Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Quill stems installation marks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 05:55 PM
Gods lonely man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

Almost every quill stem that I have bought/installed had this typical marks, same scratches you see on the handlebars after forcing the stem into them. My guess is the ones with a lot of marks were harder to get off the steering tube, or maybe the rider played a lot with the height...
is there any tip to avoid those, apart from using grease and the correct size components?

Like this.
Old 04-07-21, 06:28 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Hone the tube.
Old 04-07-21, 06:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
And chamfer the top.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-07-21, 07:12 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
And chamfer the top.
Just to add a bit to what merziac said, it is the corners and edges that cause the scratches. I'm a frame builder so it is not effort for me to take one of my fine toothed files and put a slight chamfer on every edge. Aluminum is soft so one has to do this carefully so not to take too much. When handlebars have been clamped they don't necessary spring back to their original size. I use a large flat tool (like a Campy 15mm crank tool) to spread the stem head apart while wrestling the handlebars onto the stem.
Old 04-07-21, 07:15 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Take a small and a small to meduim ball peen hammer and just tap tap on the gouges on the post until they start to fill in...move the metal by tap tap tapping it. You’ll see what’s happening eventually...use both sides of the hammer...starting with the peen, the rounded side...then tap tap the little round indents with the flat side...in the end use med steel wool...aggressively...then work forwards fine steel wool until the gouges just disappear...

Last edited by billnuke1; 04-07-21 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Words..
Old 04-07-21, 07:57 PM
Gods lonely man

Originally Posted by billnuke1
Take a small and a small to meduim ball peen hammer and just tap tap on the gouges on the post until they start to fill in...move the metal by tap tap tapping it. You’ll see what’s happening eventually...use both sides of the hammer...starting with the peen, the rounded side...then tap tap the little round indents with the flat side...in the end use med steel wool...aggressively...then work forwards fine steel wool until the gouges just disappear...
I don't know if I have the skills to do that, I will practice with the cheap ones first.
Old 04-08-21, 07:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Another advantage of threadless headset systems.
Old 04-08-21, 07:58 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
Hone the tube.
I have had to take a bastard file to the inside of a steerer on a Confente no less decades ago where the other mechanic did over-hone the steerer. Too much of a good thing.
the chamfer or at least emery cloth dressing of the end of the steerer is usually enough.
that and feel the entrance of the steerer after the headset is installed to know if there is a hitch.

most frequent I have found is a stem gets slammed just beyond the round region and the top nut leaves a mark.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-08-21, 10:05 AM
Gods lonely man

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Another advantage of threadless headset systems.
I love the look of quill stems, some are a work of art, but the system itself, and all the sizing/compatibility issues are a pain in the ass.
Old 04-08-21, 10:16 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Polish it to a mirror finish.
Old 04-08-21, 10:31 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I think the older style ones like this is a bit difficult because the cone/wedge spreads the stem itself making contact with the fork tubing. Like a stuck seat post it's going to scrape against any corrosion or dirt in there when removing it. If I knew it was this type of stem before hand I would soak it with a really good penetrating oil for a while to reduce the scraping. But to be honest my experience with these stems is a bit limited and the few I dealt with came out easy.
Old 04-08-21, 12:20 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
I believe some of you might be wrong or at least barking up the wrong tree. I understand this could come cross as pompous but please hear me out.

Have any one of you had problems installing a quill stem? Has it snagged and/or scorched (please take into account I am not English speaking) when installing it? This is an important question for what is following. Please think about it and be honest. Have any of you actually had problems installing a quill stem because of tight tolerances?

I have just short of 40 years of experience of quill stems and to my knowledge I have never ever had a problem installing one. OK - there are some different standards but if you are within a specific standard there is no problem. Some grease and then it slides in. I hope all of you grease up the stem and wedge/wedged ring before installing stems?

So... my dear fellow C&V enthusiasts... Why would it suddenly become a problem when you want to remove the stem and causing all these grinding marks on stems?

It is not like with the seatpost where you in 99% of the cases have a variable size hole (a slot with a bolt changing the size - clamping down on the seatpost). In 90% of the cases you do have a problem installing the seatpost. In that case there is cause to use a reamer or a honing device - or simply de-burr the slot with a file. Often this has to be done because of the slot having irregularities, the lug has been brazed and lost its roundness, etc. I correct this using appropriate measures depending on graveness.

But - the fork tube...!? OK - there might in some unusual cases be a need to use a file because someone has hacksawed off the tube but that is very uncommon. I believe I have used a file once in almost 40 years.

