Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Technical questions for the retro grouches on here

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Technical questions for the retro grouches on here

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 09:05 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If parts are getting more expensive over time then the value proposition is falling.
View older 10 speed parts as collectible items that aren't to be sold on the cheap and which durability has been proven. People pay premium for nuovo record and c record campy group despite tehy are old but there is a reason why something of value has a serious pricetag.The price for dura ace 7700-7800 spare parts skryrocketed.
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-08-24, 09:08 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4441 Post(s)
Liked 4,889 Times in 3,027 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Is that technology or technique? I ride bikes that are 20+ year old in places where I used to ride 30 to 40 years ago and don't crash as much as I did when I started out. I learned how not to crash. My bikes are still capable of riding anywhere a modern bike can.

Again, I'm riding bikes that are 20+ years old. I avoid riding in muddy conditions because I don't want to be "that guy" who leaves a reminder that muddy trails shouldn't be ridden on. My X-9 front/XO rear drivetrain doesn't drop chains because I know how to adjust them and how to shift them. I don't own a headset that is less than about 20 years old and, oddly, I haven't worn out a headset since manufacturers stopped putting threaded headsets on bicycles.

Perhaps you aren't a skilled at maintenance as you think you are.
I’ll just ignore your patronising tone here. I’m not interested in a maintenance pissing contest.

I actually liked my own X9, X0 drivetrain from that era, but it is nowhere near as effective as the current equivalents. I could get a season out of a quality headset in those days. If only they made them larger.

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-08-24 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-08-24, 09:16 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by georges1
View older 10 speed parts as collectible items that aren't to be sold on the cheap and which durability has been proven. People pay premium for nuovo record and c record campy group despite tehy are old but there is a reason why something of value has a serious pricetag.The price for dura ace 7700-7800 spare parts skryrocketed.
It’s the vintage mindset that drives prices like this. I own a classic car that has increased in value by almost a factor of 10 over the last 2 decades, but it doesn’t make it any better. It is just more expensive. More expensive than my newer cars, but still slower and less practical. Less reliable too actually.

If you see vintage bikes as an investment opportunity then great.
Old 04-08-24, 09:21 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 493 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Is that technology or technique? I ride bikes that are 20+ year old in places where I used to ride 30 to 40 years ago and don't crash as much as I did when I started out. I learned how not to crash. My bikes are still capable of riding anywhere a modern bike can.
I think it’s possible that you don’t know what you’re missing.

I loved my old mountain bikes. My Zaskar LE was my bread and butter bike. I had a Proflex, a Xziang, a Trek 8000, and some cannondale’s. No bad bikes and I rode them hard. I rode them with all the vigor a teenager and guy in his early twenties could manage. I love old hardtails.

When I threw my leg over a modern bike with its modern cockpit, it was night and day. At 45 with a full time job and a couple young kids, I’m faster and more confident than I’ve ever been on a MTB. I don’t have 21 year old legs anymore but literally, I could smoke the old me today off road.

It’s the bike. It makes a huge difference. It’s silly to pretend it doesn’t. Even I’m somewhat handicapped with my modern hardtail compared to full suspension.

Rent a bike sometime, it’ll blow your mind.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-08-24, 09:22 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10447 Post(s)
Liked 11,936 Times in 6,108 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...in a very dark period in forum history, it got closed. It's a lot like when they closed down all the asylums, and put the inmates out on the street.
Mainstreaming FTW!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-08-24, 09:29 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s the vintage mindset that drives prices like this. I own a classic car that has increased in value by almost a factor of 10 over the last 2 decades, but it doesn’t make it any better. It is just more expensive. More expensive than my newer cars, but still slower and less practical. Less reliable too actually.

If you see vintage bikes as an investment opportunity then great.
Cars are cars but bikes are bikes. Older Dura Ace 7800 isn't less reliable than Dura Ace 9200, it is still aftersought for its aesthetics and solid reliability
Old 04-08-24, 09:30 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep, everybody knows it's because the latest generation of road riders grew up eating avocado toast.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If batteries existed before fire, would we still roast marshmallows when camping?
Don't cross the streams...

