Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Nakto e bikes??

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Nakto e bikes??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-19, 10:16 PM
PreacherG

Bikes: GenZe 102 e bike, 70'S Moosburg 3 sp touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nakto e bikes??

My search for an ENTRY e bike has led me to the Nakto Green Speed for $659. It is a cruiser style, 26" x 1.75" tires, rear motor, 350W 36V 10aH battery, disc brakes with shutoff, 6 sp Shimanto gears, 3 PAS plus throttle. I realize it is a no name battery and motor is unknown brand. It will be used for leisure rides with my wife, no off road or heavy use. For the price, it has all of my must have and several wants.

https://www.upzy.com/collections/upzy-products/products/2019-nakto-green-speed-350w-36v-10ah-6-speed-mountain-electric-bike?_pos=1&_sid=a740b11a3&_ss=r

My current bike is 40+ years old and has not been ridden in 25 years. It is 3 sp internal hub gears. It is too old to upgrade to disc brakes. Installing a rear hun motor loses any gearing at all. The price for a kit complete with battery would cost as much or more than this bike.

I really do not have $2500 to spend on a Trek e bike. I know it is a much better bike. I would rather have it. I just can not afford it.

My DW will be riding her matching bike to my old one - once I completely tear it down, clean and reassemble with new tires and tubes, this winter.

Any comments on this bike or this plan?
Old 11-22-19, 11:37 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Top speed is pretty slow (15mph). Hope your wife doesn't go too fast. Interestingly a google search finds walmart with the same bike and a top speed of 20mph.
Old 11-22-19, 05:00 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Might be a Euro spec with a speed limiter to 15 mph. Might be a typo on top speed. Often, there is a little wire you disconnect to remove a speed limit. But don't take my word for it. I said "often". At least this Natco has real disk brakes. If you feel lucky ....

I never feel lucky. I'd feel better looking at a Hyper, Schwinn, or Kent on the Walmart site. If you cannot deal with minor stuff like non-inflated tires, rubbing brakes or loose pedala, then don't buy online. At least with Walmart, the brands that they ship can be easily be returned to the store if they gave you a dead bike.

You're going to find that the problem with riding an ebike with a partner on a regular bike is that the ebike is too fast.
Old 11-22-19, 08:07 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for the replies.
I do not do Wal Mart - Personal reasons.
The bike is available on several sites, or I assume it is the same bike. Some show brake shutoff, others don't. Some show 3 PAS others do not say. Range varies all over. All quote same 350W and 36V 10aH battery.

In my MUCH younger days, I believe I could have assembled my Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed internal hub blindfolded - all 71 parts! A few adjustments are expected.

One reason for my throttle requirement was to allow me to "keep down" to my DW speed. I suspect PAS 1 would work, but...

I choose the linked site because they answered questions with real honest replies. Any comments specific to upzy.com or Nakto?
Old 11-22-19, 08:17 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Avoid the Nakto Camel model, it has just a scooter band brake on the rear which really isn’t powerful enough if you are descending a hill. If you would like disk brakes there are other budget ebikes such as a GenZe used/refurb from just $500 https://www.genze.com/nearly-new/
Old 11-22-19, 09:37 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dewey, Thank you for the link. Those bikes look very interesting, but the site provides precious little solid data about them. I sent an e mail requesting more info. Also, according to the pics in my Nakto link, this bike DOES have rear disc brakes. Camel lacks disc brakes anywhere.

Doc_wui, I looked at those Wally World bikes. None had all the features of the Nakto of interest. Many lacked disc brakes, others lacked a throttle. One was a single speed.

I DO appreciate the suggestions.
Old 11-23-19, 06:32 AM
Dewey101

Here is an article listing some other current deals https://9to5toys.com/2019/11/21/elec...-friday-sales/

regarding the Genze bikes here’s a thread including contributions from folk who have bought the refurb 100 series, in particular see rbhamilton's contributions on https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-...pressions.html which might provide info to help guide a purchase.

here is Court Rye’s review of the bike back when it was new https://electricbikereview.com/genze/recreational-e102/

Last edited by Dewey101; 11-23-19 at 06:52 AM.
Likes For Dewey101:
Old 11-23-19, 02:22 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I bought an ecotric fat tire folding bike for $779 earlier this year on amazon. I have no complaints, It's a nice bike, but I should have bought a regular 20" folder, because fat tires are kind of silly on pavement.

