned. A year from now you'll know whether you will stick with it and you'll want something else.
Old 04-02-21, 12:06 PM
stevel610 

Could also just go with a Worksman or other industrial bike and be done with worrying. About $500.
Old 04-02-21, 12:53 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-velo-de-mont...oni/1557350313 disregard the Marinoni part because it has nothing to do with that iconic Montreal brand (that I know of). Older bike but looks to be in great condition and your size.

That is all I saw that was worthy of buying on Kijiji. You should check Facebook Marketplace.

Don't worry about upgrading yet. Just buy the bike. Bikes are in short supply, so it is matter of jumping on something when it comes up. Replace parts as the wear out, never replace a working part.

As was talked about in your other thread, a mountain bike without suspension would work nicely. There was another suggestion to check out the Clydesdale threads which would serve you better. I don't know if you did that or not.

BTW I just checked FB and there wasn't anything worth buying. Though I am still liking the bike I posted above.

Last edited by blakcloud; 04-02-21 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added more details.
Old 04-02-21, 01:55 PM
PoorFatBiker

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Where do you plan to ride it? Roads? Gravel? Trails?
Trails, on bike paths, national parks
Likes For PoorFatBiker:
Old 04-02-21, 02:04 PM
PoorFatBiker

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-velo-de-mont...oni/1557350313 disregard the Marinoni part because it has nothing to do with that iconic Montreal brand (that I know of). Older bike but looks to be in great condition and your size.

That is all I saw that was worthy of buying on Kijiji. You should check Facebook Marketplace.

Don't worry about upgrading yet. Just buy the bike. Bikes are in short supply, so it is matter of jumping on something when it comes up. Replace parts as the wear out, never replace a working part.

As was talked about in your other thread, a mountain bike without suspension would work nicely. There was another suggestion to check out the Clydesdale threads which would serve you better. I don't know if you did that or not.

BTW I just checked FB and there wasn't anything worth buying. Though I am still liking the bike I posted above.
Solid advice, I contacted the guy on Kijiji for the bike. I will take that route as I'm already tired of searching.

Thank you very much for taking the time to look for me, that's above and beyond what I could ask for . I'll keep you posted if It works out .
Old 04-02-21, 02:04 PM
PoorFatBiker

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Why start a new thread on the same issue? You'll have folks repeating advice given in the original. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1227014-now-s-your-chance-make-difference-world-help-fat-dude-find-bike.html
Thanks for your advice
Old 04-02-21, 02:06 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorFatBiker
Trails, on bike paths, national parks
OK, what some of the others said; get a decent hybrid bike and make sure the rear wheel is properly tensioned. Lots of choices there, so start at a local bike shop and go from there.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 04-02-21, 02:12 PM
PoorFatBiker

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Buy an inexpensive cruiser with 7 to 9 speeds on the rear and ride it. When you get to having some extra stamina or what ever it is that is motivating you, then you might have a better idea what kind of riding you might want to do... IE, off road, all road, mixed pavement and gravel and etc.

The Trek Electra's can be had for $450 USD. And Electra in their name does not imply they are all electric. Some are, but you pay much more for them.

At that price, you'll have money left over for another bike later that you can add to over time and get a much nicer bike in the 1500 to 2100 USD range. Or if you win the lottery, a 12,0000 USD bike.

Haha love the advice thank you, that "8 ball" model looks really nice !

Fingers crossed for the lottery... not only will I get a bike but all the nice people helping me on here will get a 10k bike as well 😀
Old 04-02-21, 02:14 PM
PoorFatBiker

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Buy a used hybrid bike or a touring bike $300-$500.

Buy a set of heavy duty wheels from Velomine (https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...&cPath=235_312 ). $300-$400 with cassette, rim tape & shipping.

Get them hand tensioned at a local shop $80-$100.

Add good >38c tires & tubes $100-$200

Enjoy your Summer!
Good, if the kijiji bike i was suggested is not available I'll follow this advice , thank you!
Old 04-02-21, 03:17 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I would love to know what I should buy example 80s or 90s steel frame mountain bike (but which brand ?)
Any bike store brand. If you look at the name on the parts you can tell by the model how good the bike will be (if original parts).

...I will take that route as I'm already tired of searching.
Shopping used takes a lot of time to find the right bike. Especially in this market as deals don't last long.
Old 04-02-21, 08:23 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Just get a ****** hybrid and ride it hard AF until it breaks, which it will. Then get another, but by that time you will have lost 50+ lbs. Most bikes are tanks, you aren't too fat to ride, I wouldn't worry about it. Id let you ride my bike etc etc
Old 04-02-21, 08:28 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I like this one mentioned in your duplicate thread.

get this
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 04-02-21, 08:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I like this one mentioned in your duplicate thread.

Other then having oversized tires this has nothing to commend itself to the OPs purpose.

OP, listen to the people saying to get a hybrid, a trek 7000 or something similar will see you just fine. Also follow the advice of swapping out the wheel, start riding with what it comes with and get something ordered that will be stronger and meant to hold up under you longer. A standard hybrid will last just fine under your weight, and even the wheels will last a good amount of time, typically a year of heavy use to several years, my friend's marin hybrid's wheels lasted about 3 years of use and he had 50lbs more then you when he started. Something with 38c tires will be comfortable enough. Also resist the urge to stick the biggest seat on there, the base seat is as wide as you should go, just might need a different one if it isn't that comfortable.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-02-21, 08:56 PM
anthonybkny

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
I would go hybrid if you’re riding for fitness and want to tack on the miles. Fat bike if you’re just riding for fun. Grab a Cannondale from an authorized shop and they will stand behind it.
Old 04-03-21, 09:35 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud

Gianella is a bike shop located in the north west part of the island. Many if not most of the bikes they sold with their store name were in fact built by Marinoni
Old 04-07-21, 06:00 AM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Gianella is a bike shop located in the north west part of the island. Many if not most of the bikes they sold with their store name were in fact built by Marinoni
Thanks for this info, Marinoni helped other companies also. To my knowledge Marinoni never built aluminum bikes, steel of course and there foray into open mold carbon is as far as they got. So it is still bit of a misnomer to say the bike I posted is built by Marinoni, at best it was imported by. But hey I could be wrong, I haven't talked to Guisippi in years and I don't know everything about the companies dealings.

Again thanks for letting me know.