Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Portland, OR - s(ites/ights) of interest to a visiting C&V'er (mid-winter 2019) ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Portland, OR - s(ites/ights) of interest to a visiting C&V'er (mid-winter 2019) ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 04:41 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts

Velocult is no more.

February in Portland (much like February in my home base of Vancouver, BC) is likely to resemble a shower beginning to turn into a bath.

But Portland is a notoriously bike-enthusiastic town, and I'll be spending a week from Jan 30 through Feb 7th with no particularly firm plans and a nice pied-a-terre in the Alberta neighbourhood of the city (near MLK Blvd/NE Alberta St, more or less).

I've never had the chance to spend more than a day or so within city limits - I know a good number of C&V regulars are in the vicinity - I'm wondering what y'all would recommend to a C&V forum fellow?

e.g. C&V friendly (or steel/ti friendly) local bike shops and coops, easy explorations by foot or bike in town that I might pencil in to my and my wife's itinerary, even general must-see or must-do's for a beer-, coffee-, nosh-, and book-loving C&V cyclist, walker, shop lackey, local history buff?

I have not yet determined if I will be able to bring a bicycle (I know I can throw one on the Amtrak train from YVR to PDX if I like for an extra $5 or $10, but may not be able to store inside at destination).

I would consider renting, depending on weather, if folks could recommend a good place to get a decent performance hybrid or drop bar machine in winter.

I'm pretty open to suggestions, and a firm believer that asking the locals is almost always the best way to trip-plan.

I know there have been similar threads in past, and I'll be looking at those closely - but reckon a fresh thread might turn up the most current (and seasonally-relevant) info?

Any thoughts, C&V?

Last edited by mikemowbz; 01-07-19 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 06:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Well, you might as well visit VANCOUVER!!!

Put up some dates, and perhaps we can throw together a bike ride. @gugie? @jyl?

I'm hoping for some dry weather. The week before the 14th is out for me, but I am due for a northbound ride.
Old 01-07-19, 06:21 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4681 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
Well, the last time we had a visitor from afar that posted here we put together a little sumpin' sumpin' at l'Atelier Gugie. If you don't bring a bike, as long as you fit within the normal distribution of bike riders, we can loan you one - for the week even.

If we can get a little luck and find a dry window on the Feb. 2nd or 3rd I think we can get a decent showing.

As far as bikie places to go, Community Cycle Center is a great co-op not far from where you're staying, maybe 10 blocks east on Alberta. Norther Cycles is walking distance as well. If you can bring a bike, please do - Portland is a LOT easier to get around by bike than be car, and you'll enjoy riding around the different neighborhoods, even if it's raining.

Other C&Vish places would be Rivelo and Sellwood Cycles. Universal Cycles can get you most anything within a day, they have a big online presence, but stock a lot of stuff out of the store in a warehouse. You can forego sales tax and shipping charges that way.

Amtrak is definitely the way to come down. Ride down to the station, they'll put your bike in the baggage car and hand it back to you when you get off, then ride away from the station.
Old 01-07-19, 08:08 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think the list from @gugie is a good start. Between us, he and I can probably cover a range from about 5'6" to 6'2" for a short term loaner bike.

One place I'd add to the list is River City Bicyles at Alder and MLK (closer to downtown). They don't sell a lot of C&V stuff, but they have a great collection hanging from the rafters and an actual shrine to Eddy Merckx.

Not C&V related, but since you're staying on Alberta neighborhood be sure to get lunch at The Grilled Cheese Grill -- the Baby Cheesus is amazing.
Old 01-07-19, 08:59 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
The Bike Farm is another co-op, not far from Alberta. Like most co-ops, inventory moves so there may or may not be anything of C&V interest at any point in time. I picked up a 70's Windsor Carrera Sport a while back; nothing special but fun in its quirkiness. I saw a Bianchi Eros for sale there yesterday. Compared to other co-ops I've visited around the country, the Bike Farm is above average in its operations. I drop-in volunteer there from time to time; I like the vibe.

I've not stopped by the Community Cycling Center yet, but I hear good things.

