Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gas stations and auto repair places: essential. Bike shops: not

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gas stations and auto repair places: essential. Bike shops: not

Old 03-18-20, 01:58 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,270 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I started three responses to this but decided to just let it lie. All I've been hearing is the politics of this thing day after day and damn, I was hoping to get away from it here on BF. No such luck, I guess.

DD
Yeah, no place to hide on this C19 topic, sorry!
Old 03-18-20, 02:17 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
My thinking is, this is God’s way of telling corporate America to wake up, and make businesses have adequate public bathrooms. And plenty of them. It’s pointless to tell people to wash their hands with soap often, when there’s no place to do it. 🙄

Growing up in the 60s, I can remember when every place of business was required to have bathrooms available, at least to customers, if not the general public. What happened? This country is growing, but our government can’t keep up. 🙁
Old 03-18-20, 02:58 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
My thinking is, this is God’s way of telling corporate America to wake up, and make businesses have adequate public bathrooms....
Loki, Coyote or Anansi? Sounds like something one of them would do....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 03-18-20, 03:35 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I think the bottom line here is that drastically limiting social interactions in the short- to medium-term is going to help keep the health care infrastructure from getting overloaded. Until testing capacity is up to snuff, there is no way to know definitively how widely asymptomatic people are contributing to infection spread.

Technically, ignoring a shelter in place order is a misdemeanor, but there is no plan to enforce that here in the Bay Area at the moment. I suspect the same is true for bike shops -- while they are technically not deemed essential businesses in some areas, they would likely have an easy time arguing in their own defense and avoid any kind of punishment. If not, and there is evidence that bike shops are being unreasonably targeted for enforcement, then this should be called out.

In the meantime, let's all be nice to each other and read trustworthy news sources.
Old 03-18-20, 03:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Loki, Coyote or Anansi? Sounds like something one of them would do....
Sounds like Loki to me. IMO, of course. You may blame a different god.
Old 03-18-20, 04:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
FWIW in the bay area auto dealers can have their repair open but must close the sales floor, one could make the same argument for bike shops......no new bike sales, but parts and service available...not that i know anyone has

of course this is just day 2 and things are getting ironed out. i would expect shelter in place to be in place in the entire country pretty fast

Old 03-18-20, 04:59 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
Boston drivers/....ugh Doesn't surprise me.

Glad you are ok along with your car ...
Who said he was in his car?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 03-18-20, 05:03 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
I asked our city's bicycle transportation co-ordinator about this. She didn't have an official answer, but she was pretty certain that if things came to such a status here, bike repair/service facilities would be exempted as essential. Our Metro bus service is still running all routes, but they've limited boarding to 15 passengers per bus, so it's in the community's interest to keep those getting around by bike on their bikes, and off the bus.
Old 03-18-20, 05:08 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
I asked our city's bicycle transportation co-ordinator about this. She didn't have an official answer, but she was pretty certain that if things came to such a status here, bike repair/service facilities would be exempted as essential. Our Metro bus service is still running all routes, but they've limited boarding to 15 passengers per bus, so it's in the community's interest to keep those getting around by bike on their bikes, and off the bus.
Yeah, you live in an enlightened place. if the weather was better there I would move back in a flash. Where I live is less progressive, and more bureaucratic/ignorant of science and reality. I miss the thinking man being the everyman!
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 03-18-20, 05:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,270 Posts
Rivendell reporting that bike shops are now considered essential in Bay Area

Some sanity.
Or at least it's consistency.
Old 03-19-20, 04:18 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Get back to us next week with with new numbers. Perhaps go online and find out about exponential growth.
Already know of it, of course. Like most people.

No matter how easily it transmits, that doesn't alter its fundamental impact on a person. The basic death rate is what it is. Standard precautions for at-risk people still makes sense with this thing, perhaps even more so. I know of an 80yr old lady who's got various conditions that impact her respiratory system, who has been mixing it up with groups of people (including hugs of friends, etc) until the past two weeks. Bad, for her, to disregard basic precautions. I know of another man on dialysis who hasn't been taking many precautions at all. Well, if those individuals with such conditions take things seriously and keep themselves well-protected, then they'll be at vastly reduced risk. None of which alters the essential probability of severe symptoms or death in otherwise healthy persons.