Old 04-08-24, 09:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

1) Brakes aren't just about STOPPING a bike. In fact that may be the LEAST important thing brakes are for. They're for slowing the bike down, by a little or a lot, for stuff like not touching the wheel in front of you, or not overcooking the next curve. Ideally, they should be capable of everything from scrubbing off 1mph to emergency stopping, all without the rider having to think about it. Having tried all three for thousands of miles each, my conclusion is that for that purpose, hydraulic disc brakes > dual pivot rim brakes > single pivot rim brakes. That doesn't mean you need to change what you're using.

2) Saturday's ride was on a bike with indexed DT shifters and a 7 speed cassette. Sunday's on a bike with 11 speeds and STIs. Absolutely no question that, for ease of use, for just riding without thinking about needing to shift BEFORE the hill, etc, Brifters > indexed DT > friction DT. That doesn't mean you need to change what you're using.

I gotta say, though, that one of the LEAST compelling arguments on here, the one that people use to softly denigrate new technology they don't feel the need for is "It's a solution looking for a problem", or "I've never needed more (insert function here) than I have." Cripes, guys - something can be BETTER without making the older technology BAD. You don't want disc brakes? Fine. Don't get disc brakes. You don't want brifters? Fine. Don't get brifters.

Oh, I know - you'll say, "But I want 12 speed electronic shifting, and rim brakes, and nobody sells it!" If enough people wanted that, it would exist. So, apparently enough people DON'T want it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-24, 10:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,683 Posts
The OP is apparently now sitting back and enjoying the fireworks. I've never understood what's fun about riling people up over irreconcilable differences, but then I've never watched daytime TV.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-08-24, 10:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The OP is apparently now sitting back and enjoying the fireworks. I've never understood what's fun about riling people up over irreconcilable differences, but then I've never watched daytime TV.
At least we don't have folding chairs to hit each other with!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-24, 11:17 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I think it’s possible that you don’t know what you’re missing.

I loved my old mountain bikes. My Zaskar LE was my bread and butter bike. I had a Proflex, a Xziang, a Trek 8000, and some cannondale’s. No bad bikes and I rode them hard. I rode them with all the vigor a teenager and guy in his early twenties could manage. I love old hardtails.

When I threw my leg over a modern bike with its modern cockpit, it was night and day. At 45 with a full time job and a couple young kids, I’m faster and more confident than I’ve ever been on a MTB. I don’t have 21 year old legs anymore but literally, I could smoke the old me today off road.

It’s the bike. It makes a huge difference. It’s silly to pretend it doesn’t. Even I’m somewhat handicapped with my modern hardtail compared to full suspension.

Rent a bike sometime, it’ll blow your mind.
The revelation for me was when I demoed a bunch of new full suss trail bikes in 2015. At the time I was riding a high-end 2004 Yeti 575, which was a great bike for its era. But up against a 2015 Specialized Enduro it was minutes slower over a 10 km singletrack loop. I'm pretty sure my skill level didn't improve during that demo. I was sold. Then I bought my current Canyon Neuron CF in 2019 and that was faster again, although not such a dramatic difference this time. I haven't ridden a current bike, but I expect they are continuing to improve.
Old 04-08-24, 11:25 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
Another think to consider in terms of disc brakes for road bikes is that a disc requires a fork that is built stronger and that fork will not have the feel or flexibility a fork for rim brakes will have

I had this discussion 2 years ago when I was able to get a custom frame made. the builder (who was an early adopter of disc brakes on custom road bikes) noted that if I wanted to go for disc there was real reduction in road feel and handling due to having to build the fork stronger
His questions were along the line: Are you going to ride in the rain a lot, with lots of long steep downhills and maybe a loaded bike? if so go disk otherwise you will be happier handling wise with rim brakes