As far as rain, a lot of times it has just finished raining, and will be raining in a bit. That's the opportunity to move to the next coffee shop, bar, bike shop, or co-op.
Old 01-07-19, 09:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
I would put River city bicycles at the top of the list, Dave has lots of cool, iconic, rare bikes hanging from the ceiling, great guy and happy to talk.

Page street cycles with Chris Iglehart and Joseph Ahearne master framebuilders and Breadwinner cycles with cafe across the street.

Golden pliers bike shop cafe is very popular as well. Sidenote, Norther cycles is by appointment on weekdays.

Rides or visits can include West hills, Council Crest, Mt Tabor, Rocky Butte and further out Crown point, Old highway and Multnomah Falls.
Old 01-07-19, 09:49 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
These guys do a really nice bicycle tour of Portland, I highly recommend it if you can find a non-rainy day to enjoy it. Plus, the bikes they give you to ride are almost entirely from the 80s.The guy who was the tour giver for my group was very fun to talk to, he knew his stuff and was into touring as well. Definitely worth it, the stops that they take you to are fun as well. Fancy tea shop (fresh tea from China), microbrewery, ice cream place, tamales, Vietnamese lunch...one of my favorite parts of visiting the city.

You can, of course, rent a vintage steed from them as well.

https://www.pdxbikerentals.com
Old 01-07-19, 10:30 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Metropolis Bicycles. They are really great and they dig C&V.
Old 01-07-19, 10:44 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
If you're looking for decent parts in decent shape and all cleaned up (or just to window shop), Community Cycling Center is a great place. Their prices are good as well. City Bikes is a little further south within the city limit, and their layout is a little different, along with decidedly dearer prices (kind of annoying, but it's their business model, so whatever). Bike Farm can have some decent parts, but a lot of it is/can be pretty rough--you gotta go digging. CCC is pretty much my go-to when in Portland (visiting family) for parts variety, quality, condition, and price. That is, if I'm looking for stuff. For sight-seeing, listen to the other guys.
Old 01-08-19, 01:16 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
North and Northeast Portland are a lot fun for general riding around. Stick close to the Columbia river (both sides) and go exploring. Climb Mt Tabor, cross St Johns Bridge twice to say you did it, visit The Grotto and ride the elevator, walk the paths there, ride out to Multnomah Falls and back, visit Bike Tires Direct out there by the airport, and as many brewpubs as you can.

And then, on day 2...
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 01-08-19 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 01:13 PM
mikemowbz

@CliffordK - I will be arriving the 31st January, and departing the 7th February. A ride would be great! And it would make sense for a Vancouverite (GWN) to explore Vancouver (WA) a little...I have to assume both named for the Captain George of the 1791-5 Royal Navy expedition.

@gugie - a get-together of some sort sounds like a great opportunity to meet some of y'all and connect with Portland not just along the usual tourist circuits. I'd be interested in chatting about UBI and Raleigh frame modification, among other C&V-pertinent topics! I'd also be keen for a ride (maybe something relatively leisurely; I'd describe myself less in terms of numbered Category than in layman's terms such as "fat & slow"). Either 2nd or 3rd of Feb are wide open in my itinerary to this point. If weather is uncooperative - I'm thinking of this past Thursday in Vancouver, when I soaked through all my high-zoot technical rain gear just running a few errands in town early in the morning - then we could always highlight the beverages and conversation and gauge any miles on the road to the conditions.

I fall decidedly at one end of the spectrum of normal rider dimensions, at 6' 2 1/2" and 265lbs or so - and am just having my wife sort out whether our Airbnb host will tolerate me keeping a bike in the small suite we've booked, so a loan might be very welcome if the answer is 'no' (but I'm hoping to bring either my 'around town' 85/86 Nishiki Prestige or a new flat-bar Cromor steel city bike I'm currently building up from f/f at my work). Based on what everyone is telling me, I'll definitely have to sort out a bike for at least some of my adventures!

Much thanks for the list of "bikie places" as well; all added to the master list as I sketch out a trip plan...

@Andy_K - River City sounds a bit like a place I stumbled on my last trip to Seattle, Velo Bike Shop, insofar as the shop is oriented to more 'modern' bike sales/service, but the collection of C&V gold hanging up on the walls is well worth the trip! Shrine to Eddy worth a visit in itself. And the Grilled Cheese Grill sounds like something I'd appreciate...and my wife even more so.