The point is which is worse, doing nothing and letting several hundred thousand people in the US alone die and quickly get through the economic recovery, or stretch out the economic dread and limit the number of people dead? It may be that the number of people dying prematurely from economic collapse is as many or greater than the first option.
Tough situation, no doubt about it.

But it's a bit of a "tossing the baby out with the bath water" thing, to shut down the world's economy. Indeed, in such a "small" (interconnected) world, it's hard to halt transmission except for halting travel from place to place that allows for easy transmission. But with enough of that sort of thing, putting a sufficient dent in transmissibility via terminating all socioeconomic activity, societies can collapse. It's not smallpox or bubonic plague, here. IMO the steps taken should be much more targeted; indeed, more-at-risk persons need to take early and great precautions; and everyone needs to practice "basic" hygiene and "distancing" protocols in their everyday activities. But so long as people disregard, stay in close proximity (like the dang party-hounds on Spring Break, for example), touch everything around them, sneeze/cough into the air ahead of them (without covering up), failing to wash hands frequently, etc., it's going to continue to transmit easily.

No easy steps ... other than those personal steps, which (so far as I can tell in my area) are steps people still aren't reliably and consistently taking.

Big question will soon become: for businesses that have missed the bulk of a quarter's income (or more, if this thing gets worse and "solutions" drag even harder on them), how many won't be there after tanking ... vastly-reduced income, plant+equipment costs remaining, impacted workforce.
Old 03-19-20, 08:40 AM
Clyde1820

The point is which is worse, doing nothing and letting several hundred thousand people in the US alone die and quickly get through the economic recovery, or stretch out the economic dread and limit the number of people dead? It may be that the number of people dying prematurely from economic collapse is as many or greater than the first option.

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
But it's a bit of a "tossing the baby out with the bath water" thing, to shut down the world's economy.
An example would be: Singapore, and its highly-specific, targeted approach. Of course, they didn't dally around, early on, once it was clear there was a highly-transmissible pathogen in the region. (And Singapore being what it is, it's also a travel hub.) As of today, Singapore's had 313 cases, 114 have recovered, and there have been zero deaths. And they haven't shut down their economy. By comparison, the USA has gone "ape" and refused an early, targeted approach that has attempted to identify every person arriving who might have symptoms, and seeks to identify and quarantine localized sub-groups of the population who've been in contact with those infected.

Singapore: 0.0055% (313) of the population of 5.7M have been infected, with 0 deaths.
USA: 0.0029% (9415) of the population of 329M have been infected, with 150 deaths.

Only one example, and a population of 5.7M with only so many transit hubs isn't 329M with countless "international" ports, but still. A highly-aggressive, targeted approach versus, for lack of a better term, a very late, "throw the baby out with the bathwater" method. Even without forcible shutdown of whole swaths of industry and small businesses, Singapore's estimating some areas of economic activity might well drop 30% or more this year, and take months longer than the last SARS(-1) outbreak took. Hard to imagine it wouldn't be vastly worse with the U.S.'s approach.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 03-19-20 at 08:49 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 03-19-20, 08:48 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Agree strongly. ^^^ This whole thing seems a lot like one of Mr. Trump’s weird diversions, to keep people from seeing something else. 🤔
Old 03-19-20, 11:44 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
Hey John E

The OP said he was in the right lane going 65-70 mph.

I do not know anyone who can go that fast on a bike and sustain it.

Does anyone **********
Old 03-19-20, 12:06 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
Hey John E

The OP said he was in the right lane going 65-70 mph.

I do not know anyone who can go that fast on a bike and sustain it.

