Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 10:10 AM
uppgrayed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What part of the country do you guys live in where people have all these bikes and are just tossing them? I live in the south, I don't think we even have a dump!
Old 11-07-09, 11:17 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wow, nice catch for $25.

Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
Scored at a yard sale this morning...three Schwinns - two Varsities and a Continental and two mixtes...a Soma Cosmopolitan and Raleigh Rapide...$25 for the lot...

Old 11-07-09, 04:11 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Oddly enough, I was returning home from the Chicago area C&V ride this afternoon and found this Nishiki Competition at the local thrift. It has forged drops, chrome stays and fork tips, Suntour GT RD and Sunshine hubs.
Old 11-07-09, 05:34 PM
jcharles00

Bikes: Colnago Dream CX, Gary Fisher XCal, Diamondback Haanjo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

monday I grabbed 4 schwinn le tours off of craigslist. The poster wanted some garage space back and said they had to all go at once. I was happy to oblige.

They all seem to be made in Japan, except the dark blue one which says chicago on the sticker/badge, although, from what I gather it was from Japan too. that one had 1020 tubing, shimano altus and a sugino crank. Also had a really short head tube. serial: SI229170
The yellow one, which was the cruddiest of the bunch had the serial: 4A33137
The step through (V491016) and the other one in matching light blue (F423074) were in pretty good shape both with headlights, and one with a generator and back light.

I'm planning to put a SS/Fixed gear wheel on the dark blue one for running around the neighborhood, and I may keep the light blue mens for a bad weather bike. haven't figured out the other ones yet.
Old 11-07-09, 07:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
Scored at a yard sale this morning...three Schwinns - two Varsities and a Continental and two mixtes...a Soma Cosmopolitan and Raleigh Rapide...$25 for the lot...
Around here, the hipsters love the old EF Schwinns. And any mixte is hot as well. Great finds! Just sold my last mixte yesterday.

I love the garage sale "take the lot" deals. My last two buys were that way, four bikes at one sale, two at the other.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-07-09 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 07:39 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by jcharles00

monday I grabbed 4 schwinn le tours off of craigslist. The poster wanted some garage space back and said they had to all go at once. I was happy to oblige.

They all seem to be made in Japan, except the dark blue one which says chicago on the sticker/badge, although, from what I gather it was from Japan too. that one had 1020 tubing, shimano altus and a sugino crank.
I have a gray/silver version of your dark blue LeTour. Pretty decent bike for 1020 tubing. I also had a mixte, You should have fun with it!
Old 11-07-09, 09:40 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Tonight I followed up on a CL ad......I called yesterday and could'nt get through. A Club Fuji pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, which happens to be near where I live. Guy says he got it from his cousin who rode it about 3 times and bought something better. Well it looks brand new to me.........and uuuum.............. it's my size Full RX100, Ish Triple butted, channeled, Feather tubing. I'm not crazy about the color scheme, but I think this will be my new ride til something better comes along.
Old 11-07-09, 10:17 PM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
Tonight I followed up on a CL ad......I called yesterday and could'nt get through. A Club Fuji pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, which happens to be near where I live. Guy says he got it from his cousin who rode it about 3 times and bought something better. Well it looks brand new to me.........and uuuum.............. it's my size Full RX100, Ish Triple butted, channeled, Feather tubing. I'm not crazy about the color scheme, but I think this will be my new ride til something better comes along.
Nice Find!!
Old 11-08-09, 05:47 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
[QUOTE=r0ckh0und;10002220]Tonight I followed up on a CL ad......I called yesterday and could'nt get through. A Club Fuji pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, which happens to be near where I live. Guy says he got it from his cousin who rode it about 3 times and bought something better. Well it looks brand new to me.........and uuuum.............. it's my size Full RX100, Ish Triple butted, channeled, Feather tubing. I'm not crazy about the color scheme, but I think this will be my new ride til something better comes along.[/QUOTE]

The Club Fuji is a pretty nice bike. You may have to wait awhile til something better comes along, since you found "something better" already
Old 11-08-09, 06:47 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und

Look at you. You're picking up stuff left and right. Nice catch.
Old 11-08-09, 11:53 AM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Picked these up today

Schwinn Varsity
Schwinn Le Tour
Schwinn World
Diamond Back Joker
Gary Fisher MTB

Old 11-08-09, 01:50 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The latest addition

Old 11-08-09, 01:54 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by michael k
The latest addition
I dig the mud guard safety feature: now with more slow-you-down air scooping power!
Old 11-08-09, 02:03 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just a big pile of junk bikes today. heres two and a neat chain guard. the chain guard will be painted black and put on my old Raleigh Sports. I likes the look of it. I didn't bother taking pics of the junk bikes because they aint worth it. heres two and guard.