@downtube42 - will def check them out as well; I like snooping around coops, even if there's no 'score' there for me (heck, all the fun with none of the expense or extra luggage, eh?) The on-again, off-again rain is pretty typical for the whole region, I reckon - so should be pretty familiar for me. If you're wondering whether to add a snack to your cuppa or whether you need a second pint - look out the window.

@merziac - great list of recommendations. River City is definitely sounding like a highlight. Would be very keen to check out Page Street as well - from what I've seen of both Iglehart and Ahearne, there is *a lot* to like. I've picked up a couple of little guide books listing rides around the metro area - that list will help me flip to some highlights and see what grabs me. I'd definitely like to do at least one substantial ride while in Oregon, likely looking for a combination of good distance (maybe 40-50 miles), scenery, and not too much climbing. Pending weather, of course.

@Piff - thanks for the recommendation! I'll check them out. Could be a really nice way to line up a few highlights under guidance (and under pedal power).

@RobbieTunes - will be sure to pop by Metropolis. It's not too far from where I'll be based, and nearby a few other places on my list. It seems no shortage of cool bike shops in PDX...

@RiddleOfSteel - that really helps me get a sense of those different spots, and it seems like CCC is emerging as top destination. Most of my stops will be look-only, but I reckon I might bring my wallet to CCC.

@Lascauxcaveman - the more I think about, the more I'm committed to having a bike handy the whole trip - so that I can hop and explore whenever I get a break. Your suggestions give me a pretty good basis for a 'get out and just go' exploration regime (along the river...), and a couple of 'destinations' I can work into my plans as well. I never thought of Bike Tires Direct as a brick-and-mortar destination - but I know see that they are, indeed (with the airport-proximate location making a lot of sense given their business). On an unrelated note, you get any Mowbrays staying at the hotel at the beginning of 2019? My folks visited the Peninsula for a few days after being visiting us here in Vancouver for Christmas and other family in Victoria following - I told them that if they needed a place to stay in Port Angeles, they needn't spend too much time with the guidebook to figure out the best in town.

Great recommendations, folks! Really appreciate all the ideas and tips. Y'all are the best.
Old 01-08-19, 02:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Yeah, I've found CityBikes interesting. Did they close half their stores? Anyway, apparently they both buy and sell used stuff, so they charge a bit more, but also have a better selection than other co-ops.

The Eugene co-op won't buy any used stuff. They take in quite a few donations, but a lot of the stuff out on the shelves is pretty low-end.

Another bike shop I've encountered is in downtown Tigard. It has actually been perhaps 20 years since I've been inside, but I think they were a bit eclectic at the time. I think the store still exists, but somehow I never seem to pass the place at the right time.
Old 01-08-19, 07:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

BTD is not a brick and mortar per se, but since the warehouse is right there its pretty much the same as, you just can't ogle all the stuff in person.

If you order online and its over $49 you can get another $5 off to pick up in store which I like to do since they always have some good deals in their showroom.
Old 01-08-19, 10:02 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemowbz
...On an unrelated note, you get any Mowbrays staying at the hotel at the beginning of 2019? My folks visited the Peninsula for a few days after being visiting us here in Vancouver for Christmas and other family in Victoria following - I told them that if they needed a place to stay in Port Angeles, they needn't spend too much time with the guidebook to figure out the best in town.
OMG, that was your parents? I should have put two and two together. They stayed with me at least once before this, and I'm sure I asked them if they were related to the Port Angeles Mowbrays, but I didn't think to ask if they were related to you. Your dad was trying to tell me something (maybe "Mike says Hi?") but he couldn't speak up enough for me to hear him. (I get that a lot)