Does anyone **********
I think you missed the attempt at humor.
Old 03-19-20, 12:18 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
HAAAAAAAAA

I'm laughing now. I must have been in a serious frame of mind..... Lot of stuff going on

We do have senses of humor here in Boston...............sometimes
Old 03-19-20, 12:51 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
An example would be: Singapore, and its highly-specific, targeted approach. Of course, they didn't dally around, early on, once it was clear there was a highly-transmissible pathogen in the region. (And Singapore being what it is, it's also a travel hub.) As of today, Singapore's had 313 cases, 114 have recovered, and there have been zero deaths. And they haven't shut down their economy. By comparison, the USA has gone "ape" and refused an early, targeted approach that has attempted to identify every person arriving who might have symptoms, and seeks to identify and quarantine localized sub-groups of the population who've been in contact with those infected.

Singapore: 0.0055% (313) of the population of 5.7M have been infected, with 0 deaths.
USA: 0.0029% (9415) of the population of 329M have been infected, with 150 deaths.

Only one example, and a population of 5.7M with only so many transit hubs isn't 329M with countless "international" ports, but still. A highly-aggressive, targeted approach versus, for lack of a better term, a very late, "throw the baby out with the bathwater" method. Even without forcible shutdown of whole swaths of industry and small businesses, Singapore's estimating some areas of economic activity might well drop 30% or more this year, and take months longer than the last SARS(-1) outbreak took. Hard to imagine it wouldn't be vastly worse with the U.S.'s approach.
I wish we could have a targeted approach, but without widespread testing, that is still like doing delicate surgery with boxing gloves on. So for now, we have to limit our response to things we can do with boxing gloves on.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...e-u-s-does-not
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 03-19-20, 02:34 PM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I wish we could have a targeted approach, but without widespread testing, that is still like doing delicate surgery with boxing gloves on. So for now, we have to limit our response to things we can do with boxing gloves on.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...e-u-s-does-not
Indeed. Without having started at the outset with verification of each and every new arrival, catching all inbound folks at all ports and borders to check them ... and, yes, without a valid test and sufficient number of the gear (swabs, scanners, etc) to accomplish it, it's impossible.

But it's an interesting comparison. That of doing all the right stuff from the get-go, and blowing it off for the better part of two months as though essential precautions aren't needed.

It'd be nice if no city/county/state government in the U.S. were to designate auto+bike shops as non-essential. When "mass" transit options are being pared back, when the dial-a-ride alternatives are getting rarer, and when car-pooling is risky as anything, it's hard to seal a person's transportation" fate by also making it all but impossible to get a vehicle fixed. Hopefully none do that. I suspect, though, that it will be too tempting at some point. Someone's going to declare it verboten, to protect people.
Old 03-19-20, 02:50 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Looks like Recycled Cycles in Seattle is open every, 10-6. Check out its facebook posts:

https://m.facebook.com/pg/recycledcy...ernal&mt_nav=0
Checked their facebook posts today, and they had some vandalism, a broken window.

Could be worse...
Old 03-22-20, 10:09 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
In Ohio, bicycle shops are considered essential businesses. I don't really know how to feel about that. Paychecks will keep coming in, but so will the risks.
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 03-22-20, 10:29 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Bike repair shops have also been deemed essential in San Francisco https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...e-15143435.php and can stay open.
Likes For davester:
Old 03-22-20, 10:51 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Rode to Recycled Cycles and found these in their pedals bin ...

Somehow, the first one I overhauled was adjusted the first try, but it took four attempts to get the second one just right. These are for an '80s Schwinn.

​​​​​​
Old 03-23-20, 02:16 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Is delivery not an option? (other than service)

I ordered a cheapo wheel for my grocery getter right before the lockdowns hit in China, I did get it, after 2 weeks, mostly due to C.N.Y.

It was a fantastic logistics test, I was joking with my wife that it would never arrive.
Old 03-23-20, 06:21 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Is delivery not an option? (other than service)

I ordered a cheapo wheel for my grocery getter right before the lockdowns hit in China, I did get it, after 2 weeks, mostly due to C.N.Y.

It was a fantastic logistics test, I was joking with my wife that it would never arrive.
We've actually sold a fair number of bikes by phone.
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 03-23-20, 07:44 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Some sanity.
Or at least it's consistency.
in Peoria il, bushwhacker, where my son is a wrench is deemed essential. Im glad he has income!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.