Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 01:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
tashi, how did people come to know you as a bike collector so quickly?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-12-10, 01:40 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Oh, no one knows me here yet - I went out and caught these on my own!
Old 03-12-10, 08:31 PM
Cyclist754
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Took the rack off the Fiori and yes, it wasn't close to 5lbs! LOL

I do have a question for you guys. While cleaning it up I noticed that the crank arms seems loose. Well not the arms...It's almost like the crank arms and axel can move back and forth vertically...This is hard to explain...

Any ideas?
Old 03-12-10, 10:28 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by EY3
Took the rack off the Fiori and yes, it wasn't close to 5lbs! LOL

I do have a question for you guys. While cleaning it up I noticed that the crank arms seems loose. Well not the arms...It's almost like the crank arms and axel can move back and forth vertically...This is hard to explain...

Any ideas?
Sounds like one of the cups has come loose, you'll want to fix that before the BB gets damaged. Best to pull the cranks off and inspect & relube the bearings while you're down there...
Old 03-12-10, 11:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Don't know if it's a catch or not, but it's not in the landfill. Trek 560 54cm.
Reynolds 501, DC calipers, DC levers, Belleri bars, SR stem, Matrix Strada wheels laced to Maillard hubs (5-sp Helicomatic)
Sakae crankset (like the Ofmega Mistral, just not as nice), Suntour Cyclone M-II FD, Shimano Light Action long cage RD, Suntour friction DT shifters.
No seat post, no saddle. Specialized Turbo 700x23 whitewall tires., looks like the ol' steel headset and BB. MKS Sylvan quill pedals w/Lapize cages.
The bars are weird, the tops curve forward at least an inch, maybe an inch and a half. Excellent for drop bar riding.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-14-10 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-13-10, 05:57 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Woo Hoo!

I've officially joined the C&V club!

Just picked up a 1987 Miyata 512. TT is 21 inches exactly (about 54cm). Yellow/grey blend paint in good condition, Shimano parts (sub-105) without name, but as per original spec. Wolber rims. Not the best bike in the world, but will keep me quiet on weekends while I fix it up and is a good start.

This bike lived in Singapore and is now in Hong Kong, so all the bare alloy and steel parts a crusty coating on them. I will need the oxalic acid for the steel and whatever you need for alloy (searching...), but the paint is good and it would probably be ridable with new tyres and a chain clean. Seat post and stem not stuck.

HK$500 (about US$65).

Will post pics later tonight if I can.
Old 03-13-10, 08:22 AM
mismith

Bikes: Bianchi 1885,Specialized Allez Elite, 1974 Raleigh International, 1950 Schwinn Black Phantom, 1948 Western Flyer Super

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got Lucky and found a few Road Bikes. These were all sitting beside the curb w/the trash the night before pickup here in our town. I had no idea what they were but I love bikes. I am an avid Cyclist and I love antiques anyway. The prize was this 1974 Raleigh International! It is in amazingly nice cond. and is complete and original except for the saddle. I need a good vintage Brooks Professional saddle for it. It is my size too! Campy Record components, everything works but all needs cleaning,etc,cables replaced. I do however need a longer stem for it. Anybody got one? I will enjoy this project and hope to ride it soon. The next one is a Gitane Interclub and it's a big frame, 24-1/2" from center of BB to top of seat tube, top tube from center to seat post was 23-1/2". The girl's bike is a Takara. I want to sell the Gitane and Takara if there's a market at all for them? They might be up for trade as well? If anyone can use them let me know. I don't know if there worth putting on e-bay or not?

Old 03-13-10, 08:37 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mismith
I just got Lucky and found a few Road Bikes. These were all sitting beside the curb w/the trash the night before pickup here in our town. I had no idea what they were but I love bikes. I am an avid Cyclist and I love antiques anyway. The prize was this 1974 Raleigh International! It is in amazingly nice cond. and is complete and original except for the saddle. I need a good vintage Brooks Professional saddle for it. It is my size too! Campy Record components, everything works but all needs cleaning,etc,cables replaced. I do however need a longer stem for it. Anybody got one? I will enjoy this project and hope to ride it soon. The next one is a Gitane Interclub and it's a big frame, 24-1/2" from center of BB to top of seat tube, top tube from center to seat post was 23-1/2". The girl's bike is a Takara. I want to sell the Gitane and Takara if there's a market at all for them? They might be up for trade as well? If anyone can use them let me know. I don't know if there worth putting on e-bay or not?

If I could only be so lucky. NICE find!! I seemed to be cursed, and never find anything but Super Courses. But, someday!!,,,,BD
Old 03-13-10, 11:42 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Mismith - welcome to C&V and congratulations on some incredible luck ! - ( If I were you I'd buy a lottery ticket today).

BD - You say you seem to be cursed, never finding anything but Super Courses ? -WT_ ?
Old 03-13-10, 12:08 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mainducoyote
and here is a picture of the Marinoni someone requested ...

damn. i want. is that about 59-60cm? i am located in the toronto area. IM me if that is a resonable distance from your location.
Old 03-13-10, 12:16 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Mismith - welcome to C&V and congratulations on some incredible luck ! - ( If I were you I'd buy a lottery ticket today).

