Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Video: 70s Condor Superbe REstoration!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 12:07 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 264 Posts

Hey guys,
I'm excited about this bicycle. Turns out its pretty rare. Its very ornate and in great condition. This is part 1 of 2 on this bicycle rebuild

Thanks
John Haboush

Old 04-13-24, 12:26 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Awesome bike and I vote for leave the decal as is and go for clean/bling with patina. The two can be coupled! To me, missing decal bits are more charming and less distracting than say surface rust. The older the bike the more likely I would be to keep all decals as they are.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 04-13-24, 03:22 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Awesome bike and I vote for leave the decal as is and go for clean/bling with patina. The two can be coupled! To me, missing decal bits are more charming and less distracting than say surface rust. The older the bike the more likely I would be to keep all decals as they are.
I hear ya,
I just have to learn to leave it! LOL

John
Old 04-13-24, 03:31 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
I hear ya,
I just have to learn to leave it! LOL

John
OR, get yourself the decal but don't apply it. Then you know you can at any moment, and will be less likely to feel the need to
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 04-13-24, 04:11 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3841 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,213 Posts
-----

thank you!

great job with the video

small parts -

one drive chain which would be period, national origin and quality appropriate would be a Renold with beveled plates

these were offered in caramel and off-black finishes

front gear mech -

the mech you selected has the e-ring to retain the cage assembly on the pivot post
this is something which came in right around the time of the bicycle so if you are able to verify a definite date for the frame you could check and see if it is late enough for this front mech

the next generation earlier lacked this feature and the cage assembly tended to want to "walk" off the back of the post, although it was physically impossible for it to do so

there is a highly detailed history of the Campagnolo Record model family of front mechs here -

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ca....219403/unread

another Campag date you may wish to verify is the change in the stop plate for the R/NR shift lever set; they went from black oxide finish steel to alloy right near this time so which is correct may depend upon the frameset's specific date...

looking forward to part II

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-13-24 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spellin''
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-13-24, 10:25 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thank you!

great job with the video

small parts -

one drive chain which would be period, national origin and quality appropriate would be a Renold with beveled plates

these were offered in caramel and off-black finishes

front gear mech -

the mech you selected has the e-ring to retain the cage assembly on the pivot post
this is something which came in right around the time of the bicycle so if you are able to verify a definite date for the frame you could check and see if it is late enough for this front mech

the next generation earlier lacked this feature and the cage assembly tended to want to "walk" off the back of the post, although it was physically impossible for it to do so

there is a highly detailed history of the Campagnolo Record model family of front mechs here -

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ca....219403/unread

another Campag date you may wish to verify is the change in the stop plate for the R/NR shift lever set; they went from black oxide finish steel to alloy right near this time so which is correct may depend upon the frameset's specific date...

looking forward to part II

-----
Thanks for all the insight. You would think that I'm extremely particular over the parts. I'm actually not as concerned if the differences are minimal. Its hard to know what year this thing was built. I know the range but it does have Pat 74 rear and a in the diamond on the back of the crankset. Id be curious to know exactly what year it was made.

John
Old 04-14-24, 07:06 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
OR, get yourself the decal but don't apply it. Then you know you can at any moment, and will be less likely to feel the need to
I've done that for several bikes. I've got a drawer full of decals that may or may not ever go on the bike, but I got satisfaction knowing I have a replacement.
Likes For 76SLT: