Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Take apart Look pedal

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Take apart Look pedal

Old 08-26-11, 09:17 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Take apart Look pedal

Is it possible to? I have a noise that I still can't find where it is coming from for sure but I think it is coming from the pedal. When I unclip from the left pedal(it does have play in it) the noise seems to stop most of the time. If I unclip from the right pedal I still hear the noise just not as much as when I have both pedals clipped in. The noise seems to come and go at its own will. The past couple of days it has been real irritating though. The noise isn't Look cleat noise. I have that also and I know what it sounds like. Everything I've tried to get rid of it works for a while and the then the cleat noise just comes right back again.

Is it possible to take the Look pedal apart and see if the bearing are totally shot/replace the bearings? Can the bearings be replaced or do you just junk the pedals and start over with new pedals?
Old 08-27-11, 10:11 AM
jim p

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had some pedals that were look knock offs. To take them apart you needed a plastic splined tool that would slip over the plastic nut which holds the pedals together. The plastic tool was placed on the pedal fastener and then you could take a wrench and turn the fastener and take the pedal apart. You had to pay attention to the direction that you turned the adapter because the pedals were threaded in different directions or maybe the pedals were threaded the same but you were putting the adapter on differents sides of the pedals. Anyway it was confusing so pay attention to how you twist the adapter to take the pedals apart.

Also some pedals have a cover cap on the outside of the pedal. If this cap is removed you may find a nut inside that can be removed which will allow you to take the pedal apart.
Old 08-27-11, 03:37 PM
jimc101

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
What pedal, Look have a lot in their range, and there are OOP ones
Old 08-27-11, 07:00 PM
bikenh

These are age old...'91-92. I believe they are Delta's. At least that is the replacement cleats I've bought. They are red and white. I have a strange feeling given the time in question...'91-92, Delta's were probably the only type they were making. I might be wrong.
Old 08-27-11, 07:03 PM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is what you need.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-cromo-a...-removal-tool/
The outer cartridge bearings can be replaced. If there are needle bearings deep inside the pedal body, that's probably not replaceable.

Last edited by vredstein; 08-27-11 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-27-11, 08:37 PM
bikenh

How do I get the red cap off the outside of the pedal?
Old 08-27-11, 10:22 PM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikenh
How do I get the red cap off the outside of the pedal?
I'm not sure you need to. Once you install the tool over the axle threads and onto the splines, turn counter clockwise, and the entire axle assembly should unthread from the pedal body. Perhaps then you can pop the cap off from the inside.