Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013 Kona Jake and Rove

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013 Kona Jake and Rove

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 07:46 PM
Big Lebowski

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 Kona Jake and Rove

I really like the look of a couple of the new 2013 Kona's

The Jake (aluminum) @ $1,149

The Rove (cro-mo steel) @ $1,649

I ride a mix of MUP's and road, so I think either one of these would be ideal. Too bad my Kona LBS has no intention of ordering any of these anytime soon. They said they'd be happy to order one for me, but I'd have to commit to whatever I have them order. I know that others buy bikes sight unseen, but I just don't think I am that brave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013_kona_jake.jpg (64.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg
2013_kona_rove.jpg (68.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-07-12, 10:33 PM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah all the LBSs in my area are pissed off @ Kona since they went direct.
Old 08-08-12, 03:40 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I plan on test riding both of these the first chance I get. There's a great shop around here with tight Kona ties, so I imagine I'll be able to try them both. Either way, my 2008 Jake will likely be gathering dust or visiting craigslist soon.
Old 08-08-12, 05:59 PM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I plan on test riding both of these the first chance I get. There's a great shop around here with tight Kona ties, so I imagine I'll be able to try them both. Either way, my 2008 Jake will likely be gathering dust or visiting craigslist soon.
If that 08 Jake is a 58cm or similar please let me know before you CL it. I am in Milwaukie and may be interested depending on price.
Old 08-08-12, 08:14 PM
Andy_K 

Sorry, it's a 52.
Old 08-10-12, 11:00 AM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, it's a 52.
Aside from cutting myself off at the shins and forearms that probably won't work. Thanks anyways though.
Old 08-10-12, 01:38 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The Rove looks like a nice bike. Pretty much everything I would want in a commuter bike. Is it named after a certain political operative?
Old 08-10-12, 10:16 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by E.S.
Yeah all the LBSs in my area are pissed off @ Kona since they went direct.
What does this mean?
Old 08-10-12, 10:23 PM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was hunting for a bike, I called a bunch of local LBSs and asked about their Kona bikes. Several people told me that they no longer carried Kona because they had gone direct. Apparently the shops think that it screwed them over.
Old 08-16-12, 08:55 AM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why is the Rove so much more expensive than the Jake? It's about the same price as JTS. How do the components on these three bikes compare? Looks like Apex (Rove) versus Tiagra (Jake), but I can't tell much about the wheels and the quality of the brakes.
Old 08-16-12, 09:07 AM
Big Lebowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 Kona Jake and Rove

The Rove is Cro-Mo steel, Hayes brakes and all that fancy SRAM. My LBS has the 2013 Jake in my size, but they still need to assemble it. I'll try to take a pic or two once they get it together.
Old 08-16-12, 09:49 AM
Andy_K 

I'm also waiting for a Jake to be assembled. Possibly today.

I was considering the Rove, but I can't justify the price difference. I've heard people claim Apex is on par with 105, but I really prefer Shimano. The brakes on the Rove look nicer, but I've got BB7's in the garage.
Old 08-16-12, 10:18 AM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting.

Are the brakes and wheels on the Rove better than those on the Jake?

I also like Shimano stuff (have never tried SRAM) and it seems surprising that going from Tiagra (Jake) to Apex (Rove) would cost $500 more.

Anyone know the weight of a stock Jake, JTS, and Rove?

Shouldn't the Rove frame (steel) be the same price or cheaper than the Jake's fancy aluminum frame?
Old 08-16-12, 01:50 PM
Andy_K 

I can't find anything about the wheels on either bike, aside from what Kona says about them. The Rove has a full Formula set. The Jake has Formula hubs with Alex "Black Dragon" rims. The Black Dragons look semi-deep section (~25mm, maybe), which probably means they'll be heavy but tough. I wouldn't expect either set of wheels to be anything special.

I do think the Jake frame looks nicer. Steel zealots will say that any steel frame is better than any aluminum frame, but the Jake frame has some nice features. I would definitely expect the Rove frame to be cheaper to produce. The geometry is fairly different, so that comes down to preference.

The Rove brakes are almost certainly better. The tires are the same make, so that's a wash. The Rove has a slightly nicer saddle, I guess (Comp vs. Sport). The Rove does have a Rival rear derailleur, but most it seems to come down to a marketing decision to price the Rove higher.

I don't think it's coincidence that the Rove is priced the same as the Apex-equipped Salsa Vaya 2. The nearest equivalent I can find to the Jake is the Jamis Bosanova, which is at $1275. I think the Jake is just a really good deal.
Old 08-16-12, 03:11 PM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Andy- that's very helpful.

What do you think about the geometry differences between the Jake and the Rove? I can see the numbers, but I don't know what they mean. Is the Rove essentially more relaxed and the Jake more aggressive, or is there more to it than that? How can I decide which bike is better for me?
Old 08-16-12, 07:18 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by E.S.
When I was hunting for a bike, I called a bunch of local LBSs and asked about their Kona bikes. Several people told me that they no longer carried Kona because they had gone direct. Apparently the shops think that it screwed them over.
I think he meant what does "gone direct" mean? I would like to know that as well.
Old 08-16-12, 07:57 PM
Big Lebowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROJA
Thanks Andy- that's very helpful.

What do you think about the geometry differences between the Jake and the Rove? I can see the numbers, but I don't know what they mean. Is the Rove essentially more relaxed and the Jake more aggressive, or is there more to it than that? How can I decide which bike is better for me?
Before anyone else says it, a test ride will be the best answer. A test ride will be tough, though, since Kona's are not always widely available and both of these are new models.

UPDATE: I stopped by my LBS in KC this week and they are getting 2013's. In fact, they have a 2013 Jake in my size, 53 cm. I saw it sitting in a box on the floor. I asked the main guy there and he said, "yeah, I just need to put these bikes together.", so I'll try to post a pic once he gets that done.
Old 08-16-12, 09:15 PM
Andy_K 

Here's what the Jake looks like on my back deck!

Old 08-16-12, 09:22 PM
Andy_K 

Basically, yeah, the Rove is more upright/relaxed. However, the Jake isn't particularly agressive. For instance, it's significantly more upright than a Cross Check before you add the spacers and sloping stem to the Cross Check.

I couldn't bring myself to wait to test ride the Rove, mostly because the geometry of a 53cm new Jake is nearly identical to the geometry of my 54cm 2008 Major Jake. But really I wouldn't expect a lot of difference between the Jake and the Rove. In a 53cm, for instance, the stack height (vertical difference between the bottom bracket height and the top of the top tube) is only about an inch more on the rove, and the reach (horizontal difference between the bottom bracket height and the top of the top tube) is less than 1cm shorter on the Rove.
Old 08-17-12, 11:19 AM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Andy! Great looking bike! So did you just buy a 2013 or is that an older one? That picture is very helpful because it shows that there is only a tiny drop from the saddle to the bars. On Kona's website, the drop looks a lot more drastic, which is no good for me. Is yours stock?
Old 08-17-12, 12:00 PM
Andy_K 

Thanks Andy! Great looking bike! So did you just buy a 2013 or is that an older one? That picture is very helpful because it shows that there is only a tiny drop from the saddle to the bars. On Kona's website, the drop looks a lot more drastic, which is no good for me. Is yours stock?
Yes, this is a 2013. Within hours of the shop finishing assembly, I was wheeling it out the door. As pictured it is completely stock except for the handlebar mirror. I hadn't even taken the reflectors off yet.

The ridiculous drop from seat to bars is a style thing, I think. If you visit the road forum here and read through the "Hot 'R Not" thread, you'll see that those guys love the big drop. That's also the reason you see bikes pictured in the biggest gear and with the cranks aligned a certain way. (I did make that concession.)

Some really tall guys with long arms and legs do ride their bikes like that. Pro CX racer Ryan Trebon, for instance, has an outrageous seat to bar drop. Mine's a 53 and I'm 5'9" so I don't need to do that.
Old 08-17-12, 12:05 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Yes, this is a 2013. Within hours of the shop finishing assembly, I was wheeling it out the door. As pictured it is completely stock except for the handlebar mirror. I hadn't even taken the reflectors off yet.
...or the dork disc...

The ridiculous drop from seat to bars is a style thing, I think. If you visit the road forum here and read through the "Hot 'R Not" thread, you'll see that those guys love the big drop. That's also the reason you see bikes pictured in the biggest gear and with the cranks aligned a certain way. (I did make that concession.)
You even got the valve stems right!

Nice bike. I'm not ready to give up my JTS yet, but I'm slightly envious!
Old 08-17-12, 12:33 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by groovestew
...or the dork disc...
Somebody else setup the rear derailleur, so I'm leaving the dork disc until I get around to checking it out myself.

Originally Posted by groovestew
You even got the valve stems right!
The front wheel is a little over-rotated.
Old 08-17-12, 01:00 PM
mtb123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That picture is very helpful because it shows that there is only a tiny drop from the saddle to the bars. On Kona's website, the drop looks a lot more drastic, which is no good for me. Is yours stock?
The photo on the Kona website shows the bike with the stem angled towards the ground. The photo above has the stem flipped over and angled towards the sky.
Old 08-17-12, 01:24 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb123
The photo on the Kona website shows the bike with the stem angled towards the ground. The photo above has the stem flipped over and angled towards the sky.
If this was the roadie forum, someone would have already posted the comment, "flip it".

But this is the commuting forum.

I'd totally flip it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.