Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any one seen the new Trek Domane?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any one seen the new Trek Domane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 01:15 PM
Mayday328

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
I managed to see one in the flesh by chance at a Penn Cycle north of the twin cities. There is noticeable flex throughout the entire seat tube. It's really quite interesting. I did not get a chance to ride it as it was a little on the small side for me.
Old 05-01-12, 08:44 PM
Avnesq

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode one yesterday for 30 miles with a fair amount of hills trhown in. Climbs well and is very stable. Quite comfortable. I am interested in it for randonneuring so the geometry is important. It's plenty fast. Worth a look.
Old 05-01-12, 09:02 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the Domane's geometry for the first time, and WOW. It's incredibly laid back. So much I think it would handle like a touring bike. The chainstay, wheelbase, head tube angle, fork rake, reach, stack are all incredibly on the 'relaxed' side. It has a longer wheelbase, chainstay, and reach to effective TT length than any other plush bike I can think of.

The head tube length isn't the longest ever, but that's just a measurement of how far it can be adjusted to fit without compromising front-end stability. Not how it'll handle. Don't consider this one unless you want a Cadillac of a bike.
Old 05-01-12, 09:15 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The geometry for the Domaine is actually pretty darn good for a really decent all around bike. Compare it to most race bikes before the short chainstay, huge head tube craze came along. Yes, all modern race bikes have stupid huge head tubes. The LBS where I work on weekends has one in my size so I might take it for a quick spin at lunch time to see how it feels. I absolutely hate the ride of the Roubaix, so I will be interested in seeing how this rides.
Old 05-01-12, 09:19 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Seen one yesterday at a shop in Williamsburg, Va. Very nice looking, but very strange how the seat tube is mounted to the seat stays and top tube.. It's not molded together, but looks to be bolted or bonded in some way..
Old 05-02-12, 08:31 AM
Avnesq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=IcySmooth52;14169336]I looked at the Domane's geometry for the first time, and WOW. It's incredibly laid back. So much I think it would handle like a touring bike. The chainstay, wheelbase, head tube angle, fork rake, reach, stack are all incredibly on the 'relaxed' side. It has a longer wheelbase, chainstay, and reach to effective TT length than any other plush bike I can think of.

It does ride like a touring bike. In fact, it handles a lot like my Novara touring bike.
Old 05-02-12, 08:44 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I got a chance to see one up in North Atl. It is pretty neat, has this "cute" little rubber thing between the seatpost and seat stays that allow the seat tube a great deal of movement. I see cracked seat tubes in it's future.
The other aspect that I noted was that it is almost identical to the geometry of the "women's" bikes I see made by so many brands. The top tube has that same sort of sweep down from the head tube to the seat tube.
Old 05-02-12, 09:01 AM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NathanC
And are they dropping the H1, H2, H3 thing as well?
I was wondering that myself.

If they're moving overseas, all Trek will have left is their paint.
Old 05-02-12, 09:10 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Interesting concept. I think for my money, I'd go with a Volagi. No fancy isomer to wear out of deteriorate.
https://volagi.com/
Old 05-02-12, 09:41 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
[QUOTE=Avnesq;14170823]
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
I looked at the Domane's geometry for the first time, and WOW. It's incredibly laid back. So much I think it would handle like a touring bike. The chainstay, wheelbase, head tube angle, fork rake, reach, stack are all incredibly on the 'relaxed' side. It has a longer wheelbase, chainstay, and reach to effective TT length than any other plush bike I can think of.
Originally Posted by Avnesq
It does ride like a touring bike. In fact, it handles a lot like my Novara touring bike.

Looking at the video, I think that was the idea. Fabian wanted a bike that held its line as he bumped over the cobbles.

And for most folks not racing crits, a bike that likes to go straight, and is less twitchy is a good thing.

(Just don't say it's not a racing bike, then no one wants it.)
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-02-12, 03:12 PM
Miami Dave

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NathanC
And are they dropping the H1, H2, H3 thing as well?
This frame seems to be only offered in one "Fit", which is a very relaxed geomtery akin to the Roubaix, Defy, Synapse. I would however take the geometry of the one the Team riders use, which is more aggressive, over a Madone any day of the week. Eventhough Trek offers the "Team" frame its only the colors and such. The overall spec sheet indicates its the same as the 6.2. Notice the much taller headtube in the 6.2 pic.

Team:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes..._trek_edition/#

6.2:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...e_6_2_compact/#

Last edited by Miami Dave; 05-02-12 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 04:25 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those pictures look eerily identical to me.
Old 05-02-12, 04:56 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think many of you caught on to what I was saying about the geometry. Of course it's a relaxed bike, but OMG it's extremely relaxed for any bike considered a "Road Bike". It's more like a "Touring Bike".
Old 05-02-12, 08:19 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't look any more relaxed than other bikes in the category. The head tube length and ETT on the 62 are nearly identical to the same dimensions on a 61cm Roubaix or Secteur.
Old 05-02-12, 08:33 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
It doesn't look any more relaxed than other bikes in the category. The head tube length and ETT on the 62 are nearly identical to the same dimensions on a 61cm Roubaix or Secteur.
The head tube doesn't have nearly as much to do with handling than wheelbase, chianstay length, head tube angle & fork rake, and reach. All of these are longer (more relaxed) than the Roubaix/Secteur.

Head tube length compared to ETT has to do with rider position/fitting. It is more comfortable, but not smoother in handling. Specialized Tarmac has a long head tub when you compare it to other bikes in the category. Tell me it handles like a plush bike...

Last edited by IcySmooth52; 05-02-12 at 08:38 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-02-12, 08:43 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Dave
This frame seems to be only offered in one "Fit", which is a very relaxed geomtery akin to the Roubaix, Defy, Synapse. I would however take the geometry of the one the Team riders use, which is more aggressive, over a Madone any day of the week. Eventhough Trek offers the "Team" frame its only the colors and such. The overall spec sheet indicates its the same as the 6.2. Notice the much taller headtube in the 6.2 pic.

Team:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes..._trek_edition/#

6.2:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...e_6_2_compact/#
there's some kind of anomaly in the pictures, for sure, but I have no trouble believing that Cancellera rode a 58cm bike with this exact geometry. a 19.5cm HT on a 58cm is nowhere near class-leading.

however, I did note that the eTT and reach are pretty short.
Old 05-03-12, 09:34 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just tested a Madone and a Domane. I liked the Madone much better for me. In fact the Madone had the Di2. Didn't wow me like I wanted so I won't spend that 1400 bucks to get it.
Old 05-03-12, 10:09 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I just watched the video.

Can you say, "PROFLEX"?

Next you'll be able to buy 'adjuster kits' that are specific to the rider's weight.