Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hit-and-run driver gets his come-uppance

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hit-and-run driver gets his come-uppance

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 09:57 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitram612
I am hardly a vehicular cyclist, I only take the full lane in situations when there is no room to safely pass within the lane, but I am surprised by all of the bad driver apologists in this thread. Maybe he could have been a little closer to the center of the lane, but all the other drivers managed to pass him just fine. Then I realized this was moved from the roadie forum
+1.

I can't believe the crap the cyclist is getting here.

He had the absolute right to take the lane, given that if the cyclist is as far right as practical, there's not room for a car to pass in the lane and comply with the 4 foot law. And its certainly not unreasonable in those traffic conditions, with an open lane to his left.

And as for the decision to not use the sidewalk, given that the bridge is marked as a shared lane, and the speed limit is 35mph, riding in the road was not an unreasonable decision. It may even have been illegal for him to have ridden on the sidewalk.

Personally, looking at the scene, I might have considered riding slowly on the sidewalk, or if I road the bridge I would have hauled ass. However, I don't crticize the cyclist for riding where he did in a perfectly legal fashion.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-06-12, 10:04 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't like that bridge, but taking the lane and hauling ass is the best option IMO. Riding all the way to the right is inviting getting pushed into the wall by a close pass.
Old 04-06-12, 10:12 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
+1.

I can't believe the crap the cyclist is getting here.

He had the absolute right to take the lane, given that if the cyclist is as far right as practical, there's not room for a car to pass in the lane and comply with the 4 foot law. And its certainly not unreasonable in those traffic conditions, with an open lane to his left.

And as for the decision to not use the sidewalk, given that the bridge is marked as a shared lane, and the speed limit is 35mph, riding in the road was not an unreasonable decision. It may even have been illegal for him to have ridden on the sidewalk.

Personally, looking at the scene, I might have considered riding slowly on the sidewalk, or if I road the bridge I would have hauled ass. However, I don't crticize the cyclist for riding where he did in a perfectly legal fashion.
Kudos. +100

What should happen is based on this incident and the video, is that police need to start ticketing motorists who speed across the bridge. They can do so by setting up a radar speed gun on the bridge itself and then pulling over drivers after they leave the bridge.
Old 04-06-12, 10:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'd go several miles out of my way to find a better bridge. But if there wasn't one, I'd take the lane, too, and cross as quickly as possible. Er, since this came outta the 41, I'd drope the hamer and dial it up to 400 wats.
Old 04-06-12, 10:31 AM
klunkrleaguenow

Bikes: 03 GT Avalance 3.0, junk walmart Next chopper, hand made 9' long chop, tall bike, and several piles of parts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Kudos. +100

What should happen is based on this incident and the video, is that police need to start ticketing motorists who speed across the bridge. They can do so by setting up a radar speed gun on the bridge itself and then pulling over drivers after they leave the bridge.

+1 more. the cyclist breaking the law so that ignorant distracted motorist don't isnt the answer. I'd like to buy that bus driver a beer btw.
Old 04-06-12, 10:40 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And the alternative is???
Maybe death!
Old 04-06-12, 10:41 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snapperhead
If that's the case, then you should NEVER ride on the road unless you are 100% certain that there will be 0 traffic.
Come on.
Old 04-06-12, 10:44 AM
genec
genec

The thing is there are bridges like this everywhere... built primarily for motor traffic, with nothing in the design for pedestrians or cyclists. This bridge had barriers for peds, but often such bridges accommodate only motorists.
Old 04-06-12, 10:45 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
Moved from Road to A&S.
THANK YOU, Nurse Ratchet!

Old 04-06-12, 10:49 AM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I hope someone sent this video to Ray Lahood, Sec. of Transportation. If this is the best bridge for a cyclist to cross there needs to be some speed limit enforcement and bike sharrows, at the very least.
Old 04-06-12, 10:55 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WPeabody
I hope someone sent this video to Ray Lahood, Sec. of Transportation. If this is the best bridge for a cyclist to cross there needs to be some speed limit enforcement and bike sharrows, at the very least.
there are bike sharrows.
Likes For fly:yes/land:no:
Old 04-06-12, 11:15 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Despite your claims the video shows otherwise.

No less than 4 cars and a friggin bus are on the bridge while he is. In fact i thought he was goibg to get clipped by the first passing truck. Even when cars pass, its obvious it is so dangerous that its luck that the car behind has enough time to slow before killing hom.

At least during the time the vid was shot that is a horrible road for cyclists and you are asking to be hit by riding on it then.
What a perfect illustration of the motorist-first-and-only view point.

