Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Disc vs Rim Brakes

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Mechanical Disc vs Rim Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-19, 06:03 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Kelly
My new gravel frame was built up with TRP Spyres and the braking was horrible, I changed out the housing to compressionless and finally used organic Swiss Stop pads and got braking to be almost as good as my calipers. On long downhills the organic pads last one ride and then they need to be replaced. The heat on the rotors is so high it burns my long fingered gloves on contact.

I sold my bike and am getting a frame built with cant studs for V brakes. Why use a brake that is heavy, expensive, ugly and does not work as well as V Brakes or Calipers brakes? I have never had any trouble with calipers in rain or otherwise. Disc brakes for road bikes are a solution for a problem that does not exist.
Good point. I'm just looking at getting disc brakes for my own mechanical education and, well frankly, everybody else seems to have them on their shiny new bikes and I don't want to be left out!
Old 11-30-19, 09:16 AM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
Good point. I'm just looking at getting disc brakes for my own mechanical education and, well frankly, everybody else seems to have them on their shiny new bikes and I don't want to be left out!
The call of the Sirens can be irresistible, unless you tie yourself to the mast.
Old 11-30-19, 09:23 AM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
The call of the Sirens can be irresistible, unless you tie yourself to the mast.
Old 11-30-19, 11:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
There are horror stories like what was recently posted, then there is everyone else who doesnt post horror stories because every ride is uneventful and the braking works just fine.

I have juintech f1 hydraulic-cable brakes on my gravel bike, mtb hydraulic on my mtb, and mtb hydraulic on one of my daughter's MTBs. All work perfectly fine.

I've set up probably half a dozen bikes with spyre brakes for friends and they work quite well for a long time without adjustment or maintenance.

I got compressionless brake housing for mine and it's really fantastic. Worth the $30.

I like these disc brakes more than my old gravel frame that has cantilevers. I still use that frame for commuting/touring and love it, so it's not like that setup is bad, to be clear. The brake feel of my currently setup is nicer, though I stop the same with both(I'm still alive and not hurt).
It honestly could be that I just like the compressionless housing a lot and if that were on the cantilever frame I would like the feel of that equally.
Old 11-30-19, 09:10 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've been very happy with my TRP mechanical discs. Had them since 2013, no issues, easy to adjust, pads last a long time, I'm a 200 lb rider, and they stop me every time.

My friend prefers flat bars, mine is on the right.
Old 12-01-19, 05:21 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
It can be done fairly easily but unless you're riding in the rain/mud a lot I'd rather just stick to rim brakes. I'm too OCD about front/rear matching for lever feel, the brakes themselves, and wheels for this endeavor to be appealing.
Old 12-01-19, 05:08 PM
PeakBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have been pleased with the performance of TRP Hy/Rd mech/hydraulic brakes on my winter bike.
I have used compressionless housing (Yokozuna Reaction) and reduced the lever pull with replacement parts.
95% as good as well installed full hydraulics from my experience through several northern England winters.