Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Ti Bike to get?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which Ti Bike to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 11:40 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah the original seller and I believe it is a support bike (replacement bike) for a road team. Perhaps in Europe. It has a #5 on the back of the seat tube.

Im already ordering a lightspeed seatpost, and getting a tune up. But I m starting to have second thoughts on this paint job lol. Iam just picky bastard. I think its unique, but I keep seeing the other Ti bikes, and just love that raw ti look. Even the brushed look that this bike was originally (correct me if Im wrong).

Honestly, the groupset works pretty well. I am surprised. The brake pads are dried up beyond belief. Chain needs to be replaced most likely. But overall bike works well. Probably will not touch the drivetrain till it falls apart. But what is a innicycle headset? Like why was that the top thing you recommended ?
Old 06-29-20, 12:01 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by oleg232000
Yeah the original seller and I believe it is a support bike (replacement bike) for a road team. Perhaps in Europe. It has a #5 on the back of the seat tube.

.What is a innicycle headset? Like why was that the top thing you recommended ?
It's a really slick headset that converts threaded forks to accept a modern threadless stem. It's a cool invention, but I think a threadless stem ruins the look of classic style bikes.

I'd leave the yellow paint alone, and enjoy the fact that very few people own a former neutral support bike.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-29-20, 12:15 PM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

So let me just understand (sorry im new to vintage road bikes etc), the 1" quill stem i have now is threaded? Why would i want to change that? Is this in the case if I want to put a modern fork on? I personally love this stem.

Yeah, in the case of the paint, I guess im just going to take care of the imperfections and leave it as is.
Old 06-29-20, 03:53 PM
oleg232000

So Surprise surprise, its not a Classic. Its a Catalyst. I emailed Litespeed, coughed up the 25$ and its a Dec 96 (97 model) Litespeed Catalyst. The last year it was made i believe. As far as I can tell, almost no difference between the Classic. Any opinions on that? Comments?

Last edited by oleg232000; 06-29-20 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 05:24 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
So let me just understand (sorry im new to vintage road bikes etc), the 1" quill stem i have now is threaded? Why would i want to change that? Is this in the case if I want to put a modern fork on? I personally love this stem.

Yeah, in the case of the paint, I guess im just going to take care of the imperfections and leave it as is.
I would absolutely leave the paint as it is - bare Ti is cool and easy to look after certainly, but your bike has a really nice paint job, made even more special if it's actually a neutral support bike. Hopefully the replacement seat post is silver alloy or Ti - it'll go great with the rest of your silver componentry
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-29-20, 05:31 PM
oleg232000

Originally Posted by Litespud
I would absolutely leave the paint as it is - bare Ti is cool and easy to look after certainly, but your bike has a really nice paint job, made even more special if it's actually a neutral support bike. Hopefully the replacement seat post is silver alloy or Ti - it'll go great with the rest of your silver componentry
Yeah I found a vintage litespeed brushed Ti seatpost. Isnt the stem and frame itself considered "brushed" instead of polished? Please correct me if im wrong
Old 06-29-20, 05:38 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Do not ******g alter that frame in any way, it is beautiful!

I 100% agree on getting a silver or Ti seatpost to match the stem or components.

Keep that quill stem, it's hot.

You made a great choice here and have a gorgeous bike.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 06-29-20, 06:00 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Just ignore the headset recommendation. It's not appropriate for this bike.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks you should keep the original paint.
Old 06-29-20, 06:10 PM
oleg232000

can anyone recommend a drop bar that will fit that stem? Not too pricey (prob aluminum). This bar is like 44cm, way to wide for me. Looking for 40-38cm
Old 06-29-20, 07:42 PM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
So Surprise surprise, its not a Classic. Its a Catalyst. I emailed Litespeed, coughed up the 25$ and its a Dec 96 (97 model) Litespeed Catalyst. The last year it was made i believe. As far as I can tell, almost no difference between the Classic. Any opinions on that? Comments?
The main difference is that the Classic has a front derailleur tab, the Catalyst has a clamp on. I couldn't tell you if the tubes or geometry are different. The carbon fork on my 96-97 Classic is a Kestrel. I replaced it after a few years with another Kestrel that was 1" threadless - but no flashy yellow paint. Upgraded stem, bars, 8-speed Ultegra to 9 speed, sealed Shimano bottom bracket.
Old 06-29-20, 07:42 PM
Litespud

Wow - was it sold to you as a Classic? IIRC, the Catalyst was a somewhat lower-end frame to the Classic, though as you say, there's actually very little difference between the two. Identical geometry, identical weight, straight seat stays, 1" head tube, butted 3/2.5 Ti tubing with a 6/4 Ti BB shell. The only obvious differences are the FD mount (Catalyst is clamp-on, Classic is braze-on) and the finish - the Catalyst has a greyish "satin" finish, while the Classic was available in brushed or brilliant polished. All things being equal, a Classic would've been preferable, because it's a "fancier" frame, but there's really no functional difference between the two. Bare brushed looks better than bare satin, IMO, but it's moot since yours has that great yellow paint job, so I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you decided to go bare (please don't), satin doesn't look bad. My first Litespeed was a satin '98 Natchez, which was a great workhorse frame, though not as nice as yours (straight-gauge 3/2.5). Check out the "My Litespeed Classic" thread - Forum member ridelikeaturtle has a splendid satin Catalyst in there

