Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bike size calculation

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Bike size calculation

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 03:19 AM
shoy0708

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike size calculation

My height is 171 cm and my inseam is 85.5 cm.
What is the bike size that I should go for in road bike
Currently I am riding Giant tcr advanced pro M size.
Old 10-23-19, 07:56 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
We seem to be nearly the same heigth but with your inseam measurement, assuming you measured correctly, most of your heigth is in the legs. If this is the case, then a better size for you would be the S with a shorter effective top tube. Longer top tubes or shorter top tubes with long stems are preferred by pro cyclists who like a low and stretched out position. Most of us are more comfortable with shorter top tubes than pros.

I'm 170 mm in heigth (maybe a bit less these days) with a cycling inseam of 79 mm. The effective top tube on my bike is 53 mm and it fine on some days when I want to be low and stretched out and a bit long on other days, depending on my cycling fitness at the time, ( good fitness during warm months and less so during colder months when fewer miles are ridden). Based on this, if you like a very low stretched put position, your bike may be just right. If like most of us non-pro cyclists, you are more upright and less stretched out, you would likely be more comfortable with the size S or even size XS. Top tube on size S is 535 and the XS is 515. I would venture the size M is a bit too big but actually riding a size S or XS would tell you which would be best.
Old 10-24-19, 08:29 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I'm 170 mm in heigth (maybe a bit less these days) with a cycling inseam of 79 mm. The effective top tube on my bike is 53 mm
That is really small

I don't know, I'm the same height as the OP...my bike is 380mm reach with a 54cm ETT. I run a 120mm stem. The M Giant has 383 reach with 55 ETT. If I were to ride the M Giant, I would probably end up running the same 120mm stem since the reach is only 3mm more.