The cyclist was 100% in the right, legally and practically. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be driving or cycling.
Old 04-06-12, 11:23 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be driving or cycling.
It's the open, respectful, courteous exchange of ideas that makes A&S forum the bastion of reason and humanity that it is. Keep winning those hearts and minds!
Old 04-06-12, 11:24 AM
benjdm

Bikes: Sun EZ-Speedster SX, Volae Expedition

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At the minimum, if you are dead set on crossing that bridge with that kind of traffic (which I acknowledge may happen once in awhile, for example, if you get lost and it's the only way back, or you end up taking longer than you thought and end up getting caught in rush hour), you should exercise the judgment to either wait until the traffic is clear before booking it across to make as big a gap between you and the next car as possible, or suck up your pride and walk/roll the bike slowly on the separate MUP.
How do you know that's a MUP and not a sidewalk?
Old 04-06-12, 11:26 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
simply put, if you ride closer to the right, people will try to squeeze by and endanger you more. They need to slow down the traffic on that bridge. I don't really believe most of the people here would walk their bikes across that bridge. It's a long bridge, and there is really no other choice for crossing that river.

I think the days of making every road look like a freeway are over, but they really screwed up with the design of this bridge. It suggests that going fast is ok. It's not, and there is no reason to go fast. You get on the other side of the bridge and get to wait at traffic lights every block.
Old 04-06-12, 11:29 AM
benjdm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, for all the folks who think the driver is so evil:

Where did you want to driver to stop on that road after the clip?
How about right where he did stop (momentarily), blocking other traffic from hitting the cyclist?

No shoulder, and high odds of the driver getting himself , the cyclist, and other drivers injured by parking a car in the only open lane of a 35mph roadway, especially if he jumps out of his car and starts mucking around in the road after the clip.
He wouldn't be parking it in the only open lane. He would be stopped in the right lane.

Also, was the driver speeding?
Almost definitely. If he couldn't stop in the distance he could see - and he didn't - he was driving too fast for conditions.
Old 04-06-12, 11:36 AM
benjdm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Commodus
What a perfect illustration of the motorist-first-and-only view point.

The cyclist was 100% in the right, legally and practically. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be driving or cycling.
+1

The cyclist was a League of American Bicyclists instructor.

Last edited by benjdm; 04-06-12 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 11:53 AM
CaptainHaddock

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
this bridge connects two surface streets with low speed limits. You have to ride across a bridge somewhere and this is the best one. There is no reason to speed across the bridge, and the cars speeding across it are doing so illegally. I ride across this bridge fairly often. I can't believe the "giving us a bad name" nonsense. There is no good reason for this bridge to even be 4 lane, and it's purpose could be met with only one travel lane each way. It's not like this is taking massive traffic volumes. People are just idiots when they get behind the wheel, if there is open road they want to go fast. Why aren't the speeding reckless motorists giving motorists a bad name?
I don't disagree that the drivers who speed, are in fact giving themselves bad names, but my point was more that if the road is known to be dangerous, and if there is a viable alternative (the pedestrian walk way), why not take that instead?
Old 04-06-12, 11:59 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
there are bike sharrows.
Really? I didn't see a single sharrow in that video.
Old 04-06-12, 12:04 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
It's the open, respectful, courteous exchange of ideas that makes A&S forum the bastion of reason and humanity that it is. Keep winning those hearts and minds!
It's nothing to do with respect. There are certain laws you need to know to operate a vehicle safely, and certain skills you need to have. That's it.
Old 04-06-12, 12:07 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't really understand how this is confusing for people. I thought it was common knowledge that if you rear end somebody you're at fault automatically (excepting some situations like the vehicle in front of you not having its lights on at night).
Old 04-06-12, 12:48 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really? I didn't see a single sharrow in that video.
hmmm... you may be right. i was looking at the google maps sat. image: link and zoom. but, in the google street view, i don't see the sharrows, granted it is from the other side of the road. but, i also don't see the sharrows in the bing sat. images.
Old 04-06-12, 12:54 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
hmmm... you may be right. i was looking at the google maps sat. image: link and zoom. but, in the google street view, i don't see the sharrows, granted it is from the other side of the road. but, i also don't see the sharrows in the bing sat. images.
Yeah I looked at google too... to see if there are any suitable alternatives... it looks like this bridge IS the alternative.
Old 04-06-12, 01:20 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
Nice to see that the other car blocked the offender in from behind.
What he said!

Didn't catch that the bus driver was included in that comment.

AWESOME catch by the drivers of both the bus, and the blocker!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 04-06-12 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-06-12, 01:46 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mocolotion
Who decides they're going to hug the dashed line separating lanes? He should have been a good eight feet to his right and hugging the divider between the right lane and the foot path.
Riding far right as possible as you suggest in that situation would be suicide. A car and a cyclist CAN NOT share a lane there, there isn't room and even if there was, if the car driver misjudges and gets too close, the cyclist dies.

Far right as possible doesn't mean the cyclist has to endanger his life.

The cyclist was doing absolutely the right thing in this situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.