Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Quick questions and answers

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Quick questions and answers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 12:57 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Are you really expecting us to take the word of some Shimano drone over the alpha-dog of this forum?

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Was it worth the time you spent sleuthing up those quotes to "win" an argument on the internet? FWIW I still say it's not necessary.
Actually did it more for self-entertainment than anything else...

Carry on
Old 06-20-16, 01:03 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for that.

Some relevant highlights.

One of Shimano’s main tech gurus, Nick Murdick

The grease that comes on a Shimano chain is applied at the factory to the individual pieces before the chain is assembled. The grease does a better job of reducing friction than aftermarket chain lubes and it lasts longer.
So the best thing to do when installing a new chain is to leave the factory grease on, not apply any other lube, ride until it wears out and then start applying liquid chain lube.
The factory grease also keeps the chain nice and quiet. After soaking a chain in degreaser and then lubing the chain with liquid lubricant the chain gets noticeably louder.
So it appears I was not hallucinating.
Old 06-20-16, 01:10 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Facts shmacts.
Old 06-20-16, 01:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Thanks for that.

Some relevant highlights.

One of Shimano’s main tech gurus, Nick Murdick

The grease that comes on a Shimano chain is applied at the factory to the individual pieces before the chain is assembled. The grease does a better job of reducing friction than aftermarket chain lubes and it lasts longer.
So it appears I was not hallucinating.

What I don't understand is why everyone acts like the factory lube is made of unicorn blood, that is is completely unavailable to anyone apart from the guy who operates the lube machine in the Shimano factory in Japan. It must be commercially available somewhere.

Imma find it, package it and sell it at high end bike botiques, enough to do one chain for like $50.

Feeling a kickstarter coming on.
Old 06-20-16, 05:30 PM
Owlex

Bikes: Not As Many As I'd Like

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
What I don't understand is why everyone acts like the factory lube is made of unicorn blood, that is is completely unavailable to anyone apart from the guy who operates the lube machine in the Shimano factory in Japan. It must be commercially available somewhere.

Imma find it, package it and sell it at high end bike botiques, enough to do one chain for like $50.

$50? Come the fk on. People already pay $140 for pre "optimized" chains. ( https://www.ceramicspeed.com/sport/products/Chains ) You should be able to get at least $200 for a jug of "optimal" lube
Old 06-20-16, 06:00 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

It's not that factory lube is unicorn blood or something beyond reproach. It really boils down to the fact that it's a new chain free of grit and dirt, and each part has been lubed pre-assembly insuring all of the spaces between the pins and bushings etc. have adequate lubricant. It's hard to get a used chain fully clean with a fresh application of lubricant to soak into every nook and cranny. Not that it's the end of the world if you don't, it's really just lube on a chain
Old 06-20-16, 06:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by hardboiled718
It's not that factory lube is unicorn blood or something beyond reproach. It really boils down to the fact that it's a new chain free of grit and dirt, and each part has been lubed pre-assembly insuring all of the spaces between the pins and bushings etc. have adequate lubricant. It's hard to get a used chain fully clean with a fresh application of lubricant to soak into every nook and cranny. Not that it's the end of the world if you don't, it's really just lube on a chain
But many people are saying that it is "far superior" to any aftermarket lube you can get.

I still say its nothing but Cosmoline Rust Veto 342. Some day when I have $39 to blow and nothing better to do I'm going to order a quart of the stuff, heat it in a coffee can and soak a chain in it to find out.

My grandfather used to have cans of cosmoline in his garage. Rolls of 25% silver solder, gallon cans of flux, jars of mercury, benzyne, all just laying around. For some reason he screwed a hose clamp onto the fender well under the hood of his car and used it to hold a glass bottle of carbon tetrachloride. I don't know why.
[h=1][/h]
Old 06-20-16, 07:59 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I honestly cannot believe this is still being discussed.
Old 06-20-16, 08:08 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Hey Scrod, how big are your thighs? I heard there is some dude running around here with 31 inchers!

damnit meant to put this in the ask scrod thread

Last edited by Wspsux; 06-20-16 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-20-16, 08:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I honestly cannot believe this is still being discussed.
Exactly Sheldon Brown already discussed this at length on his website, why would anyone feel the need to go against his word?

The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System
Old 06-20-16, 09:03 PM
hardboiled718

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
But many people are saying that it is "far superior" to any aftermarket lube you can get.

I still say its nothing but Cosmoline Rust Veto 342. Some day when I have $39 to blow and nothing better to do I'm going to order a quart of the stuff, heat it in a coffee can and soak a chain in it to find out.