Last edited by Litespud; 06-29-20 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 07:51 PM
Litespud

can anyone recommend a drop bar that will fit that stem? Not too pricey (prob aluminum). This bar is like 44cm, way to wide for me. Looking for 40-38cm
Do you know the current bar clamp diameter? I imagine it's 26mm, but it might be worth measuring to be sure. The stem looks like a proper Litespeed Ti brushed, which is pretty fancy
Old 06-29-20, 08:16 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

Im already ordering a lightspeed seatpost, and getting a tune up. But I m starting to have second thoughts on this paint job lol. Iam just picky bastard. I think its unique, but I keep seeing the other Ti bikes, and just love that raw ti look. Even the brushed look that this bike was originally (correct me if Im wrong).

Honestly, the groupset works pretty well. I am surprised. The brake pads are dried up beyond belief. Chain needs to be replaced most likely. But overall bike works well. Probably will not touch the drivetrain till it falls apart. But what is a innicycle headset? Like why was that the top thing you recommended ?
Congratulations on the bike -- great buy, in my opinion.

I would not worry any about the fork, or change the headset to a threadless version. Carbon lasts just as long as anything else, if not longer.

The stem is reason enought to keep a threaded fork -- it's a great titanium stem, and every ti stem I've ever ridden has been very comfortable. It's probably the one component where I notice titanium's springyness and feel the most.

Swapping out the seapost for a titanium one would be a great idea, and while you're at it, an easy cheap thing to replace would be the seat post binder -- right now, since it's a neutral support bike, it has a quick release. Get a proper bolt instead.

I'd keep the paint. It's part of cycling history. There are so many brushed ti frames. A little paint is a bonus. And you don't have to worry about any chips or scuffs, which is nice.
Old 06-29-20, 09:23 PM
oleg232000

Originally Posted by Litespeedlouie
The main difference is that the Classic has a front derailleur tab, the Catalyst has a clamp on. I couldn't tell you if the tubes or geometry are different. The carbon fork on my 96-97 Classic is a Kestrel. I replaced it after a few years with another Kestrel that was 1" threadless - but no flashy yellow paint. Upgraded stem, bars, 8-speed Ultegra to 9 speed, sealed Shimano bottom bracket.
Yeah that was the only difference i noticed. The fork is a Kestrel as well and is great condition. No noticeable chips, bends, or even scratches for that matter.

Wow - was it sold to you as a Classic? IIRC, the Catalyst was a somewhat lower-end frame to the Classic, though as you say, there's actually very little difference between the two. Identical geometry, identical weight, straight seat stays, 1" head tube, butted 3/2.5 Ti tubing with a 6/4 Ti BB shell. The only obvious differences are the FD mount (Catalyst is clamp-on, Classic is braze-on) and the finish - the Catalyst has a greyish "satin" finish, while the Classic was available in brushed or brilliant polished. All things being equal, a Classic would've been preferable, because it's a "fancier" frame, but there's really no functional difference between the two. Bare brushed looks better than bare satin, IMO, but it's moot since yours has that great yellow paint job, so I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you decided to go bare (please don't), satin doesn't look bad. My first Litespeed was a satin '98 Natchez, which was a great workhorse frame, though not as nice as yours (straight-gauge 3/2.5). Check out the "My Litespeed Classic" thread - Forum member ridelikeaturtle has a splendid satin Catalyst in there
It was sold as a Classic but I dont think the seller meant to deceive me. He didnt know any better, and based on the price i paid, i think it was a great deal either way.

Do you know the current bar clamp diameter? I imagine it's 26mm, but it might be worth measuring to be sure. The stem looks like a proper Litespeed Ti brushed, which is pretty fancy
From my google searches, its a 26mm clamp. Yeah I love that Stem.

Originally Posted by ljsense
Congratulations on the bike -- great buy, in my opinion.

I would not worry any about the fork, or change the headset to a threadless version. Carbon lasts just as long as anything else, if not longer.

The stem is reason enought to keep a threaded fork -- it's a great titanium stem, and every ti stem I've ever ridden has been very comfortable. It's probably the one component where I notice titanium's springyness and feel the most.

Swapping out the seapost for a titanium one would be a great idea, and while you're at it, an easy cheap thing to replace would be the seat post binder -- right now, since it's a neutral support bike, it has a quick release. Get a proper bolt instead.

I'd keep the paint. It's part of cycling history. There are so many brushed ti frames. A little paint is a bonus. And you don't have to worry about any chips or scuffs, which is nice.
Yeah i just want to touch up the paint now and keep it as is. Anyone know the paint code for "Mavic" yellow, or where to get touch paint for that color?
I am about to purchase a seatpost, but I can choose between polished or brushed. I am figuring brushed would match best, but wanted everyones opinion?