Oh, and if "by best in town" you mean cheapest, sure.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 01-08-19, 11:16 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
@CliffordK - I will be arriving the 31st January, and departing the 7th February. A ride would be great! And it would make sense for a Vancouverite (GWN) to explore Vancouver (WA) a little...I have to assume both named for the Captain George of the 1791-5 Royal Navy expedition.
Yes, both *this* Vancouver and *that* Vancouver were named for Captain George... but we were first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver,_Washington
If you and the rest of the C&V gang want to come over, I'll take you around to some local history. Fort Vancouver and Officer's Row are nice to look at but they might be closed due to the fed'ral guvmint being all cattawumpus.
New this year is the Vancouver Waterfront. It's still being built, but the view from the cantilevered pier is neat. I can't wait until more of the businesses get built and are established. https://thewaterfrontvancouverusa.com/

A word about the weather: it's been uncommonly warm and dry. Right now it's a balmy 44° and it's been like that all day. However, it's been very windy today- blowing from the east at a steady 20mph. One of the things that can make Portland difficult (and beautiful) is the proximity of the Columbia Gorge. If we get a warm, wet air mass move in over cold air coming out of the Gorge, we don't get snow, we get ice. That probably won't happen this year (too warm) but if does nothing moves.

If you're up for a longer ride and the weather is OK, here's what I'd do: head south through downtown and along the Oaks Bottom Trail. Pick up the Springwater Corridor Trail heading east to Gresham (about 13 miles). Exit, head north to Troutdale and then find Marine Drive along the Columbia River back to your start. The object of this is to avoid the wind coming out of the Gorge while going east then pick up the wind going west- if you're luck you'll have a 25mph tailwind pushing you along. (I've done this- it's superfun.) It would be 40+ miles which might be too much for a winter day, but if it's nice-ish, try it!

It's too bad you'll be leaving before the Worst Day of the Year Ride. It's a hoot! Worst Day Ride ? Events by Axiom

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 01-08-19 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-09-19, 06:53 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
You mentioned books, you gotta check out Powell's
Powell's City of Books
1005 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97209, USA
+1 800-878-7323 https://g.co/kgs/96kRys
Old 01-09-19, 02:58 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Amtrak is definitely the way to come down. Ride down to the station, they'll put your bike in the baggage car and hand it back to you when you get off, then ride away from the station.
Neat idea that I'd like to do sometime. Are there any security or storage issues to consider? Should I bring any foam protection for the top tube?
Old 01-09-19, 06:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4681 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Neat idea that I'd like to do sometime. Are there any security or storage issues to consider? Should I bring any foam protection for the top tube?
No to both. The bike travels properly, on hanger.

Just as the British would do it.

Old 01-09-19, 10:43 PM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
OMG, that was your parents? I should have put two and two together. They stayed with me at least once before this, and I'm sure I asked them if they were related to the Port Angeles Mowbrays, but I didn't think to ask if they were related to you. Your dad was trying to tell me something (maybe "Mike says Hi?") but he couldn't speak up enough for me to hear him. (I get that a lot)

Oh, and if "by best in town" you mean cheapest, sure.
Yup, that was them! And I bet that was it, too.

And If you get a 'Paul' a few years younger than my pops one of these weekends, there's a good chance it's my uncle from the other end of the Black Ball ferry line!
Old 01-09-19, 11:01 PM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Yes, both *this* Vancouver and *that* Vancouver were named for Captain George... but we were first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver,_Washington
If you and the rest of the C&V gang want to come over, I'll take you around to some local history. Fort Vancouver and Officer's Row are nice to look at but they might be closed due to the fed'ral guvmint being all cattawumpus.
New this year is the Vancouver Waterfront. It's still being built, but the view from the cantilevered pier is neat. I can't wait until more of the businesses get built and are established. https://thewaterfrontvancouverusa.com/

A word about the weather: it's been uncommonly warm and dry. Right now it's a balmy 44° and it's been like that all day. However, it's been very windy today- blowing from the east at a steady 20mph. One of the things that can make Portland difficult (and beautiful) is the proximity of the Columbia Gorge. If we get a warm, wet air mass move in over cold air coming out of the Gorge, we don't get snow, we get ice. That probably won't happen this year (too warm) but if does nothing moves.

If you're up for a longer ride and the weather is OK, here's what I'd do: head south through downtown and along the Oaks Bottom Trail. Pick up the Springwater Corridor Trail heading east to Gresham (about 13 miles). Exit, head north to Troutdale and then find Marine Drive along the Columbia River back to your start. The object of this is to avoid the wind coming out of the Gorge while going east then pick up the wind going west- if you're luck you'll have a 25mph tailwind pushing you along. (I've done this- it's superfun.) It would be 40+ miles which might be too much for a winter day, but if it's nice-ish, try it!

