Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is this the coldest winter of your lifetime?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is this the coldest winter of your lifetime?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 12:23 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I lived through the Blizzard of 77 in Buffalo. It was already the coldest and one of the snowiest winters on record there, with temps 10 degrees below the normal frigid Buffalo winter when the blizzard came due in large part to Lake Erie freezing over 2 months early. Nothing has ever felt so cold since, certainly not our single digit temps above zero here in NYC this year.
Old 02-01-14, 01:44 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here in ole KiNtucK they say it is the most brutal in a long time. I've commuted year 'round in PA and Vermont, and what the KY people call harsh, wouldn't rate on the 'harsh' scale compared to the upper northeastern part of the country. Regardless, I don't mind the cold, but the inability to deal with the snow that eventually turns to hardpack ice here in KY, is very frustrating . Also, the stuff that mixes in with the cinders and salt always means more flats, no matter what kind of tires you have. Not fun
Old 02-01-14, 08:23 PM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 47, and the coldest winter I recall was back in the 80's. When Debbie Harry ruled the pop charts. Anyway, it was like 20 below for two weeks straight.

This winter isn't fun though by any means. Have been wrenching on my bikes, looking forward to warmer days- just to maintain a semblance of sanity.
Old 02-01-14, 08:31 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in michigan we had more snowfall in January than any January in history, but I could remember sub 0 degree cold weather for a longer stretch, But we had one day that was 17 below zero it broke the record for that date by nine degrees.
Old 02-02-14, 08:45 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
The Jet Stream has gone bonkers. Western North America is warmer than normal while the central and eastern parts are colder than normal.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...rn-to/22483425
Old 02-02-14, 09:07 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I've lived in the NYC area for about 25 years now;
it does seem that this winter has been the coldest
and snowiest(is that a word?). Still try to squeeze
in a ride when I can.

14 Fahrenheit = minus 10 Celsius by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 02-02-14, 09:09 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
It has been rather balmy here this winter...
Old 02-02-14, 10:44 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Seems colder here this year for sure, but that's probably because the past few years have seen very mild winters compared to what is 'average'.

The conditions here haven't been all that bad, but the weather pattern has tended towards extremes that come in bunches - we had no winter weather to speak of until a week of record-setting cold in early December, then it was mostly nice again until a snowy week in January, then we had two weeks that included some Spring-like warmth, followed by a long block of days with cold and snow (supposed to stay very cold, well below our averages, with occasional snow for the entire week ahead).
Old 02-02-14, 11:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Denver will seem even colder when the Broncos fly Home..
Old 02-02-14, 11:37 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
It got up to 56 today. Went out in a t-shirt, was glorious.

No riding today - the SO likes to hold hands when we walk places. Must invest in a tandem.

M.
Old 02-03-14, 11:22 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I spent the first 28 years of my life in New England but spent the past 8 years in Los Angeles so no, it's not the coldest winter of my life. I think the worst of my life was the last winter I spent in New England, hence the reason I ended up in LA. But this is the coldest winter in LA since I have lived here. So much for global warming. Where's Al Gore now?
Old 02-03-14, 11:38 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
So much for global warming. Where's Al Gore now?
That's...not how it works.

M.
Old 02-03-14, 02:46 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I spent the first 28 years of my life in New England but spent the past 8 years in Los Angeles so no, it's not the coldest winter of my life. I think the worst of my life was the last winter I spent in New England, hence the reason I ended up in LA. But this is the coldest winter in LA since I have lived here. So much for global warming. Where's Al Gore now?
The point isn't that we got a broad, deep cold snap, it's that it happens a lot less than it used to. Historically, the cold snaps like the "polar vortex" we had a few weeks ago happened on average every four years. There were a dozen such events in the 70s and 80s, two in the 90s. Then it didn't happen again for 17 years, so we're just not used to them anymore, making the last even seem remarkable. Global warming involves broadly rising average temperatures; it has nothing to with the weather any given day or week. Climate change also means disrupted weather patterns. While the continental United States faced unusual cold, arctic regions experienced record warmth, which is tremendously disruptive there. Regions around the world are getting weather extremes they're not used to. The polar vortex sliding south like it did may in fact be a result of climate change.

But then, why am I trying to reason with a climate change denier? I might as well argue with a creationist.

To answer the OP, nope, this wasn't the coldest. The coldest daytime temp I can remember in the NYC region is -2F. I'm a bit shy of 50, and winters of were once definitely colder, and snowier. Five school snow days a year were normal, and they often worried about calling too many, and having to extend the school year. Now they happen hardly at all.
Old 02-03-14, 03:16 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
This is what drives me most nuts about the whole topic.

1. Science is never settled and good scientist are always skeptical. The reason science has a history of breakthroughs is because the science is presumed "settled" until it's proven that it's not hence the "breakthrough." Anytime I hear anyone tell me science is "settled" I want to roll my eyes.

2. Cold weather or trends prove global warming. Hot weather or trends are used to prove global warming. Changing climate is used to prove global warming despite the fact that it's been changing forever. And, therefore, heating is presumed.

3. Anyone that is skeptical (see #1 ) is a "denier" and can and/or should be called names.

I just heard on the news today that this was the 17th coldest winter for us here. And I've been through much colder ones. I've also had much colder temperatures but I found this a refreshing swing back to what I remember from a few years ago since I love winter as much as I love the summer. What's definitely unique about this winter is the amount of snow that we've been getting along with the cold. Usually it doesn't work that way for us. Anyhow, the skiing has been terrific.

J.
Old 02-03-14, 03:42 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
So much for global warming. Where's Al Gore now?
He's moved on and stays busy. He's working on a follow on to the internet.
Old 02-03-14, 03:52 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Not by a long shot. Growing up in New England in the late 1950s and early 1960s, subzero temperatures were common. I can recall one -20 day quite well. This winter is pitiful by historic standards and only impressive when compared with recent ones. For example, it was common to go skiing in the East during Thanksgiving vacation during 1961-1965.

Paul
Old 02-03-14, 04:24 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I just looked up Memphis weather statistics on weather-warehouse.com.

I was born in 1980. It looks like January 2014 had the 3rd coldest recorded temperature in my lifetime of 5°F. 1982 recorded a temperature of 0°F and then in 1985 there was a day that got down to -4°F.

The average low of 24.1°F is in fact the lowest average for the month in my entire lifetime. The mean temperature of 35.5 is the 2nd coldest after 1985's mean of 32.4 (the year of the -4 low).

Oddly enough, snowfall for this January was 0.00. In 1983 we got over 7", and in 1985 over 12". 1988 got 8.2" which is the one I remember from old home videos. 2011 we got over 7.5". February 1994 we got a whopping 15 inches total, which is the month of the famed "Ice Storm '94" that did hundreds of millions (if not billions) of dollars of damage to Memphis and surrounding areas, and left many thousands of people without power for WEEKS on end. It was a royal mess to say the least.
Old 02-03-14, 06:54 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
This is what drives me most nuts about the whole topic.

1. Science is never settled and good scientist are always skeptical. The reason science has a history of breakthroughs is because the science is presumed "settled" until it's proven that it's not hence the "breakthrough." Anytime I hear anyone tell me science is "settled" I want to roll my eyes.

2. Cold weather or trends prove global warming. Hot weather or trends are used to prove global warming. Changing climate is used to prove global warming despite the fact that it's been changing forever. And, therefore, heating is presumed.

3. Anyone that is skeptical (see #1 ) is a "denier" and can and/or should be called names.

I just heard on the news today that this was the 17th coldest winter for us here. And I've been through much colder ones. I've also had much colder temperatures but I found this a refreshing swing back to what I remember from a few years ago since I love winter as much as I love the summer. What's definitely unique about this winter is the amount of snow that we've been getting along with the cold. Usually it doesn't work that way for us. Anyhow, the skiing has been terrific.

J.

I'm not equipped to assert that there isn't AGW, but I would be very interested to see a controlled real world experiment, in a relevant timespan, say of decades, at least; that confirms the accuracy of the models used to predict AGW.
Old 02-03-14, 07:16 PM
ursle
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Not by a long shot. Growing up in New England in the late 1950s and early 1960s, subzero temperatures were common. I can recall one -20 day quite well. This winter is pitiful by historic standards and only impressive when compared with recent ones. For example, it was common to go skiing in the East during Thanksgiving vacation during 1961-1965.

Paul
ah, yes, living in nh-vt for the last 30 years, we used to have 5 days of below 25 below, winters, and 5 days of above 100degree summers. Last 10 years, 10 below, not, 95+ summers hardly, and where did the big storms go, 37-45" of snow in 24 hours, winters have been mild.
25 below with a 40mph wind, that's a problem.
Grew up in CNY, lake effect, wind, cold, comes in cycles, hopefully
Old 02-04-14, 12:56 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool

I'm not equipped to assert that there isn't AGW, but I would be very interested to see a controlled real world experiment, in a relevant timespan, say of decades, at least; that confirms the accuracy of the models used to predict AGW.
exactly. if the models are not accurate then it's likely the problem is not understood.

Look at this way, if there is AGW, that may not be a bad thing. Here in Minnesota it would definitely lengthen our riding season and cut down on the subzero riding days. If you worry about global warming, this winter is a hint at what global cooling would bring. As much as I like winter, that would be way worse. In any case, it's probably not smart to go around assigning tags to people.

J.
Old 02-04-14, 07:37 PM
americanlt2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lived in Chicago for 30+ years and this is just a brutal winter. In the single digits and with the wind chill I just cannot ride my bike. The potholes in Chicago this year seem to be really bad (thanks Rahm Emmanual) and are an added obstacle to biking.
Old 02-04-14, 08:12 PM
JCNeumann

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
This winter is a PIA for the wild temperature swings. But...not the coldest.

Coldest I can remember was 93-94 in Boston, in particularly January. Below zero for about a month with nasty snow and wind chills.

This year for Chicago must be close, though. I helped a colleague walk through setting up a block heater for his car - he's never had to do that before..

in terms of pure cold, hard to beat Finland and Sweden. I played hockey there for a bit, and I don't remember the exact temps, but you could drive a car on most ponds. The air literally felt blue in December.
Old 02-04-14, 08:31 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
P*****s, you are all P*****s... I can remember working in -45*C to - 50*C for months, without a day off, 12 Hr. days, 7 days a week...
Old 02-04-14, 08:51 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
January of Grade 1. No wind chill back in the day.
deg f
[TABLE="width: 132"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/3/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-29.9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/4/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-26.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/5/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-42.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/6/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-27.9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/8/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-27.9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/16/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-31.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/17/1959[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/18/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-20.9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/22/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-23.1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/23/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-24.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/24/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-22.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/25/1959[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-22.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/28/1959[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/29/1959[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/30/1959[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1/31/1959[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Anything above -20 was removed.

Last edited by asmac; 02-04-14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-11-14, 02:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
re: "Is this the coldest winter of your lifetime?"

don't think so ... I now quality as an old-fart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.