I went rim (has 11 speed ultegra sti) with the velo orange grand cru dual pivot which perform really well (even in the limited bit of rain I have rode in) certainly meet my needs

retro grouch is a loaded term.... Do i like the look of a classis steel frame and steel frames sure. Is that retro? Style for sure but my newest frame uses steel technology that is as more advanced than steel of 20 or 30 years ago so not sure that is retro

grouch: sometimes (ask my wife)

Now get off of my lawn you whippersnappers

also here is my bike retro looks, modern gear, retro cockpit (for future proofing and looks)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-08-24, 11:52 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,324 Posts
Originally Posted by speyfitter
Sorry I didn’t mean to offend the boomers in here.
I’m not sure that was called for. But I doubt any boomers are offended.

But it is not about them. The real shake out will be the Echos.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-08-24, 12:09 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by genejockey

I gotta say, though, that one of the LEAST compelling arguments on here, the one that people use to softly denigrate new technology they don't feel the need for is "It's a solution looking for a problem", or "I've never needed more (insert function here) than I have." Cripes, guys - something can be BETTER without making the older technology BAD. You don't want disc brakes? Fine. Don't get disc brakes. You don't want brifters? Fine. Don't get brifters.
Yeah, this one comes up often. We would still be in the Stone Age if this argument was applied to everything.
Old 04-08-24, 12:47 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 1,799 Posts
Oh, I know - you'll say, "But I want 12 speed electronic shifting, and rim brakes, and nobody sells it!" If enough people wanted that, it would exist. So, apparently enough people DON'T want it.
I'm not that fussy, but a non-obsolete drivetrain that accommodates rim brakes sure would be nice.

If you have a rim brake frame that you want to keep using (I do), the offerings are getting rather scarce. And 12-speed is right out! Even the new 12-speed mechanical 105 group is hydraulic only.

I suspect that since almost nobody replaces components on a bike they own, the aftermarket for bike components is not big enough for the manufacturers to bother with. And since virtually all new bikes have disc brakes, component manufacturers are happy to keep making what they sell directly to bike manufacturers. The "people don't want it" argument is questionable -- it's more like "the manufacturers have moved on to something else, and it's now a Hobson's choice for consumers".

Old 04-08-24, 12:53 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I'm not that fussy, but a non-obsolete drivetrain that accommodates rim brakes sure would be nice.
People around here don't like the word "obsolete." Brace yourself.
Old 04-08-24, 01:55 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Another think to consider in terms of disc brakes for road bikes is that a disc requires a fork that is built stronger and that fork will not have the feel or flexibility a fork for rim brakes will have

I had this discussion 2 years ago when I was able to get a custom frame made. the builder (who was an early adopter of disc brakes on custom road bikes) noted that if I wanted to go for disc there was real reduction in road feel and handling due to having to build the fork stronger
His questions were along the line: Are you going to ride in the rain a lot, with lots of long steep downhills and maybe a loaded bike? if so go disk otherwise you will be happier handling wise with rim brakes
Please explain how a stronger fork leads to reduced handling ability. I'm not even sure on the "road feel" part of that as if anything the feel would be transmitted better with a stiffer fork. Seems more like actual increased "road feel" is a reduction to your preferred "road feel".
Old 04-08-24, 02:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Please explain how a stronger fork leads to reduced handling ability. I'm not even sure on the "road feel" part of that as if anything the feel would be transmitted better with a stiffer fork. Seems more like actual increased "road feel" is a reduction to your preferred "road feel".
Simple: forks for disc brakes have to be built stronger than a fork for rim brakes. Making them stronger makes them stiffer and less compliant
Maybe carbon forks can use some of the advantages carbon to design around it, but not the case for steel. (lots of examples of steel forks retro fitted for disc and then failing)

This was directly from Dave Kirk, who has been a custom builder for 20 years, and before that built for serotta in all materials.

Dave is not a disc hater, and spent a lot of time figuring out how to do nice disc builds which he does, but is a lover of a good handling responsive bike and one heck of a rider

bottom line he has technical and street cred

More to the point: no one technology is perfect and best for everyone. and all technologies have tradeoffs.

