Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2014 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO geometry.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-08-19, 05:46 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Hello all, I am in the search of the perfect machine, and I have been looking at 29'ers.
I specifically want a 29er because of it's long distance/everyday capability. (I commute more than I ride trails).

I would consider a 26, but I have yet to find one that is just right.

I recently came across a very fairly priced 2014 Specialized stumpjumper EVO.

I had a few questions:
1. I have heard that the geometry of 29ers has improved over the years. Would 2014 be one of those years that benefit from the new geo's?
A 29er seems a little too unwieldy to me, but I have heard that they have improved that feel by shortening the wheelbase, steepening the headangles, etc.
I sort of felt one at the local LBS (2019 model) that felt great, and didn't feel like it would be sluggish.
Does this particular evo suffer from the previously known problems of "sluggish geometry"?

2. What would you guys pay for a 2014 Evo in great to excellent condition?

3. A lot has happened in the world of MTB technology from 2014-2019. What exactly am I missing out on, and what would justify buying a new bike over this one?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-11-19, 04:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Bike geometry can be faddish. But you can be sure that a Stumpjumper, the most popular model from one of the biggest companies, is not going to be offensive. The fork got a bit more raked out, but the SJ has always been a little more on the fast-pedaling and not the enduro side of things, and I think it was last refreshed in 2018.

Much of what's changed in MTB's over the last five years is just stuff that was brand new then being available at lower price points now. Most bikes are tubeless ready, have 1x drive trains and thru axles.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-11-19 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 04:45 PM
mpls85

Bikes: Yeti SB150, Specialized Chisel, Giant Defy Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Much of what's changed in MTB's over the last five years is just stuff that was brand new then being available at lower price points now. Most bikes are tubeless ready, have 1x drive trains and thru axles.
While it's true that component tech has continued to trickle down, I'd argue that the changes in higher end bikes are way more significant than that. The geometry of current aggressive trail bikes- e.g. Santa Cruz Hightower, Yeti SB bikes, Ibis Ripmo & Ripley, etc.- is fundamentally different than a 2014 Stumpjumper. At a super high level, modern bikes have a longer front-center with long reach, short chainstays, plus low BB, steeper seat tube angle, and slacker head tube angle.

A 2019/20 bike is going to ride much, much differently than a 2014 bike due to these differences. Which is not to say one is worse than the other- lots of people still prefer older geometry. I just think the OP should ride old & new geometry back to back to determine his or her preference, because it's more complex than just a 2x vs. 1x drivetrain (for example).

Edit- here's a geometry comparison of the 2014 & 2020 SJ Evo:
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/s...on-29-2020-s3/

Last edited by mpls85; 11-12-19 at 05:25 PM.
Likes For mpls85:
Old 11-13-19, 08:51 PM
BicycleBicycle

Oh man, I never knew that site existed.
It's almost like they are completely different bikes.

In the MTB world, what percentage of the "innovation" is gimmicky, and what percentage of it is actual improvement?
Old 11-14-19, 11:21 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by BicycleBicycle
It's almost like they are completely different bikes.
That's because they are. Preferences (or marketing) have brought the current regular Stumpjumper to where it's just a little beyond the 2014 EVO, so the now-EVO is further beyond it into enduro-bike territory. But if you compare any of them to a 1999 model, now THAT is a huge difference.

IMO brands like Ibis and Yeti have to get out ahead of their skis once in a while, because that's their market: The latest, lightest, and most premium racing bikes, $3000 for just the frame/fork. But they still retain older successful models like the Mojo 3, now in its fourth model year, because they work well everywhere, not just grinding uphill and plowing down. There's still a market for nimble.
Old 11-14-19, 11:55 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Do you really need full suspension? It's gonna require fork and shock maintenance and rebuilds at regular intervals, constant attention to air pressure adjustment, and it's extra weight.

The only justification for these inconveniences are extremely rough and washed out roads - too rough for cars and normal trucks - and chunky trails covered with large stones.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 11-14-19 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 12:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Well, he did say commuting.
Old 11-14-19, 02:31 PM
mpls85

Bikes: Yeti SB150, Specialized Chisel, Giant Defy Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Well, he did say commuting.
I totally missed that in the original post

BicycleBicycle, I would strongly recommend against a full suspension trail bike for commuting!! I'd get a steel hardtail or full rigid 29er with some light/low knob tires for your purposes. Full suspension will cost more upfront, require more maintenance, and degrade your efficiency on pavement.
Old 11-14-19, 02:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

It depends on the commute. I'm commuting on a MTB. It's a short ride (7 mi round trip), I have trails between me and work, and more nearby. In a couple of years when my smallest kid is large enough to haul her own self around, I can see wanting a FS bike again. I had one before, and really liked it. I'm on a plus tire hard tail mainly because I want to do other things with my bike (kid seat, towing) that a FS isn't any good at. But no way am I ever going to fully use six/five inches of front/rear travel.
Old 11-25-19, 12:11 PM
BicycleBicycle

Thanks for the good responses guys!
I definitely wasn't going to get a full suspension MTB for commuting.
In fact, I was even trying to avoid front suspension if possible as my bike is more of a commuter than anything (but I will take it to the trails once in a while, or even often).
I ended up getting an EXTREMELY good deal on a rigid MTB. It was buy a company that makes really cool relatively affordable (at least in comparison to mtb frames) steel mtb frames.
Full custom, XT components, 1x10, hydraulic discs, carbon bars, stans rims, the works. It even came with slicks on it (with water channels).
I got in on craigslist.

It's a ridiculously fun bike to smash aroudn town with, and very effective as a commuter. I've been hitting up whatever offroadish sections I can find, and it will soon be heading to the local singletrack.
Way more capable, way more nimble, way lighter, and even way better at stopping than any hybrid would have been.
I'm also for sure taking this thing down some singletrack.

I'm constantly messign around on it now, and it inspires me to really do more things with it.

I have a quick question though, would it be ok to do some light jumps (like the small tabletops and kicker/rhythym sections you see on trails) on a steel 29er?
Think: el mariachi, or p29er kind of a hard tail.
I feel like I can throw this down any trail and go adventure anywhere with it, but i'm kind of afriad to do some light freestyle with it.
I'm a clyde, so there's also that.