Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1961 Royce Union

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1961 Royce Union

Old 05-30-20, 11:03 AM
bikerosity57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
1961 Royce Union

I just picked this up today. I’d heard of the name before but this is the first one I’ve actually ridden. It’s obviously a Raleigh clone, but it’s better made than a Hercules, or Robinhood: it has really nice cable clips, and real forged brazed in fork drop-outs. Decent brazing in the lugs etc etc. It rides nice and smooth, but the old Wrights saddle is horrible! It’s a metal plate with vinyl covering and it hard as a rock.

Likes For bikerosity57:
Old 05-30-20, 11:06 AM
bikerosity57

Also has the much better metal fulcrum, and nicely chromed holder.
Old 05-30-20, 11:39 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Nice. Looks like a solid bike. I wonder what the story is on these. Seems like one of those paper companies where the products were all made by contractor. I remember when they sold these at Macy's, the later crappy version. A few years later, not sure when, they moved production to Japan and the quality took a serious nosedive. My brother had one that looked outwardly almost exactly like that in the 70s, but it was pretty much junk.

Huffy was a good bike once too...

Found this old thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...n-brand-2.html

Last edited by Salamandrine; 05-30-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 11:50 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

very nice, even comes with alloy brake calipers

wonder why women's pedals were fitted

perhaps they ran out o' gents on the production line...

being in Joysey puts you right close to the R. U. hq in Brooklyn

-----
Old 05-30-20, 12:43 PM
bikerosity57

The left pedal is a replacement. The right pedal I’m pretty sure is original. I just sold my old Hercules that was similar, and it had the same pedals as the right hand one.
Old 05-30-20, 12:52 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerosity57
The left pedal is a replacement. The right pedal I’m pretty sure is original. I just sold my old Hercules that was similar, and it had the same pedals as the right hand one.
-----

Thank you so much!

It was the left pedal which appeared to be a women's to my eye.

Back in the early nineties I used to communicate with a vintage bicycle enthusiast in Vineland who had a wholesale fish business. He did smoked fish.

Do you have any idea of who that might have been?

-----
Old 05-31-20, 06:31 AM
bikerosity57

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Thank you so much!

It was the left pedal which appeared to be a women's to my eye.

Back in the early nineties I used to communicate with a vintage bicycle enthusiast in Vineland who had a wholesale fish business. He did smoked fish.

Do you have any idea of who that might have been?

-----
Off hand no, but I will find out assuming he’s still live etc. I could use a local ally for classic bike parts, info, etc. I live in Millville and work in Vineland.
Likes For bikerosity57:
Old 08-01-20, 01:36 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
A few things I see that differ from the common Raleigh clones.
Your fenders have a wider center bead area, where as every Raleigh, Robin Hood, Hercules, etc. has a very narrow 8mm raised bead on the fenders. The fender pattern on your bike is more like that of an American bike like a Columbia or Rollfast.
The second detail is the non-chrome front hub. I've seen that hub before laced to Dunlop Endrick rims but not on a Raleigh clone.
around that same time Rollfast had a three speed they were selling that was made in England, it used that same hub, same wheels, and same fender profile. I had one that looked very much like your Royce Union. It had the same fork crown and dropout combo, and the same color. The fenders were also wide center bead style. The difference was that it had chrome steel calipers. Rumor had it that the Rollfast models were Royal Enfield bikes rebadged for DP Harris.

Fork dropouts on the sub brand bikes were stamped steel, as were many on some Raleigh bikes as the years went on.
The dropouts on your bike appear to be the same as earlier Raleigh branded bikes and not a sub brand, but your fork crown is the same as Robin Hood and Hercules. (Raleigh used a tubular fork crown).

My guess would be that Royce Union, from NY, put out for bids and Raleigh answered with a bike that was kind of a mixed bag of parts.
It was also just after Tube Investements buyout of Raleigh, so the mix of parts could include that many more brands, which could explain the different fender pattern from most Raleigh family bikes.

The aluminum calipers are odd, I've never seen any of the English three speeds with those, but I suppose those could very well have been changed over the years. I have seen a few Holland and Maylasia built Raleigh bikes with alloy calipers, but those were all 1970's models.

Does the seat tube 'coat of arms' tell where in England it was made?

