Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Which cold weather eyewear?

Old 11-13-19, 05:55 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Which cold weather eyewear?

I realized yesterday, after nearly freezing off my eyeballs, that I need dedicated winter eye wear. Which goggles are best? Are goggles the only choice for rides in sub-freezing temperatures?

Is there a low cost option (like generic ski goggles) that wont fog up? What are some good options for fog prevention or mitigation?

I don't imagine that my winter rides will average the same mileage as my warm weather rides, but I'm game for 100-200k in sub freezing temps if the sun will be out-- so I'm looking for eye wear that will function (i.e. not fog up) for commutes and on over longer distances.

Thanks
Old 11-13-19, 07:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Sub-freezing, I use generic ski goggles. I have not found any that do not fog when I stop or am going really slow, but with more speed and some air flow the fog has usually dissipates and clears pretty well. My goggles have enough tint that I would not want to use them after sunset, that would be a consideration if you might be out after dark.

If you go shopping in a store, bring your helmet with you so you can make sure the goggles and helmet play well with each other. I have a couple pair of goggles and one pair pushes against the helmet.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-13-19, 07:16 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Good advice-- I would not have thought to check compatibility between goggles and helmet. Thanks.

I do a fair amount of riding after sunset and in the dark year round, so hopefully transitional lenses won't increase costs too much.
Old 11-14-19, 05:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
If you’re not wearing anything now then cheap shop glasses will be a step up. For me fogging is related to face moisture & ventilation. I like my helmet that has an eye shield held by magnets (clear and tinted)

but riding into a blizzard last winter I resorted to my cheap ski goggles w foam air filter inserts (top & bottom) removed

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-14-19 at 01:42 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-15-19, 10:06 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
There is a lot to wade through here: https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...-riding-2.html, but it seems work/safety glasses are more popular than ski googles.
Old 11-16-19, 12:18 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by hilltowner
There is a lot to wade through here: https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...-riding-2.html, but it seems work/safety glasses are more popular than ski googles.
In my other comment above, I stated that I prefer ski goggles but I specified that was for sub-freezing.

Above freezing conditions, I concur that there are other good options. In the upper 30s and 40s (F.) I prefer Bolle Tracker glasses instead of ski goggles.
https://www.bolle-safety.com/model/tracker

The Tracker model has small vents that allow air into behind the lens, in strong wind or at speed with them my eyes will water a little bit, thus prefer ski goggles when it gets really cold. When I stop on a windless day with the Tracker glasses, they will start to fog up but once I start moving and get some air low into them the fog clears out quickly. They have less peripheral vision than regular sunglasses, but I quickly got used to it.

I use the elastic strap to hold them on to my head, that puts the seal tighter against my skin much better than if I wore them as regular glasses without the strap. Also, the elastic strap means that I can put the ear pieces outside of my insulated ear band instead of over my ears, thus my ear band fits better. The specific helmet that I use has a bump in the back at the bottom of the shell, I put the elastic over and above that bump.

Above the 40s (F.) I revert to wrap around glasses.

The Tracker ones come in several different tints. I have the gray (or smoke) tint and also have ones with a dark brown (twilight) tint. There is some confusion with the tints as they also make or previously made a yellow version that some websites confuse with the dark brown ones. Amazon lists both yellow and dark brown with different model numbers.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bolle+tracker

I am not saying that everyone would prefer ski goggles below freezing and something else above, but those are my preferences. I suspect that everyone is a bit different

ADDENDUM:

I found a different Bolle website (USA Version) that lists both yellow and dark brown (twilight) part numbers, perhaps the other site was an international version?
https://www.bollesafety-usa.com/model/tracker

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 11-16-19 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 11:26 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
”Cat Crap”antifog works pretty well. I prefer the paste vs the liquid spray. It’s on the shelf at Walmart.