BD - You say you seem to be cursed, never finding anything but Super Courses ? -WT_ ?
Well, until I sold my too big for me gold 78, I had SIX SC's, in various stages of condition. A couple of weeks ago what do I find, but one EXACTLY like it in my size, lol.,,,,BD
Old 03-13-10, 03:32 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats the coolest marinoni paint job ive ever seen, thats the kinda art work you'd see adorning a colnago.
Old 03-13-10, 05:05 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Not bikes but a good find nonetheless:

Brand new in the box complete with instructions Dia-Compe 960 cantilevers:

These included the studs to be brazed onto the frame by the owner - interesting. Only paid 4 bux. I'm not telling anyone where I got these, because they seem to always have cool stuff; so don't ask!
Old 03-13-10, 06:27 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Not bikes but a good find nonetheless:

Brand new in the box complete with instructions Dia-Compe 960 cantilevers:

These included the studs to be brazed onto the frame by the owner - interesting. Only paid 4 bux. I'm not telling anyone where I got these, because they seem to always have cool stuff; so don't ask!
I have the same brakes on my 1986 Schwinn Passage touring bike. In fact, I just ordered new brake pads for them. Each pair cost more than that, so it really sounds like you got a great deal!
Old 03-13-10, 07:35 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Super Course off craigslist, swapped out the broken Simplex fd for a Suntour V from the parts bucket, re tensioned the front spokes (never seen them so loose, what a racket they made!) and took it for a spin around the neighborhood today.

Old 03-13-10, 10:02 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
Woo Hoo!

Just picked up a 1987 Miyata 512. TT is 21 inches exactly (about 54cm). Yellow/grey blend paint in good condition, Shimano parts (sub-105) without name, but as per original spec. Wolber rims. Not the best bike in the world, but will keep me quiet on weekends while I fix it up and is a good start.

This bike lived in Singapore and is now in Hong Kong, so all the bare alloy and steel parts a crusty coating on them. I will need the oxalic acid for the steel and whatever you need for alloy (searching...), but the paint is good and it would probably be ridable with new tyres and a chain clean. Seat post and stem not stuck.

HK$500 (about US$65).
Here are the pics...and I worked out how to do the thumbnail thing!
Old 03-13-10, 11:15 PM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by toytech
Raleigh Super Course off craigslist, swapped out the broken Simplex fd for a Suntour V from the parts bucket, re tensioned the front spokes (never seen them so loose, what a racket they made!) and took it for a spin around the neighborhood today.

Hi toytech! - Congrat's, and welcome to the illustrious Super Course owners club! ( It seems they have quite a following here, and deservedly so. Just get yourself a set of Panaracer Pasela's for it and you will be amazed! )
Old 03-13-10, 11:21 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Some seriously nice finds... love the old Super Course !

My big find of the day was just a buttery smooth, high flange Sunshine hub in fabulous shape.
Old 03-14-10, 06:33 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Woo Hoo!

HK$500 (about US$65).

Will post pics later tonight if I can.
I love Miyata's and just cant seem to find one in my size.

Alloy's like aluminum corrode to protect themselves. For the alloy parts you are going to have to sand the crust off. Start with a 400 grit then 600 then a bunch of time with a rag and a good metal polish. The shine will come back as your fingers grind down.

Assembled Rims and hubs are miserable to bring back. You may end up respoking those wheels if the spokes are corroded bad. The pits left by the corrosion will create stress points and they will eventually fail.
Old 03-14-10, 11:24 AM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by toytech

Great Find! That Super Course appears to be identical to the frame I recently found, even the same size (although yours is in much better shape and appears to be completely intact). I'd be curious to find out what the Serial Number is. Mine was stamped on the rear dropout, and according to those that know is a 1971 made at the Carlton factory.
Old 03-14-10, 01:06 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CMC SanDiego
Great Find! That Super Course appears to be identical to the frame I recently found, even the same size (although yours is in much better shape and appears to be completely intact). I'd be curious to find out what the Serial Number is. Mine was stamped on the rear dropout, and according to those that know is a 1971 made at the Carlton factory.
Old 03-14-10, 01:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I have a Super Course in the same size and vintage as that one. The ride is incredible. Weight is reasonable but not amazing. I put light rims and tires on it. Wonderful. Yours is in excellent shape. Looks like it was hardly ridden.

Miyatas are excellent, though I don't know that one. It's one of the few Japanese-made bikes with the actual name of the maker.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-14-10, 01:47 PM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, by the way: Welcome to the Miyata Owners Club
I kind of like that paint scheme, looks like a good project!

Be warned though, I've found Miyata's like the company of other Miyatas...
Old 03-14-10, 04:01 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I either commute to work too early and come home too late or one of you guys live near me LOL I never see bikes anywhere in the trash.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-14-10, 04:37 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have been looking for a bike for my wife and everytime i find one in her size[49cm] she says 'nope. ugly paint'
she just said over my shoulder 'o cutie! get it! and put fenders!'
'sorry mami, not for sale and not your size'
'you suck'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.