Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Power meter, Ant+, and iphone

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 12:58 PM
403cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, new member here.

I have a Quarq ant+ power meter but no computer. I want to connect it to my iPhone i was wondering what everyone else does?

Do i need an ant+ intermediary device? and is there a chance i could connect my apple watch to it as well?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-21, 02:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It looks to me like the only option is a wahoo fitness key and an adapter to lightning. Which is expensive and sounds pretty clunky.
Old 04-03-21, 02:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You can use a 4iiii Viiiiva heart rate monitor to bridge from Ant+ to bluetooth. I got one to use my Quarq on the Zwift ios app.
Old 04-04-21, 02:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For most phones (and computers) you'll need an ANT+ dongle or adapter. They cost around $15-$30, much cheaper now than those sold about 10 years ago.

With my old iPhone 4s I used a 2012 Wahoo Fitness kit with ANT+ adapter that also served as a protective case for the phone. That was necessary at the time for my ANT+ only (no Bluetooth option) Wahoo speed/cadence sensors that were cabled together and used magnets on the wheel and crank. Back then that rig retailed for around $150-$200. I bought a second for only $5 from Amazon Warehouse last year because nobody uses 'em anymore.

However that combination drained the phone battery quickly and wasn't practical for longer rides. I still use it for indoor trainer sessions. I can hook up a USB battery for longer sessions if needed.

XOSS makes the G+, a good, no frills and cheap bike computer that's compatible with Bluetooth and ANT+, except for power meters -- the company is working on that issue. The XOSS G+ works with all my Bluetooth and ANT+ sensors. It even works on my runs.

But it doesn't work properly for indoor trainer sessions. Unless I'm actually moving the XOSS G+ glitches. Even with a speed sensor on the rear wheel it won't record full data for a trainer session on a stationary bike. Apparently it relies on GPS data even with a wheel sensor.

Hopefully XOSS is working on that issue too. If they fix it it'll be a good cheap device at around $25-$50 for all cycling ANT+ and Bluetooth sensors, for outdoor rides and indoor trainer sessions.
Old 04-04-21, 01:05 PM
403cyclist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is all really great info, thank you all!

for what i am looking to do I think the 4iiii Viiiiva heart rate monitor to bridge between my bike and strava on my phone is the answer. In the winter i can connect to zwift the same way.

Thanks again!
Likes For 403cyclist: