Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

First wheel build: CXP30 rim thickness for Sapim calculator?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-07-21, 12:46 PM
Jantaras

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Hello,

I want to build my first wheel. I have Campagnolo (Chorus?) rear hub and Mavic CXP 30 rim.
I want to use Sapim spokes so tried Sapim spoke calculator:
https://www.sapim.be/spoke-calculator

All measurements are quite straightforward except rim thickness. Looks like Sapim uses IRD + rim thicknes, not ERD? These CXP30 are somewhat deep rims, so I have trouble measuring thickness. As I measure from the deepest part as shown in my pictures, I get 22 mm. But the nipple will go way deeper so I believe this measturement is too long. Internet says the ERD of these rims is 588 mm. My measured IRD is 572 mm. Does it mean the thickness for Sapim calculator should be 8 mm?

An additional question: do I need something more than spokes and nipples for this rim? Velobase scanned document says something about an reinforcement eyelet in assembly kit.

Thanks for you thoughts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_5214_copy_774x1376.jpg (161.5 KB, 92 views)
DSC_5215_copy_774x1376.jpg (159.5 KB, 94 views)
DSC_5212_copy_1376x774.jpg (120.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 04-08-21, 01:01 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Why are you doing things the hard way?

Simply grab two spokes of known length...

...assuming 12mm standard profile nipples, set to the bottom of the screwdriver flat on both spokes.

Zinch em up with an analog caliper taut...

Spoke Length + Caliper Reading + Spoke Length = Effective Rim Diameter

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 04-08-21, 07:40 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Spoke calc shows 587mm for these rims. I have found his measurements reliable.
Old 04-09-21, 01:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
I have to admit that this is the first time I have heard of rim bed thickness as a factor in calculating spoke length. Since the nipple seats on the ERD side of the rim and spoke calculators take into consideration the nipple head amount (although somewhat differently so use one calculator and create the personal preference of spoke overlap with the nipple head amount that you like) how much rim thickness is not an issue. Now what could be a rim bed thickness aspect is nipple length. The extreme is a wood rim which will need a nipple long enough to reach beyond the solid rim. Andy
Old 04-09-21, 01:22 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Agree with Andrew and really like MrRabbits way of doing that, seems quick and simple. The "aero" portion of the rim does not affect spoke length.
Old 04-09-21, 02:37 PM
Jantaras

Thanks for your responses!

I haven't got any loose spokes yet, so I can't use them to measure. But I think they would measure the ERD, not the rim thickness.

Most online calculators use ERD, but looks like Sapim uses it differently. As far as I understand, the ERD is rim thickness x2 +internal rim diameter. So I think Sapim uses ERD, but it is split in 2 parts: the IRD and rim thickness. Also, Sapims calculator is very simple if one uses vintage rims (most of my rims). These deeper rims are a bit complicated.

Am I rigt calculating it in this way: my measured IRD is 572 mm. CXP30 ERD is 587 mm. So rim thickness is (587-572)/2=7,5 mm ?
Old 04-09-21, 03:37 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Jantaras

I haven't got any loose spokes yet, so I can't use them to measure. But I think they would measure the ERD, not the rim thickness.

Most online calculators use ERD, but looks like Sapim uses it differently. As far as I understand, the ERD is rim thickness x2 +internal rim diameter. So I think Sapim uses ERD, but it is split in 2 parts: the IRD and rim thickness. Also, Sapims calculator is very simple if one uses vintage rims (most of my rims). These deeper rims are a bit complicated.

Am I rigt calculating it in this way: my measured IRD is 572 mm. CXP30 ERD is 587 mm. So rim thickness is (587-572)/2=7,5 mm ?
To simplify this the ERD is measured from inside to inside of the spokes holes 180 degrees (diameter) apart.
I have a CXP33 rim and I get the the same ERD as the Damon Rinard spoke calc. 588mm.

I used his calculator and got 282 and 284 mm spoke lengths.

Last edited by davidad; 04-09-21 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-09-21, 08:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by Jantaras

7,5mm is a huge Al rim bed thickness. Huge. Maybe half that is more typical. Of course it might include a nipple ferule and Mavic did use these on some of their Aero rims. The ferules might be set into the rims or added during the build.

I suggest you get a measuring caliper and begin measuring actual dimensions and not rely on published specs. This is a well know practice for better wheel builders. Andy
Old 08-12-21, 05:22 AM
Jantaras

Hello all,

an update. I ended up using the Sapim calculator, I believe I used 8 mm for rim thickness, in any case, got spoke lengths of 284 mm DS and 286 mm NDS. Used 16 mm brass nipples. Sapim spokes were out of stock, so ordered DT 1,8/1,6/1,8 spokes.
The wheel is waiting for a test of time and use, I think it is not bad, at least for my eyes and for a first build There are a lot of good tutorials on the net, I used Jim Langley's video on Youtube.
Spokes are not threaded to the end of the nipple, but quite close to it.
Attached Images
12.jpg (192.2 KB, 41 views)
13.jpg (161.0 KB, 41 views)
11.jpg (172.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-12-21, 09:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Good job. Andy