Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No mainstream love for steel?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-09-20, 10:15 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

Just curious, as I flip through the latest Bicycling magazine round up of "best bikes in every category". With the exception of one $11k road bike, there's not a single steel bike. There's one high end titanium Moots. Otherwise, it's all carbon or aluminum. There's so many great steel rides out there now in different price ranges, especially in the gravel category, I just find it a little baffling. Is it about steel having a bad weight rap? Of course, I know I'm talking Bicycling Mag and not The Radavist or what-have-you, but still, so many folks prefer steel I find it curious.
Likes For pbass:
Old 04-09-20, 10:25 AM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
follow the money

Magazine profits come from ad sales. How many (any?) ads were for steel bikes?
Old 04-09-20, 10:45 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have no desire to be mainstream in any case. I stopped getting Bicycling Mag years ago because they had very few articles or information anymore that pertain to my two wheeled world, or that I could find interest in. I certainly do not miss it.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-09-20, 10:48 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by grayEZrider
I expect that pretty much sums it up!
Likes For pbass:
Old 04-09-20, 10:52 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Putting hands on a decent quality, modern steel frame can be tough. Most of the steel readily found is of the cheap bike variety, or vintage. The only local builder that I was both aware of, and that didn't charge an insane fortune for a 'custom' steel frame and fork went out of business (like most of the other brick and mortar shops around). Within an easy drive of my location I have a Trek store and a place that sells Giant. With almost 99% certainty neither of those shops ever have a bike in stock, in my size. They will make you buy a bike to get it (before test ride or evaluation on a properly sized machine), and insofar as I know neither brand carries a decent steel bike.
Old 04-09-20, 11:03 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Putting hands on a decent quality, modern steel frame can be tough. Most of the steel readily found is of the cheap bike variety, or vintage. The only local builder that I was both aware of, and that didn't charge an insane fortune for a 'custom' steel frame and fork went out of business (like most of the other brick and mortar shops around). Within an easy drive of my location I have a Trek store and a place that sells Giant. With almost 99% certainty neither of those shops ever have a bike in stock, in my size. They will make you buy a bike to get it (before test ride or evaluation on a properly sized machine), and insofar as I know neither brand carries a decent steel bike.
I guess it depends on your definition of a decent quality steel frame. For example brands like All City and Surly make steel bikes that IMHO are good quality steel, affordable, and ride great (better than a similarly priced aluminum big brand bike, but then, I'm a steel guy...). They're quite popular too--I see tons of 'em out there in the wild. But as grayEZrider points out, they don't run ads in the mainstream world!
Likes For pbass:
Old 04-09-20, 11:14 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by pbass
I guess it depends on your definition of a decent quality steel frame. For example brands like All City and Surly make steel bikes that IMHO are good quality steel, affordable, and ride great (better than a similarly priced aluminum big brand bike, but then, I'm a steel guy...). They're quite popular too--I see tons of 'em out there in the wild. But as grayEZrider points out, they don't run ads in the mainstream world!
IIRC Surley used to sell bikes through one of the BBS retailers near me I cannot recall if it were Dicks or Academy but they were that super low end caliper brake mountain bike. I have read about a lot of people touring and such on them. I would call them decent quality if nothing else, in reputation. I haven't ever actually set eyes on an All City. I looked at them for buying a single speed some years ago, along with a few others.
Old 04-09-20, 11:24 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I bought my steel bike after reading an article about it in Bicycling, but that was in 1992
Likes For Pratt:
Old 04-09-20, 11:42 AM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 09-18-23 at 01:29 AM.
Likes For krecik:
Old 04-09-20, 11:46 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Waterford still makes some pretty good steel frames, probably no paid advertising in bikmag though, not that they really need it. But not really mainstream either.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 04-09-20, 12:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
Exactly!!!!!

BTW there are still steel bikes built by the Wright Bros that are way over 100 years old. In 100 years, how many of todays plastic bikes will be around. If any, I bet if you would give them a good thump with your finger they would shatter.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-09-20, 12:09 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have no desire to be mainstream in any case. I stopped getting Bicycling Mag years ago because they had very few articles or information anymore that pertain to my two wheeled world, or that I could find interest in. I certainly do not miss it.
I first started reading Bicycling in the early 80s. It was interesting and informative then. It now is a far cry from those 80s magazines with the pretty comic book and picture approach it has now.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-09-20, 12:14 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Old 04-09-20, 12:15 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Exactly!!!!!

