Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Mesh Pocket?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ortlieb Mesh Pocket?

Old 09-13-20, 06:42 PM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Ortlieb Mesh Pocket?

I just received some Ortlieb panniers and found the add-on mesh pockets offered by Ortlieb. Looks like a great way to carry damp/wet items.

Anyone have experience with these?

Would mounting them on the back of the rear panniers make sense?

Any info appreciated.

https://www.campfirecycling.com/prod...et-p-1755.html
Old 09-13-20, 08:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have no experience with the Ortlieb add-ons.

Putting stuff in a mesh bag during the day while you ride will not make it drier, but it will not get a moldy odor which is why I do the mesh bag thing. If I have damp stuff, I have a mesh bag (non-Ortlieb) that I can strap on top of the bag that is on top of my rear panniers or on top of a front pannier. I try to get it up high to avoid some of the road dust, I find that on top of front panniers usually works well to avoid road dust.

ADDENDUM ADDED NEXT DAY.

At this link the black and yellow bag on top of my rear rack top bag is a mesh packing cube that I put damp stuff in that day.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21680325-post6.html

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-14-20 at 07:49 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-13-20, 08:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Off topic, but what I have wanted for years (and keep bugging Showers Pass for) is a pocket just like that only much smaller and on my rain jackets - to stuff wet gloves into when I go inside to shop or do a ride stop for an espresso.or hit a "gloves off" rest stop on a rainy ride I paid for. No way I want to stuff them in a jersey pocket with dry stuff. I went to the Ortleib website hoping their bag could be adopted but big enough for a helmet? On a jacket? Nah.

Ben
Old 09-14-20, 05:02 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I have one. I really only use it to stick my helmet into when I lock up at a rack. Once I put the previous days laundry into it and it rubbed on the back tire.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 09-14-20, 08:28 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Just slow, it appears that this is made for a commuting type ortlieb pannier, how would it attach to a typical ortlieb?

re drying, I've always just find having a bungee on top of rack, or tent , works best for air and sun drying damp clothes. Out of dust and exposed to sun. I'll stop at some point and flip things over.

I also make it a priority to wash my bike stuff right away and get it hung up in camp. I put a big emphasis on getting as much water as possible out of my stuff, greatly reduces drying time.

generally, it's only the padded bike shorts that can still be damp in morning, why I have two pairs.
and being on top of tent spread out will dry much faster than bundled together in a mesh bag,guaranteed.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-14-20, 08:49 AM
yves845

Bikes: Santos travelmaster2.8 ; Brompton titanium ; R&M Load speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I regularly use a pair of these : I often forget to secure the closing cords, It makes a funny noise when mingling with the rear wheel spokes.
They are not really practical, I use them to put my really dirty things, waiting for a bin available.
For sandals or anything a bit heavy it's not reliable enough
Definitely not a must buy....
Likes For yves845:
Old 09-14-20, 08:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by yves845
I regularly use a pair of these : I often forget to secure the closing cords, It makes a funny noise when mingling with the rear wheel spokes.
They are not really practical, I use them to put my really dirty things, waiting for a bin available.
For sandals or anything a bit heavy it's not reliable enough
Definitely not a must buy....
Yves, on what specific panniers do you use them, and how do they attach?
just curious, thanks
Old 09-14-20, 03:45 PM
justslow

Originally Posted by djb
Just slow, it appears that this is made for a commuting type ortlieb pannier, how would it attach to a typical ortlieb?
I don't have one yet, but it appears that they provide hardware for mounting directly to a pannier on the front or back. The mounting hardware also accepts their water bottle cage and their non-mesh pocket which makes for a nice versatile system of choices.

The mesh pocket is something like 12"h x 11"w x 8" deep. Big enough for a helmet but it folds up when not needed.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-14-20, 08:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I instead have their add-on large pocket and a flat pack water bottle cage, addition is to my Brompton-Ortlieb O bag..

... which came with the equivalent of 2 of their smaller add on pockets on the back..

seen the mesh pocket ,in the catalog, taking your helmet,, a commuter advantage..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-14-20 at 08:34 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 09-15-20, 06:44 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I don't have experience with the mesh add-ons but I have experience from 2011 with the plastic bottle holder add-ons. I lost both of them earlier in a 3,000 km ride. I was using them to hold small bottles of fuel. I don't if the mounting has improved or not but I have not bothered with them since.

Andrew
Likes For Aushiker:
Old 09-15-20, 09:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
The whole cage come off the mounts on the bag , or just the bottle fell out?

Bet toe straps, rubber bands (Old inner tube) or velcro would have helped secure the bottle..
My Flat pack bottle cage holds a small Sigg bottle , with water, close at hand in front of me ..
back side pouches are the add ons standard , small ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-15-20 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 09-16-20, 07:38 PM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I have them, but have never used them because

I would have had to put a hole in my wonderfully waterproof Ortlieb bag to use it, and I couldn't bring myself to do that.
Likes For teacherlady:
Old 09-17-20, 10:26 AM
justslow

Originally Posted by teacherlady
I would have had to put a hole in my wonderfully waterproof Ortlieb bag to use it, and I couldn't bring myself to do that.
So do want to sell it?