If i were riding in tour de france (not likely) the bike and technology I would want would be a lot different than for a zombie apocalypse bike (where retro grouch bike will win )

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-08-24, 02:48 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked 1,479 Times in 1,026 Posts

If you have a rim brake frame that you want to keep using (I do), the offerings are getting rather scarce.
If you have one or more favorite rim brake frames, just hoard some components; I do that for my go to road bike and my project bike, both of which are 11-speed.

And 12-speed is right out! Even the new 12-speed mechanical 105 group is hydraulic only.
I suspect that a true retro-ground would scoff at 12-speed (and likely even 11-speed) while extoling the virtues of their triple cranksets, which supposedly allow both sufficient range and small gearing steps that would allow one to go straight from the Tour de France to a light tour through the provence afterward.
Old 04-08-24, 02:51 PM
PeteHski

Simple: forks for disc brakes have to be built stronger than a fork for rim brakes. Making them stronger makes them stiffer and less compliant
Maybe carbon forks can use some of the advantages carbon to design around it, but not the case for steel. (lots of examples of steel forks retro fitted for disc and then failing)

This was directly from Dave Kirk, who has been a custom builder for 20 years, and before that built for serotta in all materials.

Dave is not a disc hater, and spent a lot of time figuring out how to do nice disc builds which he does, but is a lover of a good handling responsive bike and one heck of a rider

More to the point: no one technology is perfect and best for everyone. and all technologies have tradeoffs.

If i were riding in tour de france (not likely) the bike and technology I would want would be a lot different than for a zombie apocalypse bike (where retro grouch bike will win )

It’s certainly a non-issue with modern carbon forks given how you can manipulate stiffness in different directions. Much more limited options in steel.
Old 04-08-24, 02:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18436 Post(s)
Liked 15,604 Times in 7,347 Posts
At least we don't have folding chairs to hit each other with!
Heh. WrestleMania was just in town last weekend.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-08-24, 02:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3959 Post(s)
Liked 7,319 Times in 2,953 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
People around here don't like the word "obsolete." Brace yourself.
“Obsolete” is obsolete.
Old 04-08-24, 03:13 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts

OK, so none of that explains any specific reason the handling is worse with a stronger fork. I’m not against preferring any of the benefits of a more compliant fork, I’m just trying to understand how it actually results in better handling, or at least a reason other than someone has experience and thinks so. Lots of times perception is not reality and handling for most things is improved by eliminating flex. Or maybe it’s the definition of handling being used which can be pretty ambiguous.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 04-08-24, 03:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

OK, so none of that explains any specific reason the handling is worse with a stronger fork. I’m not against preferring any of the benefits of a more compliant fork, I’m just trying to understand how it actually results in better handling, or at least a reason other than someone has experience and thinks so. Lots of times perception is not reality and handling for most things is improved by eliminating flex. Or maybe it’s the definition of handling being used which can be pretty ambiguous.
The only thing that occurs to me is an observation I made years ago, when switching from a Cannondale 3.0 frame to a Ritchey Road Logic steel frame. Descending the same road, and hitting the same patch of crappy asphalt on a turn, the stiffer Cannondale hopped slightly, and I could feel the rear end stepping out just a hair on each hop. I hit the same patch on the Ritchey and it rolled right over it with no hop. So maybe the idea is that a less compliant fork would corner worse by not absorbing bumps as well? But then if you're running modern, wider tires, you get both compliance and grip so does it still matter?

Old 04-08-24, 03:46 PM
PeteHski

I think it is actually quite a difficult question to answer. Tyre compliance is the dominant factor, especially on a modern bike. But fork compliance is likely to be a secondary factor. Vertical compliance will mostly affect ride quality and torsional compliance will affect handling. It’s hard to say what level of torsional compliance provides optimal handling and it probably varies depending on rider weight and road conditions. I just know that modern carbon forks on disc braked bikes handle very well and are not harsh riding. I don’t believe disc brake loads present a real challenge for carbon fork design, but maybe they do for steel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.