Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best cycling city in USA?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best cycling city in USA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-19, 07:51 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
Tucson. Roadies everywhere, all year round, a big road scene and a local 6,000+ foot climb. Search RWGPS for keyword "Lemmon" and see one ride elevation gains of well over 6k. I ride in groups of 5-40 3 times a week(minimum) all year round, and lead at least one 70+ mile ride every month.
When it heats up in the summer we go out earlier, to higher elevation, or travel.
What is the average temperature on those summer rides?
Old 12-26-19, 12:28 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Is Tucson weather similar to Houston weather?
Old 12-26-19, 10:58 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Is Tucson weather similar to Houston weather?
You're comparing a city in the desert to one on the Gulf coast, so semi-arid vs. sub-tropical. 10" of rain per year vs. 50".
Old 12-26-19, 11:46 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You're comparing a city in the desert to one on the Gulf coast, so semi-arid vs. sub-tropical. 10" of rain per year vs. 50".
I was thinking temperatures. My brother lives in Houston and even in the early morning, he says it is still pretty hot on his rides. My Mom lived in Phoenix. I never rode my bike there but those mornings were toasty.
Old 12-26-19, 05:41 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
What is the average temperature on those summer rides?
On an average 3 hour ride in the summer the end of ride temp is usually in the mid to high 80s. Those rides start around 6am, and it's best to head out earlier if you want to ride longer. That being said, I always see roadies out riding in the middle of the day in the summer too. Also, Phoenix has warmer weather than Tucson, as many riders from Phoenix tell me anyway.
Old 12-26-19, 06:47 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

I live in Raleigh. We've got two 30-mile each way paved rail trails.
Are you talking about the American Tobacco and Neuse River? Technically, one is 22 miles one way (7 hard gravel) and the other 33, all paved. But yes, these are great assets. I wouldn't think many cities have a pair of trails so nice, and as you note, there are other greenways. Plus, while Raleigh-Durham is a metro area, it's still not that hard to get out into the country. There are some well-run event rides like Bike Fest, Raven Rock Ramble and July 4 Firecracker Ride. Several riding clubs. ... I haven't biked much elsewhere, so can't compare, but the resources in this part of N.C. are a big reason that I've steadily become an avid cyclist.
Old 12-26-19, 08:27 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Are you talking about the American Tobacco and Neuse River? Technically, one is 22 miles one way (7 hard gravel) and the other 33, all paved. But yes, these are great assets. I wouldn't think many cities have a pair of trails so nice, and as you note, there are other greenways. Plus, while Raleigh-Durham is a metro area, it's still not that hard to get out into the country. There are some well-run event rides like Bike Fest, Raven Rock Ramble and July 4 Firecracker Ride. Several riding clubs. ... I haven't biked much elsewhere, so can't compare, but the resources in this part of N.C. are a big reason that I've steadily become an avid cyclist.
Yessir.

Today didn’t get more than 7mi from home, rode 3 hrs and 30 mi. Slow and intentional today. Exploring in city gravel paths and little bandit offshoots of the greenway. Saw little parts of creeks and big rocks and other stuff I’d never seen.

I just pray voters and council and development can reach a sustainable balance.

I worry.

It is why I approve every ask for greenway money or green space money.

Otherwise the rich pricks speculating will rob it of us blind.
Old 12-26-19, 09:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
I've lived in the Los Angeles area most of my life. Where I live is about 25 miles NE of downtown. There are mountain roads all over the area. I can ride from home and get to over 7000 feet. It gets hot here in the summer but the beach is not too far or the altitude of the mountains is cooler. The drivers are pretty good, depending on where you are,(the area is huge). There are road clubs all over and you can ride all year.
If you're looking to do bike paths the next valley over has an extensive network of bike paths you can actually go fast on.
There's also good mountain bike riding near by as well as surfing, skiing, etc.
Everything is ridiculously expensive, especially rent, gasoline, food, etc.
Old 12-27-19, 04:40 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm surprised how many people think of winter as a con. If you live somewhere with real winters, you should find a snow sport you love. You'll come back stronger and with a renewed passion when dryland season returns.
Sometimes it just gets too hard to ride.
Likes For Doge: