Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Advice on 29+ replacement rim, 40-45mm internal width

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 07-11-20, 08:32 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

I dented a rim recently because I am am an idiot (hit a rock I didn’t see)

I am looking to lace up a new rim to my current hub because it’s only 6mo old and my bike has unique fork spacing

I want wide 40-45mm width (current one is 45 internal)

so far my list is:

- WTB KOM
- WTB Scraper
- Halo Vapour
- Sun Ringle Mul Fut
- Duroc 50
- Surly Rabbit Hole

Am I missing any?

It is holding air so no rush, may just wait until the Covid craziness over bike parts is over.

Old 07-11-20, 10:01 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Here are some other ideas. Call up Jones and see if they have something lying around, or another idea. Try to hammer it out or bend it back, just try not to scratch it.

Do you think your pressure was just too low? The enduro guys use foam inserts to armor against rim strikes.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-11-20 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 10:09 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Here are some other ideas. Call up Jones and see if they have something lying around, or another idea. Try to hammer it out or bend it back, just try not to scratch it.

Do you think your pressure was just too low? The enduro guys use foam inserts to armor against rim strikes.
That is a good point about the pressure but I hit that rock full on without unloading the front end. If I keep it around 11psi I can do some gnarly step ups with no problem as long as I at least attempt a manual.

I may attempt to blacksmith it straight but I am worried that it holds air now and I may mess up the bead interface. Sometimes overthinking is a problem.

Good idea calling Jeff Jones, although I am skeptical he’ll have anything in this everything bike related shortage....

FYI if I do replace I’ll keep in case I want to have a studded/tubed setup someday
Old 07-11-20, 10:56 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
If your ERD is the same as the old one you can tape the rims together and move the spokes over one at a time. If they aren’t, you will need new spokes, and now would be a good time to get double butted spokes.

I would definitely try to bend it back first. If it doesn’t work you’ve only lost a day and no money you weren’t ready to spend anyhow. In fact I’d maybe leave it alone until it proved to be a problem. Buy the rim and have it handy just in case

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-11-20 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 11:51 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
If your ERD is the same as the old one you can tape the rims together and move the spokes over one at a time. If they aren’t, you will need new spokes, and now would be a good time to get double butted spokes.

I would definitely try to bend it back first. If it doesn’t work you’ve only lost a day and no money you weren’t ready to spend anyhow. In fact I’d maybe leave it alone until it proved to be a problem. Buy the rim and have it handy just in case
good call. I am pretty sure the jones spec rims are non branded versions of the wtbs so good call on the spokes but also good call on double butted spokes, cheap way to save rotating weight.

I think I want to rotate the tires because the front now has two patches so I want it on the back. I’ll probably mess with it then. I want new rims eventually but I also don’t love dropping $$$ on stuff I don’t need