Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Old 02-03-09, 07:53 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I swear, this Thermos the best thing I've bought in months. Stopping in the snow after a few miles and popping open a hot beverage is a little piece of the afterlife right here on the greenway, with no ghost bike or nothin.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 02-03-09, 07:59 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Commute started about 9:30 a.m. I noticed my rear basket was quite wobbly, and realized that the right screw had fallen out, so I had to zip tie one side of the rack. Picked up about 90 dollars of groceries. Filled my backpack, then tied the rest to the rear basket. The Zip tie held out all the way home!

Then began my long day of running errands -- PO, bank, then Dittos to make copies, then back to the bank. Road all the way across town again to Wal-Mart to buy several money orders, then went to the fitness club. Next to Home Depot to buy replacement screws for the rear rack. Finally, rode back into town to meet with my son's psychiatrist. This was our last meeting, so we had to say good-bye!

When I arrived back home, my odometer said 21.041 miles! Good ride today, and even though I'm still very ill with a terrible and painful cough, very congested, stuffed up, I felt great while riding around.

I stopped and chatted with several bicyclists. One of them had been a professional boxer! He knew several famous boxers -- the Brown Bomber (Joe Louis), and Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr). Had a good long chat with the elderly man (nearly 80 years old). He still rides his bicycle all around town! And he is blind in one eye.

Last edited by vja4Him; 02-03-09 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 08:11 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noteon
I swear, this Thermos the best thing I've bought in months. Stopping in the snow after a few miles and popping open a hot beverage is a little piece of the afterlife right here on the greenway, with no ghost bike or nothin.
Your commute is 10x mine so you need the thermos. I could use the thermos for the next time we do one of those random nighttime rides around NYC. Or the Times-Up rides.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 02-03-09, 09:18 PM
nebuchenezzar

Bikes: Bertoni Road Bike, Trek 8000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a great ride home today. 63F and felt great. I was amazed how few people were on the MUP compared to Monday. I guess everyone gets themselves amped up for some working out over the weekend, then get lost in the shuffle by Tuesday.

Shaved 3 mins off my ride. Not sure how, I was even telling myself not to push but just enjoy. Felt great. I love Southern Utah this time of year!
Old 02-03-09, 09:37 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
today I worked from 11am til 9pm. So I ended up leaving this morning just as the snow storm hit with a wind right in my face for the roughly 10 mile ride in. As I left tonight the storm was being blown away off the coast by a wind that blew right in my face on the ride home. Just couldn't win. But managed to safely maneuver through some pretty ugly mush both ways.
Old 02-04-09, 05:33 AM
MIKEnDC
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Feb ride: 27F/-3C with a few flakes flying and just enough headwind to make me wish I was turning a 12-27 instead of the 11-25 in a spot or two. What's not to like?
Old 02-04-09, 06:12 AM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ride today alas. 15 degrees with 0 degree wind chills is just not my cup of tea. not prepared for that range. can deal with teens for wind chill but not the low single digits. brrrr.... Atlanta. If I were up north and really setup with proper winter clothes for riding I'd be out in it though. It's not the riding it's the wait at the shuttle bus station that does me in. Warm while on the bike but standing waiting for the bus drains that warmth right out of me. Never know if the bus will be on time or not. Lately more not than on time so we get to stand in the cold for an extra 15 minutes unexpectedly. nasty. wait 'til next year when I am up for the long ride all the way into work. am getting myself in shape. the terrain between home and work is very hilly and I'm not in good enough shape yet, getting there but not quite there.
Old 02-04-09, 06:48 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough ride in, my legs seem to be failing me. They, again, were tired, stiff, and generally uncooperative. I don't know if it's over training or something else (diet, tires, cold) but, it seems to be a recent trend. The bike feels like it weighs a ton, even the little hills were tough, I don't know what's going on. Other than that, it was cold with flurries, I guess they're calling for an inch or so today-could make for a fun ride home.
Old 02-04-09, 08:11 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Rode my first single-speed commute today. I converted my regular commuter bike to a SS/fixe last week, and I'm still getting the hang of it. Decided not to risk death by riding it fixed, but wanted to see how the hills worked out with one gear so rode SS. It was surprisingly easy on the uphills, but frustrating on the downhills. With my freewheel gearing (42x18), I spin out about 21 mph, so I pretty much coasted down all of the hills. Several hills on my route I can easily top 30 mph coasting, so that's why I rode SS rather than fixed. I've only rode fixed once so far, and don't trust my skills for riding in traffic yet.

Weatherwise, it's a good day for riding SS. It snowed last night, but it was just a dusting and the roads were clear. The temperature is supposed to get no higher than the mid-30s, so I don't have to worry about changing my clothes for the ride home. Plus my legs were fresh after driving yesterday due to rain.
Old 02-04-09, 08:28 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Temp was 27 this morning when I set out. I took no chances and overdressed a bit- full gloves, four layers, long undies, balaclava. I didn't feel like I was moving very fast but it was a very pleasant ride.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-04-09, 08:45 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mjw16
Tough ride in, my legs seem to be failing me. They, again, were tired, stiff, and generally uncooperative. I don't know if it's over training or something else (diet, tires, cold) but, it seems to be a recent trend. The bike feels like it weighs a ton, even the little hills were tough, I don't know what's going on. Other than that, it was cold with flurries, I guess they're calling for an inch or so today-could make for a fun ride home.
That's cold weather, in my experience. I feel like I'm standing still, my legs just don't wanna go. It's worse when I wear long underwear; I can feel the drag on the movement of my legs. When it's like that, I just try to do it as a "stop and smell the roses" kind of a ride- change my mindset from getting there as quickly as possible to just savoring being out in the weather when few others are. So my commute takes an extra 5 minutes... so what? I just try to enjoy it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-04-09, 09:02 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
The thermos is my favorite piece of winter equipment, I don't think i'd ride without it. Doesn't take a very cold temperature to start the freezing process on an uninsulated bottle esp. any drips left in the spout.