BTW there are still steel bikes built by the Wright Bros that are way over 100 years old. In 100 years, how many of todays plastic bikes will be around. If any, I bet if you would give them a good thump with your finger they would shatter.
Walmart hi tensil will still be around
Old 04-09-20, 12:18 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I'm in my early 50s. While I prefer the styling/looks of modern cars (Tesla, etc), over I can't really say that about modern bikes. "Classic" road bikes and "Ten speeds" -- Schwinn, Raleigh, Peugeot, Fuji, Panasonic, etc. Those are what attract my attention.
Likes For elcyc:
Old 04-09-20, 12:26 PM
rydabent
Banned

The fact is there has never been a more beautiful bike than a steel lugged frame bike with down tube shifters, built in the late 80s. They were beautiful, light and clean, many with triple butted steel tubes made just for bikes.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-09-20, 12:36 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by rydabent
The fact is there has never been a more beautiful bike than a steel lugged frame bike with down tube shifters, built in the late 80s. They were beautiful, light and clean, many with triple butted steel tubes made just for bikes.
I get what you are saying, but to my eye I find stuff like Baum or Elephant to be FAR more attractive.
Old 04-09-20, 12:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
IIRC Surley used to sell bikes through one of the BBS retailers near me I cannot recall if it were Dicks or Academy but they were that super low end caliper brake mountain bike. I have read about a lot of people touring and such on them. I would call them decent quality if nothing else, in reputation. I haven't ever actually set eyes on an All City. I looked at them for buying a single speed some years ago, along with a few others.
Surly LHT in its element.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-20, 12:41 PM
pbass

I'm not necessarily talking about super retro bikes. I'm thinking more about new steel bikes that while traditionally inspired, have modern appointments like disc brakes, modern drive trains, modern geo, whatever. There's many out there that you could get for the same price range as some big brand aluminum thing with a harsh ride. But, clearly, I am biased!
Old 04-09-20, 01:04 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by pbass
I'm not necessarily talking about super retro bikes. I'm thinking more about new steel bikes that while traditionally inspired, have modern appointments like disc brakes, modern drive trains, modern geo, whatever. There's many out there that you could get for the same price range as some big brand aluminum thing with a harsh ride. But, clearly, I am biased!

We have discussed Surly and All City.
I know that Specialized (made) a steel bike very akin to the Roubaix......It doesn't seem to be on site any more, but they have one called a Sequoia.
Giant only lists Aluminum and Carbon as road bike materials.
Trek has (surprisingly) re-released the 520 as a disk model.

I am aware of a smattering of Single Speed steel bikes, but not really what we are talking about here.

I would be interested in knowing what else is out there and available.
Speaking for myself I ride between a 59 and 61. It's hard to find a bike in my size, in stock, anywhere without lucking out. As I mentioned before shops don't just ship bikes around for you to try. My experience in dealing with buy before you try bikes is a super well known cheap cost brand and has been very hit and miss as far as fitting charts. Any steel bike I would consider would certainly pass that acceptable cheap threshold.

I had personally intended on following through with a bike purchase from Snyder Cycles, a local builder, but he closed before I commissioned him.
Old 04-09-20, 01:37 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
As pointed out you won't find much in the way of steel frames from the big 3 but they are out there some reasonably priced.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...el-road-bikes/

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...gs-traditional

Rodeo Labs makes a nice one as does Niner
Likes For wsteve464:
Old 04-09-20, 01:39 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
In issue 5, 2019 Bicycling they had an article about the steel Motobecane Gran Premio. I'm sure there are others.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-elite-review/
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 04-09-20, 01:51 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,757 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
In issue 5, 2019 Bicycling they had an article about the steel Motobecane Gran Premio. I'm sure there are others.

And, it is available in orange!

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-09-20, 01:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Steel is real.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-20, 01:59 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Jicafold

Available exclusively from Bikes Direct.
Likes For Juan Foote:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.