Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Maxxis Holy Roller

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Maxxis Holy Roller

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 05:19 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Maxxis Holy Roller

Anybody used a 26" Maxxis Holy Roller as a touring tire? Looking for a substitute for a Surly Extraterrestrial, they seem a bit random QC wise. Of the 4 tires were using on our two bikes, 3 look like new after 2500km, and one is nearly worn out, and seems to be made with a different rubber compound. I really like the fat tire feeling,and the off road grip of the ET but not having a tire wear out so quickly.
Old 08-31-18, 06:57 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I used the Holy Rollers on my old touring bike. They lasted on the Idaho Hot Springs route and plenty of local trail riding. The tires weren't even close to worn out after maybe 4000 miles.
Old 08-31-18, 07:44 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Do you need the knobs on your touring tire? Not to divert attention away from your original question, but if you are riding mostly on pavement and you like the balloon tire feel, you might prefer Schwalbe Big Apples. They are meaty, big, and bouncy, but they are smooth, like slicks, and they roll great on the road.

If you feel I am hijacking your thread, just ignore me.
Old 09-02-18, 08:43 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Do you need the knobs on your touring tire? Not to divert attention away from your original question, but if you are riding mostly on pavement and you like the balloon tire feel, you might prefer Schwalbe Big Apples. They are meaty, big, and bouncy, but they are smooth, like slicks, and they roll great on the road.

If you feel I am hijacking your thread, just ignore me.
Yeah, I've looked at them, but tend to do some gravel work and ride all over the place, like down grassy banks. I like the Access All Areas aspect of the ET, they have just enough grip to inspire confidence. but they are made by Innova, which isn't the highest quality manufacturer.
So I figure one of the inverted tread BMX tires might be a good substitute. Looking at the Holy Roller, Kenda K-Rad, Schwalbe Crazy Bob. The K-rad looks interesting as it's available in a 2.5....
Old 12-03-19, 08:55 AM
Jsnaggle

Bikes: 1991 Bridgestone MB-1, 2022 BMC Monstercross, 1990 Bianchi Axis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've used the Schwable Crazy Bob tires on my Trek 930 on some pretty rough stuff and it has handled well. The only thing I didn't like about the tire was that it had a lip that extended over the wall of the rim which reduces the brake contact patch considerable. I cut it off with a razor blade and the tires have been great. I've wondered about the others listed mainly the Holly Roller, and K-Rad. Probably will try one of those next.