The commute was pretty warm this morning. The computer says the temp here is 1C already and we're heading for a high of 6. These icy roads are going to get wet.
Old 02-04-09, 09:16 AM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very chilly today, about 27-29F. I can report similar feelings to mjw16's--legs felt tired and slow and I just couldn't catch my breath. I think the 15-20mph cross-wind wasn't helping my breathing.
Old 02-04-09, 09:20 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
20F and windy this morning so I put on a silk undershirt, wool tee, cashmere sweater and fleece softshell plus a shemagh to cover my face. It was overkill and I was a bit sweaty. Also, the streets were pretty clear despite the slushy snow and overnight freezing temps yesterday.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 02-04-09, 10:12 AM
habernac
commuting Canuck

Bikes: 07 Rocky Mtn ETSX-70, 00 Rocky Mountain Hammer (commuter) 98 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice and mild again (0C), roads are clear of snow. Felt pretty good out there.
Old 02-04-09, 10:18 AM
tdreyer1

Bikes: Specialized Awol Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not bad today. 5F with light wind & no precip here in NW Missouri
Old 02-04-09, 10:35 AM
timothyday
rehabilitating

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, BMC Streetfire, Bob Jackson Vigroelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't ride into work today. Got 6 inches of snow last night and the streets of South Philly are awash with bad drivers slipping about. But the 45 mins on the bus was a nice reminder of how great it is to be so regularly free of the headache of public transit. I'll probably take the BMX out this evening for some fun in the snow banks.
Old 02-04-09, 10:52 AM
nebuchenezzar

Bikes: Bertoni Road Bike, Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Morning temps for me at about 34F. Had a good consistent ride in, but my attitude was not where it should have been. Need to work on that.

My saddle wedge zipper broke some time ago so I have been using some clips to keep my valuables safe inside. When I pulled into my office and reached for my wallet/iPhone/keys I found that my clips failed and my bag was gaping open. Horrified I reached inside and was relieved to find that nothing had fallen out. I need to find a better wedge to keep my things safe.

When I got to work, I changed out the door knob on my office door so it has a lock on it. I don't want a Michael Scott/Pam incident happening to me while Im changing in my office.
Old 02-04-09, 11:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
One of our office temps walked in on me while I was completely naked while changing - but covered up - he actually looked around and I had to ask him to leave. PERV The bathroom had no lock. We're moving in a couple weeks to a place with 3 locking bathrooms, and one has a shower!!!
Old 02-04-09, 11:55 AM
TimothyF
Roll Tide

Bikes: Windsor Tourist Diamondback Edgewood FRANKENBIKE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
21F here in Montgomery this morning. I have increased my route to 15 miles my old route of 6. I was really questioning my logic at one point.

But all in all, I was fine. I bought the chemical hand and feet warmers, and they worked pretty well.
Old 02-04-09, 12:08 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
today I worked from 11am til 9pm. So I ended up leaving this morning just as the snow storm hit with a wind right in my face for the roughly 10 mile ride in. As I left tonight the storm was being blown away off the coast by a wind that blew right in my face on the ride home. Just couldn't win. But managed to safely maneuver through some pretty ugly mush both ways.
I felt like the roads were in the worst shape I've seen them this winter, despite the fact that we've had much bigger storms. It's like they felt like plowing wasn't necessary for a mere three inches (or however much it was).

I rode to a class at after work at about 6:30 last night, and it was as hard a time riding in the snow as I can remember. To add insult to injury, I realized about halfway there that I left my U-lock at home, and I had to turn around to go get it! It was only a couple of miles, but a real PITA, and made me very late for class since I was going like 10 to 12 mph the whole way.
Old 02-04-09, 01:16 PM
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More nice weather today! Today was also the day where my miles commuted in '09 exceeded my miles commuted in '08.

Looks like the rain's coming tomorrow. I'm halfway looking forward to trying out my new rain gear.
Old 02-04-09, 02:36 PM
speed demon
daily commuter

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Blizzard (Steel is Real!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday the snow was falling as I rode home, cold, wet and nasty.
I remember that eskimos , people from the north if you will, have at least twenty different names for different kinds of snow , I wonder what this one was .I came up with a few "F"words for it though.
Today I started really early and I did not have he courage to ride through the night, i took the car , there was no traffic yet anyway, consider it a day of rest for the legs.
Tomorrow is warmer , but expecting some rain , I hope at least the ride in will be dry.
I don't mind riding home in the rain, a nice hot shower will do great.
Old 02-04-09, 02:58 PM
dondonaldo
Knotwright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little Chilly

It was zero degrees this morning, so I had to zip up my pit zips. Otherwise sunny and we had some 34 degree weather last week which got 90% of the ice off the roads. Pretty easy ride all in all.

dh
Old 02-04-09, 03:02 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speed demon
Yesterday the snow was falling as I rode home, cold, wet and nasty.
I remember that eskimos , people from the north if you will, have at least twenty different names for different kinds of snow , I wonder what this one was .I came up with a few "F"words for it though.
Today I started really early and I did not have he courage to ride through the night, i took the car , there was no traffic yet anyway, consider it a day of rest for the legs.
Tomorrow is warmer , but expecting some rain , I hope at least the ride in will be dry.
I don't mind riding home in the rain, a nice hot shower will do great.
Just because I think it's interesting... Eskimos don't have as many words for snow as people think they do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_words_for_snow

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.