Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

First Metric Century Completed

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 10:35 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts

Yesterday I rode in the inaugural Big Ring Century - Metric Century ride. It benefited World Vision.

Here is the route:
https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/64833248

Here is my fouled up Garmin map: (My Garmin Forerunner 305 once again cut off a portion of the start of my ride on the map. Me thinks it can't handle long rides)...
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/192007318

Here I am at the start:

Fellow riders at start:

The ride started off pretty well and I was pleasantly surprised by how well the riders did in a large group (and that includes me). I got funneled to the back of the riders fairly quickly but that was ok for me as it wasn't a race and I was focused on FINISHING. We got to a park and hopped on to a bike trail early in the ride...about 5.5 miles in. My legs and lungs were just NOT up to that hill. I got off the bike and walked my bike up the hill and that pretty much really shuffled me to the back and alone.

The course was mostly well marked but there was a point that I stayed on the bike trail when I was to have exited and gotten back on the street. There were no other riders near me to follow so when I missed the arrow/signage...I went a bit off course. I am pedaling along and on the road to my right, I see riders in the ride jersey on the road in the bike lane....so I got off the bike and walked it down the embankment between the bike trail and the road and rejoined the course. Ended up riding with a couple folks for a bit as we approached the back bay area.

Here are two of the women in that group ahead of me on the back bay road:

Got to the first pit stop/water/snack station at the 26 mile mark on SART at a park and the majority of riders had already blown thru and so they were nearly out of water and snacks. If I had one critique it would be that if you are going to have a pit stop, that you make sure it is overstocked and to have PORTA-POTTIES there! I was needing to use the restroom and there was not one to be had at the park they set up the pit stop at and they did not have porta-potties.

So I continued on my own up SART and eventually came upon a park that was having its' restrooms redone and there were two porta-potties there. One of them was unspeakably disgusting and so I had to wait for the other one for quite some time. But at least I was able to finally use the restroom and reapply chamois cream to the chamois on my bibs. I forgot to pack my old bike shorts in case the bib shorts became uncomfortable and I have to say that they were a bit annoying in that area but I survived.

Eventually came upon Angels Stadium (Anaheim Angels...I refuse to call them the LA Angels of Anaheim since they aren't even in LA County) and the Honda Center (Anaheim Ducks):

Exited SART at Lincoln and headed toward Nohl Rancho Road, Meats Ave and Via Escola which were one serious hill after another. I got off and WALKED my bike up each hill. I am not in shape for these and I wasn't the only rider walking my bike up. These hills started at the 40 mile mark basically. My granny gear was not granny enough. I also walked up a portion of Santiago Canyon road.

From the end of Via Escola to the end of the ride I pretty much was riding absolutely ALONE. I really wished I had at least one of my cycling group along on the ride with me so I was not riding alone so much. After the last pit stop on Nohl Ranch Road....to the end 20 miles later...I rode solo. It would have made the ride a bit more enjoyable if I had someone to talk to as the miles went by.

All in all tho, was a good experience and I was not the only one who had trouble with the hills so that made me feel a bit better about my failure to ride them.
Old 06-24-12, 11:26 AM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be very happy with that. You did it, and just a week ago you were wondering if you could.

I can say it gets easier.

Good for you!
Old 06-24-12, 12:55 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 06-24-12, 02:41 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Congratulations on the ride! The porta pottie situation really stinks. My big issue on long rides is finding a place to pee. Last week I had to duck into a graveyard and pee behind one of the monuments. The two supported rides I have done went out of there way to have many, many porta potties available. And lots of food. And good signage.
Old 06-24-12, 06:30 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Riding solo also sucked as I was really taking a chance alone at that park using the porta potty with no one to watch my bike....
Old 06-24-12, 06:41 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, nice long ride, nic job!

One question though. Back in your Athena Journey so far thread, you mentioned the 4.3 % grade on Knohl, was I wrong about the steep sections?

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
According to the climb details this climb is an average of 4.3% grade. Either way it looks pretty tough. I plan on doing it tho.

Do you have a course on Garmin for GMR? I mapped one out using Garmin Connect.

https://connect.garmin.com/course/1077862
Old 06-24-12, 07:07 PM
MojojoM

Bikes: 1985 Raliegh Touring 18 - 1990 somethingl Cadex - I own another bike, but it has a motor --> 2007 Harley Ultra Classic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats. It sounds like you did great to me. Keep on keeping on and you'll get where you want to be.

I rode my first 50 miler (in many years) yesterday. I started riding again about 4 months ago. Started out at 259lbs and made it to 226lbs yesterday.

I applaud you and your determination.
Old 06-24-12, 07:23 PM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good Job!!!Two Thumbs up!!!
Old 06-24-12, 09:09 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Wow, nice long ride, nic job!