That road bike is a baby road bike that will clean up very good.
Old 11-08-09, 02:09 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
I dig the mud guard safety feature: now with more slow-you-down air scooping power!
I've been after a set of these (Bluemels Popular).The bike was a bonus.
Old 11-08-09, 06:18 PM
flashharry80

Bikes: 1985 peugeot UO8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh crikey-its been a good weekend. And I only spent fifteen quid!
Been helping a friend move, so theres been a few dump trips.
First one nets us a raleigh road bike (pics to follow,) complete, dirty, with some scratches, too big for me(shame).
And then, today, ive reached the point where ive for the first time been able to turn things down because they simply arent worth the effort! never been in tat position before, Mancunians arent known for chucking things out- round my area at least, before they are utterly dead.
so anyway, here we go:-the first three are decent enough although the giant has a seized seatpost and is-i swear -set up for someone no shorter than 6' 6". the next 2 mountain bikes are nothing special, although virtually unused british eagle especially are pretty awful-i hope you guys lucky enough to live in the states dont have them. live near the student area of town though, so someone should get some use out of them as a cheap commuter. And a kids bike cos i need a wheel for a trailer. cant see it being worth any further effort.
the best of them, i think is the raleigh, and i shall have pics up tomorrow, all being equal.forgive me if i fail, theres a beerfestival on soon, and i shall be carting all the scaffolding we use as supports around for most of tomorrow. its important work, and my does it develop a thirst!

Last edited by flashharry80; 11-09-09 at 04:37 AM. Reason: edit-copied and pasted part n crappy laptop keyboard.
Old 11-08-09, 06:41 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Nice finds! The Giant and the Raleigh appear to be the best. As far as the stuck seatpost goes, try soaking it with some common household ammonia. I'm told it attacks the aluminum, thereby breaking the bond that sticks them together. Never tried it before on a bicycle, but I do know it worked to remove some rusted up exhaust header bolts on a 1984 Suzuki Katana (yes, the pop up headlight version) I bought a few years ago. Aluminum head & steel bolts, about the same as aluminum seatpost, steel frame. Good luck!
Old 11-09-09, 04:38 AM
flashharry80

Bikes: 1985 peugeot UO8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks mate- im treating it with wd40 at the moment, will ammonia attack the paint? and is it sold under a brand name?
Old 11-09-09, 05:43 AM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Don't know if it will attack paint or not, maybe put a drop or two somewhere inconspicuous to test?

I don't know of any brand name, should be able to find it in the cleaning supplies section of your local grocery store....
Old 11-09-09, 06:07 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I don't think ammonia will harm the paint, it has been discussed here before I believe. You take out the bottom bracket, and pour it through there with the frame upside down. Probably the best way is through a funnel with flexible tubing attached. From what I hear the seatpost just falls out in about a week, so hang it over a drain pan and alert everyone to not move said pan, hehe.,,,,BD
Old 11-09-09, 07:07 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had good luck putting the whole bike outside in 20 degree (F)....Aluminum contracts faster & seems to pop the bond...or, it did on a couple bikes I had stuck posts on (one had a little ammonia dropped into the flutes of the seat post too).
Old 11-09-09, 07:14 AM
BLUMEANIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
are those starblazers or voltron stickers?
They're Voltron magnets. A friend's company recently did the new marketing bits for voltron as well as the voltron.com redesign.
Old 11-09-09, 07:40 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
The weather is finally cooling off enough here for the yard sale season, and the flea market has been interesting too. Spotted a nice fillet-brazed Super Sport last week with a $150 price tag on it and a sing saying "aluminum." I felt like setting the seller straight on the metal, so we put a magnet on it and he played dumb and muttered something about the aluminum stem, but it was there again yesterday with the same sign...

My friend picked up this tall 84 Trek 520, which will clean up very nicely.

I got a nice Carlton-made Super Course with 531 tubing and plain Bocama lugs in my size, which will probably replace my Phillips Sports once I clean it up. This makes up for the last two I passed up in the last few years...

Old 11-09-09, 12:19 PM
sonatageek

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
May or may not end up being anything great, but I bought about 100 bike related magazines from a guy off Craigslist. They are late 80's to the early 00's. Hoping for some interesting ads, perhaps an article or two --
Old 11-09-09, 12:31 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Wow, the small size make those seat stays look so long!

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.