Here's their current sale on a city bike. Disk brakes. Bafang motor. 36V battery will give 25 mile range. The three speed pedal assist is acceptable. It's the same control as on the Natco and a million other ebikes. In fact I have it on the above and also on my first ebike kit. There's a facebook owners group and there doesn't seem to be much angst there.

https://www.ecotric.com/collections/...Fd8RiyHACaViaE
Old 11-23-19, 03:18 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dewey,
You have just about sold me on the used GenZe. Their web site lacks much detail, so let me ask their new salesman - you.
It appears the 200 series is a minor upgrade of the 100 series with a better, but lower mounted display and a phone app.
Does it also come with 5 PAS settings where the 100 series has only 3 PAS settings?
The used price appears the same. Why would I want a 100 series when I can get a 200 series for the same price? Are there reasons to hold out for a 200 series?

This Forum is GREAT!!! Thanks to all!
Old 11-23-19, 05:33 PM
Dewey101

To be clear the 200 series does not appear on their used/nearly new page, you might call them to ask if they are selling any 200 series demos or ex-floor models, but the deals appear to be on the used 100-series bikes. That being said the 100-series is a good bike, the battery is on the small size but a spare battery is relatively inexpensive. Because they come in different sizes you might find a better fit than many budget ebikes that come in one frame size only, just as well as their website says all sales are final. They were assembled from imported parts at Genze’s facility in Michigan so they have at least undergone US quality control checks.

Last edited by Dewey101; 11-23-19 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-23-19, 05:53 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are a FEW 200 series on the used list, but you must look carefully to find them in the middle of the long list.
Old 11-23-19, 09:11 PM
Dewey101

Here are two reviews of the 200 series

https://electricbikereview.com/genze/200-series/

https://electrek.co/2019/03/26/revie...commuter-bike/
Old 11-25-19, 12:36 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I believe I am ready to pull the trigger. DW approved.
First, you are right, no 200 series in used. I guess dyslexia struck briefly.
Second, I would prefer white, but the current NEW models only come in black. Am I to assume white ones are one version older than current black ones, even with 350W motor?
Third, I see bikes from 0 miles to over 2000 miles. Granted, lower is better, but at what mileage do you become wary? The price difference is not that big, maybe $100.
I am looking at 102 series, 18" frame, 350W motor.

Any other words of wisdom?
Old 11-25-19, 02:08 PM
Dewey101

See https://www.genze.com/accessories/ The bikes should be mechanically fine though you could always pay a local bike shop to assemble the bike and check the brakes and gears work, it's the battery you need to think about, particularly on older and higher mileage models, or if you want to ride further than 15 miles - but at $500 including shipping you can afford to get a spare battery at $390 including shipping - there are 2 models of battery so you should check with Genze on when a particular bike you are interested in buying was made, if it was made before June 2017 you need the 1st gen battery, if it was made after June 2017 you need the 2nd gen battery.

If you intend to ride in the wet I'd consider getting fenders, if you're thinking you would ride on dry pavement you probably don't need them, but if you want to carry anything I suggest you get the rack and a bungee cord or net and a basket. Buy a u-lock to secure the bike.

Post your impressions here, I'd be interested to read what you think of the bike.

Last edited by Dewey101; 11-25-19 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-25-19, 02:23 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dewey101
If you intend to ride in the wet or further than 15 miles I'd consider getting fenders see https://www.genze.com/accessories/ The bikes should be mechanically fine, it's the battery you might need to think about - but at $500 including shipping you can afford to get a spare - there are 2 batteries so you should check with Genze on when a particular model you are interested in buying was made, if it was made before June 2017 you need the 1st gen battery, if it was made after June 2017 you need the 2nd gen battery. If you're thinking you would ride locally on dry pavement you probably don't need them, but if you want to carry anything I suggest you get the rack and a bungee cord or net and a basket. Buy a u-lock to secure the bike.

Post your impressions here, I'd be interested to read what you think of the bike.
We are on the same page. I planned to get fenders and the rear rack. A lock is a MUST.
Why should I get a U Lock rather than some other style?
Is the first gen battery the 8.6aH and second gen the 9.8aH or is it a change in shape?

You are a true wealth of information! Thank you sooooo much!
Old 11-26-19, 08:18 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I placed my order this evening. GenZe Nearly New e102 18" frame, 350W rear motor, silver color, 116 miles, newer type 2 battery. Newly listed today for $100 less than other similar listings, and I preferred the lighter color. I also ordered the fenders. I will pick up a rear carrier and a grandchild seat soon. I will let you know when it arrives.

A half century ago, my best friend got a new unassembled bike for Christmas. It came with a very detailed instruction book. We gave the book to my brother, who is a speed reader, to read and my friend and I put the bike together. We got done first!