Here's a pic of the fork dropouts on a '61 Raleigh Sports:
(This is the style that used the shoulder type axle nuts, each dropout has a recess which engages the shoulder of the nut centering the axle in a fixed location.).

Old 08-01-20, 01:55 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It looks like a Raleigh rear dropout. The serial number number should at tell us if it is Raleigh manufacture.
Old 08-01-20, 07:20 PM
bikerosity57

The coat of arms says: Je Maintaindrai which is the motto of Holland “ I will Maintain”. The bikes head sheild says Made in England. As also does the decal/painted Made in England on the top tube. The front hub is identical to ones I’ve had on Robinhoods and Phillips in the past. I have looked up Royce Unions on line and found many that are similar or identical to mine including identical alloy brake calipers. It’s a much better bike than the cheaper but solid Robinhoods and Phillips etc, but not as nice as my Raleigh Sports. They ride about the same though.
And, yes the mudguards are different than on any other Raleigh clone I’ve had, but if you look online you’ll find other RU’s with identical mudguards.
Old 08-02-20, 06:39 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
My dad bought me a Royce Union bike like this around 1961-62 for my first bike. It was kid's bike, with 24" wheels. I remember going to Western Auto to pick it up. It was green and white, and had a coaster brake. I don't have a photo, but I was always under the impression that it was american-made. I learnt to ride on that bike, so it was a very special bike, and still is, in my memory. We used to turn the bike upside down, turn the crank real hard a few times, and pour dry dirt into the rear fender to watch it fly!

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-02-20 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-21-24, 08:55 AM
Corto 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I realize this is picking up a thread from a three and a half years ago, but for the sake of (hopefully) clarifying the origins of some Royce Union-badged three speeds, I have one that is similar to the OP's, but is a drop (step-through) frame, in blue with white head tube, the caliper brakes are flat steel and unmarked, and the front hub has an oil port covered with a clip). It has the same graphics (the word obscured by wear on the OP's lower head tube would be "SAFETY").

I think mine's a '62, based on the Sturmey serial number AW-62-7 (oddly, the thumb shifter is a SunTour, but it looks like a later replacement). The frame serial number (stamped at the top of the seat tube) is 34569 (with N under it, and an S just below and to the left of the N). Is that not Raleigh? Bike has the same Raleigh style dropouts and chain ring (marked with Raleigh logo), cottered cranks lack Raleigh logo but are stamped "N". No marks on brake levers or stem. Front wheel is stamped Dunlop 26 x 1 3/8 Made in England", and rear wheel is stamped 1 3/8 R N F (what is that?) Came with the same brutal Wrights saddle.
Likes For Corto 2:
Old 03-21-24, 11:00 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
This was most likely spec'd by RU and built by Ti in the old Norman factory where they were making export bikes with stock from all the companies consolidated. That is where the American style bikes that came into the US via dept. Stores were built.
In the early 60s before they stopped, around 1963 when most went to Nottingham, they were even using JCC parts from Japan on those bikes. I have a curvey framed 62' Hercules that was built in that factory and came with JCC alum caliper brakes.
RU spec'd bikes and had them built all over the world. I've seen Denmark and Austria, Japan and England. Probably more.
Likes For macstuff:
Old 03-21-24, 11:14 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I have also seen Royce Union from Holland.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 03-25-24, 08:28 AM
Corto 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, Macstuff --

I've read elsewhere that the Norman factory closed in '61 and that Raleigh's mysterious 'N' serial numbers of 1962 might refer to Nottingham, but I don't know (I get the impression that nobody is super confident they understand Raleigh's system that year...). Anyway, it certainly does seem that the Royce Union brand was put on bikes sourced from several makers over the years, including Raleigh in the early '60s.
Old 03-25-24, 09:30 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I don't remember what year it was, but I remember that my dad had a very pretty Royce Union 3 speed in black. My best recollection is that it was similar to the one in the first post of the thread, but imo much nicer looking in black.
Old 03-26-24, 03:27 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 162 Posts
Takes me back.

My one and only "Christmas bike" was a Royce Union. This was in the '60s and the bike was a Japanese 3-speed with twist-grip shift. Similar metallic red.
Had forgotten the brand but now it all comes back. Eventually ditched the fenders (even in Seattle), kickstand, extra mass. Kept the rack though, for my tackle box.