Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Happy New Years!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Happy New Years!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 09:23 AM
Aquamach

Bikes: Raleigh Record 410, Giant Contend 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy New Years!

Happy New Year! At 59 years of age, I’ve recently felt the desire to delve a bit deeper into biking. One of my most cherished Christmas presents as a kid was a Sears single speed banana seat bike. It wasn’t so much the bike that I prized but rather the adventure and freedom it seemed to provide. I went everywhere on it. Would love to know how many miles I put on it. Wonder today still, whatever happened to it.

That said, a few years back, I acquired a Raleigh Record 410 Road Bike. Still have it. Got it cheap but it’s way too big for me. Seat is slammed down and I’m pretty stretched out on it. Interestingly, it doesn’t seem to bother me. I’ve ridden up to forty miles on it without too much problem. The thing is a tank though and really not geared for the area that I wish to ride in. Live in the Tulsa Ok area and we have some very nice bike trails here for which I could better enjoy with a bit better bike sized appropriately for me. As such, I’ve been scouring the web for an entry level road/endurance bike and settled on a Giant Contend 3. I almost pulled the trigger on a Specialized Allez, but it was a tad more and I felt like the Giant would be better suited for my needs and desires.

Anyway, look forward to the time I will spend here experiencing and sharing in the atmosphere. Sorry for the long into. Never can seem to keep it short.

John
Old 01-01-19, 01:40 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 240 Posts
Hey Aquamach - welcome from another newbie!

I'm about the same age as you, so your story resonated with me.
My first bike was a Royce Union (20" wheel I think) . It started out as a very staid upright machine, but like all the other kids on my block, I converted it to banana seat and high rise bars, basically a "Stingray".

Hope you enjoy your new bike. I found that adding an off-road companion to the road bike I've had for 30 years rejuvenated my enthusiasm for biking. Change is good.
Old 01-01-19, 07:03 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Welcome John. Thanks for sharing your story. We all have one about starting but yours is very interesting.
Old 01-01-19, 08:22 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, Aquamach! My Schwinn Stingray was my most cherished possession for a very long time.