Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Caliente All Steel

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-16-20, 06:28 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts

I recently picked up this Schwinn Caliente (for a reasonable price) on Craigslist. I was attracted to the fully lugged step through frame and, I intend to convert it to an upright handlebar city bike. But....................... I'm curious about two things about this bike. The first thing that got my attention is that this thing is all steel. No kidding. Chrome steel wheels, steel frame, stem, handlebars, brake levers. seatpost, and, chrome steel cotterless crankset. The only two things that a magnet doesn't stick on is the kickstand & the turkey levers. Wow. (I've never seen a three piece crankset that was chrome steel). The other thing I'm curious about is what year this thing was made. It's got the classic stamp on the headbadge. But, according to Schwinn numbers it could either be a 1980 or a 1990 vintage. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by ramzilla; 09-16-20 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 06:33 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Caliente was another name for a Varsity one year. Schwinn marketing maybe? Roger
Old 09-16-20, 06:37 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
It may be all steel, but it's "Guaranteed built with Lightweight High Tensile Carbon Steel Frame and Forks".....

Originally Posted by ramzilla

Old 09-16-20, 07:14 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 414 Posts
This appears to be a 1990 Caliente. The late 70's Caliente had the Front Freewheel System. I don't think yours has that.
Looks to be in pretty nice shape for steel everything.
Old 09-16-20, 07:32 PM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by daverup
This appears to be a 1990 Caliente. The late 70's Caliente had the Front Freewheel System. I don't think yours has that.
Looks to be in pretty nice shape for steel everything.
Upon close inspection, I noticed there's no wear on the brake pads. The bike appears to have never been used. I've already got a new set of inexpensive alloy wheels, tires and, a new stem & upright alloy riser handlebars for it. I can't seem to make up my mind to keep it a 6 speed drivetrain with grip shifters. Or, turn it into a 7 speed drivetrain with trigger shifters.
Old 09-16-20, 07:38 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
according to Schwinn numbers it could either be a 1980 or a 1990 vintage. Let me know what you think.
SIS indexed shifting didn't come out until 1985, and then only at the Dura-Ace level. It took several years to trickle down to the lower levels. So, I'm voting for 1990.
Old 09-16-20, 07:44 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 414 Posts
Upon close inspection, I noticed there's no wear on the brake pads. The bike appears to have never been used. I've already got a new set of inexpensive alloy wheels, tires and, a new stem & upright alloy riser handlebars for it. I can't seem to make up my mind to keep it a 6 speed drivetrain with grip shifters. Or, turn it into a 7 speed drivetrain with trigger shifters.
The alloy rims with some new brake pads will probably allow you stop when wet.. I don't think I would try that as it sits now.
Other alloy stuff will help with the weight. Those 30 year old grip shifters will probably last awhile since they are mostly new. Once they break, a shifter upgrade will be needed.
I don't know whether a 7 speed drivetrain will really be worth doing. Not much return on that upgrade.
The steel schwinns are nice cruisers.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 09-16-20, 08:04 PM
ramzilla

I went shopping online & found an amazing deal on this pair of brand new wheels. I received them yesterday and, they look good. The only thing I had to do was disassemble the loose ball hubs & properly grease them up. And, I'm also going to drill them out for schrader valves.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wheel-Rea...6-404f91d06406

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wheel-Fro...6-404f91d06406
Old 09-16-20, 08:25 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
I believe that in Schwinnland, Caliente translates roughly to “heavy a$$ bike.”
Old 09-29-20, 03:53 PM
ramzilla

It's no longer "all steel".

Here's the makeover pictures for the Schwinn Caliente. With new wheels & 25mm Panaracer tires it rolls fast. Upright alloy handlebars with 6 speed Shimano grip shifters. Kept the 6 speed freewheel, chain &, old Shimano SIS drivetrain. (The old chain showed absolutely no wear). A friend volunteered to break it in and was impressed after riding it for two days & about 30 miles. My wife doesn't want me to sell it. She wants me to give it to our daughter.

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 09-29-20, 04:37 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
It's no longer "all steel".

Here's the makeover pictures for the Schwinn Caliente. With new wheels & 25mm Panaracer tires it rolls fast. Upright alloy handlebars with 6 speed Shimano grip shifters. Kept the 6 speed freewheel, chain &, old Shimano SIS drivetrain. (The old chain showed absolutely no wear). A friend volunteered to break it in and was impressed after riding it for two days & about 30 miles. My wife doesn't want me to sell it. She wants me to give it to our daughter.

Nice! How much weight do you think it lost?
Old 10-02-20, 12:52 PM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by tricky
Nice! How much weight do you think it lost?
Now that it's all dressed up with kickstand, rear rack, water bottle cage, rear view mirror, handlebar bag &, bell. The Caliente weighs in at a svelte 31 pounds according to my very precise luggage scale. I could probably drop at least two more pounds if I ditched the chrome steel crankset but, I'll wait till it wears out first.

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 10-02-20, 02:04 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
that is a beautiful find!! The paint job is in great shape!!
Old 10-02-20, 02:25 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I like this thread. It has lots of pictures and a really nice turn around on this bike. It looks great.