Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice on bike sizing

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Seeking advice on bike sizing

Old 10-31-19, 10:56 PM
vishal_pvk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Seeking advice on bike sizing

I'm 6'1" with a 36 inseam and I am thinking of taking an 19.5" L size hybrid bike because that's a vastly available frame size for my height. I've done huge research and checked various forums and online size calculator sites and according to the charts they provide, they all seem to follow a standard relation between overall height and inseam length. And I understood that my body proportions are off those standards. According to that standard if taken the overall height, the 19.5 inch frame should fit me. But when I take the inseam, things get strange. According to the inseam length suggested size I need to go for a 21" frame at least, because my inseam length falls in range of a 6'3 or 6;4" person. Now this is really confusing and it would really help if someone clears me of this. Unfortunately I'm far away from any major city to test the bike physically in a shop and I'm buying online. So please help me if i should go for a 21" XL size, if so will it be too big? Or I can fit the 19.5" frame with some major adjustments which seem unavoidable considering my abnormally long inseam for my height? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-19, 09:32 AM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Bike sizing

I'm no expert but I used to be 6'3" when I bought a Bianchi Road bike. (I'm now 76 and 6'1") I wanted a larger frame but the salesman who raced bikes said there was no need, a smaller bike was lighter and my size could be fitted with seat height and handlebar stem height and reach. I bought the size he recommended and with the mods was very happy with it.
Old 11-01-19, 10:17 AM
vishal_pvk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeftyS7
I'm no expert but I used to be 6'3" when I bought a Bianchi Road bike. (I'm now 76 and 6'1") I wanted a larger frame but the salesman who raced bikes said there was no need, a smaller bike was lighter and my size could be fitted with seat height and handlebar stem height and reach. I bought the size he recommended and with the mods was very happy with it.
Wait how are you 6'1" now?
Old 11-01-19, 10:34 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by vishal_pvk
Wait how are you 6'1" now?
Age.

I was 6'4", I'm also 76 and now 6' 2.5" spinal components compress over time.
Old 11-01-19, 11:05 AM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Talking Nailed it!

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Age.

I was 6'4", I'm also 76 and now 6' 2.5" spinal components compress over time.
Thank you, exactly! Getting old is not for the faint of heart.
Old 11-01-19, 11:12 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Smile

Gravity waves. There is great variation in the force of gravity from one part of the planet to another. On light gravity days I am 5' 7" but 5' 6 1/2" at other times.
Old 11-01-19, 10:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I don't know a better way to decide the issue than to go to a shop and get the bike fitted to you, saddle height, stem length, bar height, etc., ride it on a shop trainer and see if it works for you. Or try two different sizes and see which works better. It's worth a several hour drive IMO. That's why it's more expensive to buy from a LBS than online, especially if you don't know your exact measurements in the particular bike style.
Old 11-17-19, 02:53 AM
bobonabike

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Omnium, Yeti SB130, Santa Cruz Chameleon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Hi vishal_pvk... I sympathise, because I'm also relatively tall but with disproportionately long legs.

You'll find you need to run a higher seatpost than 'normal', meaning the front end will feel lower than it 'should' be and your centre of gravity is further back than it 'should' be.

So, I suggest...
- go for the larger sized frame to ensure there's plenty seat-tube length
- get a shorter stem, say 90mm vs a 'normal' 110mm, to shorten the bike by 20mm
- pop 10-20mm of spacers under the stem to raise the bars slightly
- slide saddle forward on the rails, to shorten the bike by 10-15mm and move you forward
- tip saddle down slightly, to keep it comfortable given your back will be flatter (and aero!)

For the record, I am 100% comfortable on my bike... good fit is perfectly possible if you adapt small things!

B