My grandfather used to have cans of cosmoline in his garage. Rolls of 25% silver solder, gallon cans of flux, jars of mercury, benzyne, all just laying around. For some reason he screwed a hose clamp onto the fender well under the hood of his car and used it to hold a glass bottle of carbon tetrachloride. I don't know why.
I see a number of people who agree it's not necessary to apply additional lubricant to a new chain, but not much in the way of "far superior". Like I said before I think it has to do more with the chain's individual parts being lubed pre-assembly and being new, free of grit, not necessarily the quality of lubricant used.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Exactly Sheldon Brown already discussed this at length on his website, why would anyone feel the need to go against his word?

The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System
Haha, that's awesome
Old 06-23-16, 10:28 AM
jacobsever

Bikes: Super Pisa, Vigorelli, Scrambler

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone know anything about Lotto shoes? I found a pair in my size, locally on Craigslist. But I can't find anything about them at all. They seem to be a soccer company, and make lots of soccer products. But I can't find any information about their cycling shoes. Model is apparently "1000". Google yielded nothing.

Old 06-23-16, 08:45 PM
velofinds

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Real dumb question alert: I just popped my crabon wheel cherry ... but I'm not using carbon-specific pads (yet). I intend on getting some, but in the meantime, I'm using brand-spanking-new, never-before-used Campy Record brake pads (the ones that came with the calipers) which, obviously, were intended to be used with alloy wheels. Initial report is that the bike stops when I squeeze the levers, so there's that at least. Burning questions:

1) am I doing damage to my wheels?
2) what's the worst that can happen?
Old 06-23-16, 08:53 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

In theory, standard brake pads are made of rubber that is much too hard - and get too hot - for carbon rims and will eventually damage the sidewalls. Pads designed specifically for carbon rims will wear faster, but your rims will last much longer. Cork pads are also suitable for use on carbon but they suck.

You spent the money on carbon wheels, spend a little extra on the right pads.
Old 06-24-16, 01:02 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have experience with the shimano and enve carbon pads, both seem to be about the same.

I have heard good thing about the blue reynolds pads tho but haven't tried them.

Old 06-26-16, 05:55 PM
jacobsever

Bikes: Super Pisa, Vigorelli, Scrambler

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question about my seatpost. It's been slipping a lot lately.

It fell that much during an easy 9 mile ride, averaging 15mph. Just a casual stroll to get breakfast.

Yes, the seat post is the correct size. The clamp is tightened as tight as it can go. I'm wondering if the clamp is just getting worn out? I can't find any place that sells replacements, short of contacting Bianchi directly.

Doesn't look like the only person that's faced this problem either.

https://www.******.com/r/FixedGearBicycle/comments/2bdf7s/question_my_thomson_seatpost_keeps_slipping_on_my/
Old 06-26-16, 06:40 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Clean all the grease off the post and from inside the seat tube. Use carbon installation paste instead.
Old 06-26-16, 06:43 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jacobsever
Does anyone know anything about Lotto shoes?
Chime in @ C&V.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 06-29-16, 11:34 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Why doesn't Chris King make 120mm rear hubs? Seems really odd.
Old 06-29-16, 11:41 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...rack-hubs.html
Old 06-29-16, 01:30 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Because Phil Wood already does it better than they could.
Old 06-29-16, 01:59 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
I see.

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Because Phil Wood already does it better than they could.
Good to know!
Old 07-03-16, 08:48 PM
seau grateau

Been experiencing more than average post-ride pain in the outer-side of knee area (both legs) recently. Fitment issue or just regular strain? I have been going on longer, harder rides more frequently the past couple weeks, so it seems like maybe I've just been giving my legs a little more than they can handle on the new road bike.
Old 07-03-16, 09:30 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Been experiencing more than average post-ride pain in the outer-side of knee area (both legs) recently. Fitment issue or just regular strain? I have been going on longer, harder rides more frequently the past couple weeks, so it seems like maybe I've just been giving my legs a little more than they can handle on the new road bike.
If this pain is new to you, then it is likely due to something you just started doing. However, you changed two things recently, new road bike and increased effort. Pick the one you have the most control over the variables, and change it. In this case, effort level. Gives your knees a couple of days of rest, then if they feel normal ride at your previous effort level. If this does not bring back the pain, it is likel a fit issue.
Old 07-03-16, 09:37 PM
seau grateau

Yeah, that makes sense. Leg extension is basically the same as my other bikes, haven't looked closely at fore-aft saddle position. It also has 172.5mm cranks as opposed to 170 and 165 on my other bikes, but I don't know if that would really have an effect here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.