One question though. Back in your Athena Journey so far thread, you mentioned the 4.3 % grade on Knohl, was I wrong about the steep sections?
You were more than right about the huge hills. I had to walk my bike up them...too steep...too long.
Old 06-24-12, 09:25 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Good job! Fellow 49er.
Old 06-24-12, 09:34 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Good job! Fellow 49er.
Thanks! And Go Beach!
Old 06-24-12, 10:36 PM
CJ C

Bikes: Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
awesome!!! now that you did it what is your next goal?
Old 06-24-12, 10:44 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work! Keep it up. I know sometimes after a big "event" type ride I'm tempted to hang the bike up for a while. Try to avoid doing that!
Old 06-24-12, 10:59 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by CJ C
awesome!!! now that you did it what is your next goal?
I am signed up for a 36 mile event on July 15 and for the 100 mile bay to bay ride for MS in October (tho still need to raise $300 for that ride and I may be changing jobs which could alter my ability to do a two day event)

Originally Posted by Big Pete 1982
Nice work! Keep it up. I know sometimes after a big "event" type ride I'm tempted to hang the bike up for a while. Try to avoid doing that!
Today was a "rest" day. No chance of hanging the bike up. I am co-leader of my women's cycling group and am leading a few club rides between now and the ride on the 15th.
Old 06-24-12, 11:06 PM
wa_phil

Bikes: 2012 Specialized CrossTrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome ride! Congrats!
Old 06-24-12, 11:18 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You were more than right about the huge hills. I had to walk my bike up them...too steep...too long.
You can do 'em! A few GMR rides with me and Gina, those hills will be a piece of cake.

Seriously, our buddy Alyce had a problem doing similar hills in the same area. She did GMR with us then went back only to find they were't as bad as she thought. GMR , not too steep but long, helps build up the endurance and hill work without dying, perfect training ground.
Old 06-24-12, 11:37 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Bravo Beach! Take hills on your own pace, someday you'll be spinning up them. You went the distance and that's all that matters. By any non-motorized method that is a long way.
Old 06-25-12, 12:31 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Nice job! You knew it would be tough but you did it anyway. Now you know to build some hills in to your routine rides - there are enough of the dadgum things around here.

As for GMR, I'd suggest a cool day to tackle that. I was dying Saturday when i did it. My garmin said it was 98.5. Took me 10 minutes longer to get up than it did last time, purely because of the heat.
Old 06-25-12, 12:42 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

My cycling group has a monthly Palos Verdes Loop Ride but this months ride was the day of the Metric (this past Saturday)....

So I plan on working more hills into my routine. Possibly my 50 mile ride the Sunday before ffected my legs more than I anticipated. Of course, 5 miles or so into the metric we hit a rather decent hill and I started to die on it and had to walk. At that point, I knew that I was not going to be able to ride up the hills that Mr.Beanz warned me about.

I do feel a sense of accomplishment as I did the whole ride. No mechanical issues. No flats and yes I walked up the hills but I made it.

Considering was on an event I got shuffed to the back early and was pretty much riding solo, and rode pretty much completely by myself from about the 8 mile mark...I had only myself to keep myself going. So am proud that I was able to suck it up and pedal on.
Old 06-25-12, 01:40 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
as you should be!!!
Old 06-25-12, 01:50 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
I am signed up for a 36 mile event on July 15 and for the 100 mile bay to bay ride for MS in October (tho still need to raise $300 for that ride and I may be changing jobs which could alter my ability to do a two day event)

Today was a "rest" day. No chance of hanging the bike up. I am co-leader of my women's cycling group and am leading a few club rides between now and the ride on the 15th.
Good to see you've signed on for other rides. Goals are good.
Old 06-25-12, 01:55 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Good to see you've signed on for other rides. Goals are good.
I've been signed up for the event next month and the MS ride since early March. I am totally someone who needs specific things to aim for. In early March I signed up for the Tour of Long Beach (5/5) as well....

Right now I don't have any events set up for August or September but that is OK as like I said, I am a leader in my cycling group and that also helps to keep me on task. Plus late September I have a wedding to go to. AND I might be changing jobs soon (**crossing fingers**) and so am not sure what my schedule will allow between August and the new year.
Old 06-25-12, 02:20 PM
Brando_T.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats to you. Next one will be easier
Old 06-26-12, 03:43 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Got pictures of myself taken by event staff. I look like the Michellin Woman.

This is me at the start with John (a member of our armed forces)

Here I am on the Back Bay Road...

Here I am at the finish:

Obviously I still have a ways to go with my weight loss goals and I am frightened to think what I looked like at the start of my journey (27 lbs heavier) while riding my bike....EEEK!
Old 06-26-12, 05:00 PM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job on the ride! And really do any of us look the way we would like to in spandex? I think you look alot better than you would in sweat pants sitting on a couch eating cheetos. Keep up the awesome work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.