I belive the problem with scorched stems stem (pun not intended - but...) from two things (in order and often in combination):
1. Mainly - when installing a quill stem you should absolutely not adjust the headset until after the stem is properly fastened. And of course you should not try to remove the stem until you have unscrewed the headset lock nut and washer being lose.
2. You did not grease the stem when installing it (or more likely the schmuck that did it did not) and when many years later you need to get it out - to get it moving you are not able to use upward force without "wiggling" it.

OK - lash out. I can take it.

Last edited by styggno1; 04-08-21 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Got problems with spelling measures.,..
Old 04-08-21, 12:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
I believe some of you might be wrong or at least barking up the wrong tree. I understand this could come cross as pompous but please hear me out.

Have any one of you had problems installing a quill stem? Has it snagged and/or scorched (please take into account I am not English speaking) when installing it? This is an important question for what is following. Please think about it and be honest. Have any of you actually had problems installing a quill stem because of tight tolerances?

I have just short of 40 years of experience of quill stems and to my knowledge I have never ever had a problem installing one. OK - there are some different standards but if you are within a specific standard there is no problem. Some grease and then it slides in. I hope all of you grease up the stem and wedge/wedged ring before installing stems?

So... my dear fellow C&V enthusiasts... Why would it suddenly become a problem when you want to remove the stem and causing all these grinding marks on stems?

It is not like with the seatpost where you in 99% of the cases have a variable size hole (a slot with a bolt changing the size - clamping down on the seatpost). In 90% of the cases you do have a problem installing the seatpost. In that case there is cause to use a reamer or a honing device - or simply de-burr the slot with a file. Often this has to be done because of the slot having irregularities, the lug has been brazed and lost its roundness, etc. I correct this using appropriate mesaures depending on graveness.

But - the fork tube...!? OK - there might in some unusual cases be a need to use a file because someone has hacksawed off the tube but that is very uncommon. I believe I have used a file once in almost 40 years.

I belive the problem with scorched stems stem (pun not intended - but...) from two things (in order and often in combination):
1. Mainly - when installing a quill stem you should absolutely not adjust the headset until after the stem is properly fastened. And of course you should not try to remove the stem until you have unscrewed the headset lock nut and washer being lose.
2. You did not grease the stem when installing it (or more likely the schmuck that did it did not) and when many years later you need to get it out - to get it moving you are not able to use upward force without "wiggling" it.

OK - lash out. I can take it.
Your answer is here:
Originally Posted by jiangshi
Hone the tube.
And chamfer the top.
99% of your issues are solved by chamfering the top. On an older bike, the inner surface of the tubing may have been dinged from a poor installation of a stem. Expander wedges are often steel, sometimes they're over tightened.

If when building up a frame I notice that the stem isn't going in smoothly, I'll back out and chamfer the top. I've never honed a steerer, but realize it might have to be done.
Old 04-08-21, 01:09 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

...Snip...

I've never honed a steerer, but realize it might have to be done.
And I believe this (above) is exactly my point.

Edit + I have never had a quill stem come up with more marks than when it went in... ;-)
Edit II, Gugie - how would a over tightened steel wedge scar the stem. It is at the bottom...? It comes up still at the bottom. ;-)

Last edited by styggno1; 04-08-21 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 02:15 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Most of the time, these zig zag scratches on stems and seatlosts are caused by people that are impatient and tried to twist off the stem or sestpost from the bike, before the stem quill or sest lug seatpost clamp is adequately loosened. I always cringe when I see people do this in videos of people working on their bikes.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 04-08-21, 03:26 PM
Gods lonely man

Originally Posted by styggno1
Have any one of you had problems installing a quill stem? Has it snagged and/or scorched (please take into account I am not English speaking) when installing it?
Yep, right now, it's the first time I have a problem getting in a quill stem, is always the other way around, the stem I am installing has already some little zig zag marks from the previous owner, and it doesn't slide all the way down like it should, so I want to be very cautious, it's in great shape for his age (50s-60s) and leaving some nasty marks would ruin it, even though I am going to slam it all the way down.
Old 04-08-21, 08:26 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
I do this to all my stems but I find it happens coming out not going in. The trick is to pull it straight out not rock it around.
Old 04-09-21, 06:45 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
styggno1 I agree- I’ve never had that result on a stem, but several times on seatposts. I think you looked perfectly at some of the reasons why.
Apparently this can happen on this kind of expander-plug stem too!
Old 04-09-21, 08:14 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I do have one bike that has a steer tube that needs the headset locknut needs a hone. I could not put the stem on when the headset was at correct install.
Old 04-09-21, 08:46 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
And chamfer the top.
chamfer? i hardly know her!
Likes For the sci guy: