Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 12:18 PM
floriderron

Bikes: Trek, Giant, Schwinn, Sun Recumbant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride even with 15 mph head winds. But they will push me home. 49 when I left home.
Old 01-14-09, 12:21 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Glorious ride this morning, and a breakthrough of sorts.

Wednesdays I usually use the excuse of having an off-site meeting to keep me from riding. This morning, I rode it. My usual commute is a little over 7 miles; the ride to the meeting site is 11. I rode over there, locked up my bike, took my pannier and change of clothes into the Mens room and got changed, then went up to my meeting. Afterward it was a short 4 mile jaunt back to my normal office.

The temps this morning were just above freezing but I was ready for it, maybe even a little overdressed. After my meeting I underdressed a bit for the ride back to my office- a little chilly since I was riding into the wind.

I've had a lot of off-site stuff going on since the holidays and I've let it keep me off the bike. I gotta start riding more, even if I have off-site meetings.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-14-09, 12:56 PM
Tude 
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Day 2 of no commuting. Much needed headlight is back at manufacturer for repair (won't get that back till next week), side streets are horrible - full of ice bumps with more snow added daily - I end up one foot clipped in and the other foot scooting me along thru the deep stuff like a skateboard ---- so I've been using the Main Street (live and work downtown) and having 3 lanes of heavy rush hour traffic pace you with the ice and snow just sucks. It's 4F, -5 with wind chill and we're supposed to go real low Friday when some heavier winds kick in.
Old 01-14-09, 01:09 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well we finally got hit with some major snow. After watching everyone else get it the past few weeks. I feel for you folks up North and in Washington. 3-5". 17f. The Arctic blast will be here tom'rw.
Old 01-14-09, 01:16 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Looks like fun!*

*fun, as in watching other people do it!

Old 01-14-09, 01:19 PM
savethekudzu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doohickie:

Congrats. That really is an accomplishment; being able to make off-site visits like this can make a big difference in your willingness to keep at it.
Old 01-14-09, 01:33 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Someone in another city that works for my company has started a Bike for a Month internal blog. I'm kind of taking that as a personal challenge to see if maybe I can do that. If I do it starting today, the one month date will line up (within a day or two) with the anniversary of my first bicycle commute at my current job.

Old 01-14-09, 02:40 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode to work for the first time this week. Stiff headwind and 17F. I was slow as molasses.

I stayed mostly warm, and the roads are clear. Tonight looks to be a bit warmer. I do get the "you must be crazy" thing from people at work, and I consider that a benefit.

I'm not sure about tomorrow... it's going to be even colder.
Old 01-14-09, 03:09 PM
Intheloonybin

Bikes: 1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was my first ride this winter. I only rode here and there during the fall due to my schedule being whacked.

It was -7F when I left this morning. Was toasty warm everywhere. Was also slower than molasses due to holiday weight gain, and not having ridden for awhile. 10 miles took me 1 hr and 10 min.

BTW... If you need to go colder in lobster claws, add a thin pair of sports gloves meant for going under gloves. I don't want to call them wicking gloves- I originally bought them(a long time ago) for when I CC ski . Otherwise add a chemical hand warmer on the top of your hand- That helps too.

Not sure about tomorrow morning, as they are forecasting -20F here with -40 windchills, and I am out of chemical warmers. Might do it anyway, just to "better" (now there's an oxymoron for you) my coldest ride from -15F to a little lower.

Got the "you are crazy looks from people on the streets today. One old guy even shook his head and said "you must be cold riding bike". I told him- in a very muffled response- "I'm warm!"

One of my newer students even offered to give me rides if I needed them.
Old 01-14-09, 03:32 PM
Tude 
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^

And you picked a hellofa first winter ride day!!
Old 01-14-09, 03:50 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went over the bars courtesy of a driver turning left through stopped traffic and across the bike lane this morning. Not even the courtesy of an apology, but I guess he was in a rush to get to his parking spot. Knee is hella banged up but I can walk/limp on it so all in all I got away from that crash ok.
Old 01-14-09, 03:51 PM
trombone
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I take my hat off to all you guys riding in the snow. I've never ridden in the snow.

Partly because it's hitting 33C (91F) here...

Makes for a warm commute!!!
Old 01-14-09, 03:59 PM
dreadypixie

Bikes: Schwinn World Tourist, Gary Fisher Utopia, Schwinn Collegiate, and a Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I have been commuting by bike in the winter for the last 2 and a half winters and it's been ok. No accidents to report until today. Bridge may be icy (it sure was) and I went down. All I wanted to do was cross the street so I started to lean to my left and WHAM! right in the middle of the lane. My bike slid out from under me and went to my right. I tried to get my feet down but they also slid out from under me causing me to become tangled with my bike. My only really thought which my brain was screaming was 'GET OUT OF THE @#*%! LANE OF ONCOMING TRAFFIC!!' Luckily my husband was with me (I was off to class, and he to work) so he made the major roadside repairs that he could for me (lucky for me he's a mechanic at the LBS) and we were off after a few mins. of me hobbling back and forth on the curb to work out some of the pain in my ankle. I even made it to class on time, which undoubtedly made my professor happy since she hates being interrupted for simple tardiness. So needless to say I have one hell of a lump on my shin and one just above my ankle but other than that no major damage. I'm really just glad there wasn't a car right behind me that didn't have time to stop and run me over.
Old 01-14-09, 04:43 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dread, after the first time I bailed on ice I picked up some studded tires. Even a cheap set of Innovas will be worth their weight in gold. They're incredibly stable over ice and probably the single most important piece of equipment on my winter bike.
Old 01-14-09, 06:31 PM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another day, another arrogant person

I posted earlier, mostly because my morning ride is the coldest, and the afernoon is usually routine. Today however, it was one arrogant car driver. I was making a left from a four way stop onto a bridge
that is a highway interchange. I stopped behind the car ahead of me, and he made his turn. I moved
forward and stopped for the car to the right and front of me. Both took their turns, then I made my
left, but before I finished my turn, which included getting into the far right of the lane, a fellow, came
up from behind and was blowing his horn. I finished my turn and he went on his merry way. I figure
that he must have felt that I should ride on the double yellow line, while he passed on my right. These are the people I worry about, arrogant and not very bright.
Old 01-14-09, 06:57 PM
crawdaddio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cold. COLD. cold. snowy. COLD. cold.
Oh yeah, it was cold. Did I mention COLD.
Riding busy chicago streets in the ruts, cars behind me blaring their horns, really pi$$ed off. However, I don't care. Let them wait..........
Do they expect bikers to ride in the unplowed 2 foot thick-of-snow shoulders?
I apologize for the preceding incoherent diatribe.
Did I mention that it was COLD this morning?
Old 01-14-09, 09:55 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Some sort of demonstration going on at Copley Sq. I saw lots of Israeli flags, and there was a fellow singing and playing a guitar over a loudspeaker. There was even a BPD bomb squad on St. James St. ! They were blocking one lane so the street was all backed up. Took a while to get through it, which meant enjoying the 17 degree temps in what has to be the windiest place on earth (between the Hancock building and Trinity church).

My poor bike sounds awful. There's so much grit and nastiness in the chainring and rear cog. I can't do a proper cleaning in my one bedroom apartment. I can't wait for April to come and wash away all the grossness on the streets.
Old 01-15-09, 12:07 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Hey, cold weather commuters.... let me know if you're interested in contributing to my blog (see link in my siggy). I've started a blog for beginning bicycle commuters. That really cold snowy weather stuff is something I can't really speak on with any level of authority.

Also, I'd like contributions from anyone who wants to write articles about what makes a good commuter bike. There are a lot of good reasons why different people chose their particular commuter, and I'd like to capture as many of those thoughts as I can. I'm thinking maybe an expansion on the Commuter Bikes thread where you give several pics of your bike and why it's a great commuter.

For anyone who wants to be a contributor, I'll enable you to make posts directly into the blog, or you can send the stuff to me and I'll post it.

Old 01-15-09, 07:58 AM
envane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Possibly the coldest day this year, so I had to ride. -8 F. Other than the tips of my fingers, I was warm. Roads were pretty clear.
Old 01-15-09, 10:01 AM
T-Hussy
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Epic Carbon 92', Old-school fully-rigid specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feels like a "humid" cold in denver today. Temp was around 30F but there was that Minnesota feel to it. Anyways, I took the light-rail today which cuts my 10 mile ride down to around 3. Should be able to use the road bike tomorrow as the snow has been a meltin.
Old 01-15-09, 10:04 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,756 Times in 2,766 Posts
Agree. For sure felt colder today than yesterday.
Old 01-15-09, 10:29 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
chilly ride indeed at 4ºf
my fingers also were cold for part of the ride but they warmed up eventually...overall a great experience

Old 01-15-09, 10:35 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold, but not terrible, mid 20's when I left the house. Four layers kept me nice and warm and my balaclava/skull cap combo was sufficient for my head. Tomorrow should be worse, I guess they're calling for the "coldest weather in ten years" with temps in the single digits, 7 F, I think. I've ridden in colder....

I've complained before but, I'll do it again: my new Conti Touring tires are killing me. Not only have I lost 4 to 5 mph off my average but now my back is killing me, I think it's the pushing and straining of working againts these tires to (try) to maintain my previous average speed. I get winded on the modest hills and can never average anything above 16 mph. I like the deep tread and supposed flat protection but, I'm not sure it's worth the tradeoff. I think I'd feel better knowing that I can step it up to 22/23 mph and get out of the elements that much sooner. I want to look at the Panaracer T Serves, they seem to get a lot of love.
Old 01-15-09, 10:44 AM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
probably upper teens with dusting of snow on the ground. I had ice sickles on my stash when I got to work.
Old 01-15-09, 01:03 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

It was in the 20s today when I rode. This morning I had to go to another site of my company 15 miles away. I just got back to my office and already have 20+ miles in for the day and should be about 30 miles when I get home tonight (twice my normal commute). I added some long undies under my jeans today, it was toastie, but not too warm. The best part is that the wind is out of the north, and I live south of here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.