It's too bad you'll be leaving before the Worst Day of the Year Ride. It's a hoot! Worst Day Ride ? Events by Axiom
There was no city to speak of here in 1857 (before the gold rush and the Hastings mill), so ahead by a long shot (relatively speaking).

A trip up to Vancouver is surely in the cards - sounds like there's some sights to see. Would be cool to meet up.

WRT the weather in the Columbia Gorge, do you mean that the area is prone to ice storms, properly speaking, or more that freezing rain/mixed precipitation means road/trail/sidewalk surfaces icing over (rather than accumulating snow)? Ice storms are nasty happenings.

Appreciate the route suggestion, and the reasoning behind it - I'll be sure to check out some forecasts as we roll into town and make some time if I can catch a nice one!
Old 01-09-19, 11:04 PM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by bwilli88
You mentioned books, you gotta check out Powell's
Powell's City of Books
1005 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97209, USA
+1 800-878-7323 https://g.co/kgs/96kRys
One of the few places I made sure to fit in on my last (one-day) visit to the city while heading out to Seaview, WA for vacation a couple of summers back!

That is one sizeable book store.
Old 01-09-19, 11:13 PM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
As @gugie suggests, bikes are well secured in both senses of the word (not swinging around in harms way, and monitored).

Have been very pleased with Amtrak bike transport arrangements in past.

Plus, coming from Canada, the border security folks pass through the train and take your customs declaration forms from you while you remain comfortably seated at Blaine, WA. Versus filing out to wait in the line in the border security office when you take the bus. Seems a bit more civilized ("as the British would do it", once again, I suppose). Win-win.
Old 01-10-19, 01:56 AM
merziac

There was no city to speak of here in 1857 (before the gold rush and the Hastings mill), so ahead by a long shot (relatively speaking).

A trip up to Vancouver is surely in the cards - sounds like there's some sights to see. Would be cool to meet up.

WRT the weather in the Columbia Gorge, do you mean that the area is prone to ice storms, properly speaking, or more that freezing rain/mixed precipitation means road/trail/sidewalk surfaces icing over (rather than accumulating snow)? Ice storms are nasty happenings.

Appreciate the route suggestion, and the reasoning behind it - I'll be sure to check out some forecasts as we roll into town and make some time if I can catch a nice one!
It can be both in the Gorge and freakish when it happens, not likely in an el nino year like this and not in the long range forecast at this time, but you never know. We are having high temps right now so we'll see, I would keep it in mind as a good ride out here is a wondrous thing. I would consider Multnomah falls as well but it would take some planning as the ride back up to Crown point is a killer. It can be circumvented by a sag back from the falls which is doable as they have a shuttle that comes back to the Gateway transit center. I grew up out here and love the Gorge, ride it often when I can, only one ride this year as the old highway was closed for over a year from Bridal veil to Multnomah falls until just recently from the Eagle creek fire that almost got the lodge at the falls.
Old 01-10-19, 11:18 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
As the Merz-meister said, ice "storms" are more likely and are not really in the cards this year. Two years ago we had several in the month of January which took a couple weeks to melt and the many roads were trashed by the freeze/thaw cycle. I've seen this more often than the frozen precipitation situation.

I wish I had had the time and energy to go for a ride this afternoon- the wind was calm and the sky cleared. I had a beautiful view of Mt. Hood on my drive home.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-13-19, 11:59 AM
mikemowbz

Great info, and some definite ride possibilities...will be sure to bring all the gear I carry to be prepared for unpredictable weather up here further north along the Pacific coast (also pleasing to hear that while ice storms may be a local phenomenon, I shouldn't necessarily expect to encounter one this go around!)

Increasingly looking like I may bring a brand-new flat bar steel road/city bike I'm currently building up - not vintage, but a bit of 'classic' blood (Columbus tubes!) We'll see.

In any case, I'm assured of having no lack of things to do to occupy my week in Portland!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.