Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Timing of rain and commutes

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-08-16, 05:32 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Is it just my imagination, or do rain events have an uncanny tendency to hit right during commute times? I notice this all the time, but perhaps it's just coincidence or selective observations.

I try to leave home in the mornings about 6:30 am and work about 5 pm. We rarely have days when it rains all day, and it usually occurs in bands of rain lasting 30 minutes to several hours. However, more often than not, these bands of showers seem to hit right during commute times. Today, for instance, it was sunny to partly cloudy all day but showers rolled in right about 5-6 pm. Summer thunderstorms are famous for doing this but it's the middle of winter now. It is very common for us to have early morning showers from 5-7 am, and then it clears up for the rest of the day.
Old 02-08-16, 05:52 PM
Rock Head

Bikes: Sette Reken (commuter), KHS 204 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the both of us living in North Carolina, we are familiar with the group of dark clouds that start searching for commuters at the end of the work day during the summer; living out on the coast seems to add the equation. However, I agree, this winter has been unusually wet; the storm you got today is part of a massive cell of high pressure that is going to keep us cold for a while. As far as timing issue goes, I'll back you up on that one too; thank goodness my ride is only 30 minutes. I usually check the radar before I take off to see how soaked I am going to get.
Old 02-08-16, 06:02 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rain is not a big issue here in SoCal, but one phenomenon I could live without is the Sundowner winds.

Although usually associated with Santa Barbara, we get them here in West L.A. as well.

As the sun drops behind the mountains the air up there cools off and goes rushing down the slopes (and into my face!).

So annoying to see it nice and calm all day, and then these >20 mph gusts kick up just as I am getting ready to leave...
Old 02-08-16, 06:09 PM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember one day in particular. It had misted on and off all day. I go out and thro my leg over the bike and... the sky just opened up. It poured that entire ride. I get to the building and.... the rain stops. I go to work. It's blustery and there are a few rain drops but nothing huge till quitting time.

I rode home in a very active thunder storm.

That day... I will never forget it.
Old 02-08-16, 07:55 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsrevenge

I rode home in a very active thunder storm.

That day... I will never forget it.
I only have two conditions when I won't ride: ice on the roads and active lightening. I'll bet that was a memorable ride!
Old 02-08-16, 08:57 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, crappy weather tends to hit during the mornin' an' evenin, commutes. It's one of those given fact kind of things.
Old 02-08-16, 09:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Sudden weather changes tend to occur with sunup and sunset due to rapid warming/cooling. This coincides with typical commutes.

I used to carry a lightweight rain parka that I used infrequently in Southern California, but often in the Wash DC area, especially springtime and summer afternoons.

One of my regular rural exercise ride routes heads directly east and west, with few wind breaks. On late afternoon rides it's pretty common for the wind to be in my face both directions, as it suddenly shifts directions around sunset.
Old 02-09-16, 12:46 AM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
I only have two conditions when I won't ride: ice on the roads and active lightening. I'll bet that was a memorable ride!
I was just glad I had the bike with the lower handlebars that day! Lots of 'gonna die!' an 'oh ####!!', LOL

Then I hid under a large cement overhang for 20 minutes. No fun at all.

I hate ice. It's the worst. I walk or drive then.
Old 02-09-16, 02:40 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yesterday I had a rainy 5:00 commute but it is very rare.
Old 02-09-16, 07:45 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
headwinds, too.

Actually, it's one of those Murphy's Law situations - you remember the times your bias is confirmed, and not all the other times when it rained, and you were safely inside.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 02-09-16, 07:52 AM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tend to have the opposite experience: I'll often just miss storms and downpours, or they'll just be ramping up as I get to my destination.
Old 02-09-16, 09:26 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I work normal business hours, but not set hours. There's no doubt in my mind my dispatchers let me go for the day when they're sure the weather is at its worst for the day.
Old 02-09-16, 09:34 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
For me it seems to be the opposite during warmer months, especially the hottest months of July-August. During those months I'm practically begging for a rain shower on the way home in the afternoon, but invariably it will rain before and/or after the commute, but not during. I've had commutes with the most menacing looking clouds, but then only got a couple of sprinkles on me while I was actually out riding.
Old 02-09-16, 11:09 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcanum
I tend to have the opposite experience: I'll often just miss storms and downpours, or they'll just be ramping up as I get to my destination.
i have the same experience. i'm also in NY. maybe the mid-atlantic region to NE, we tend to miss those weather systems? the last time i had pouring rain on a commute was Dec. before that it was Sept.
Old 02-09-16, 11:25 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
In central Florida, the late fall, winter and early spring are generally pretty dry except when a front pushes rain through. I have a relatively long commute and try to do it 2 or 3 times times a week. So, I pick my days to ride based upon the location of those fronts. I am not particularly fond of the cold, and I definitely do not like cold and wet rides.

During the summer, it is a different story as it rains almost every afternoon. With the longer days, I watch the weather radar and try to time when I leave for home to hit the nulls in the storms. I can see only about an hour out on the radar, but my ride takes a little longer. So, I have been caught many times about 15 minutes from home in strong thunderstorms. During the summer afternoons, the rains bring a very refreshing drop in temperature, which would be perfect if I did not have to worry about ponding water on the roads and drivers that are even more visually impaired than normal.
Old 02-09-16, 01:06 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Rain is not a big issue here in SoCal, but one phenomenon I could live without is the Sundowner winds.
Over the past few years of bike commuting in San Diego, I have found that rain is most often on the weekends. I read something once about how this is because of higher driving on weekdays builds up particulates to more likely trigger rain on the weekends. Or Friday. I seem to be very lucky to miss the rare socal rain events, either because it's the weekend, or because it's my off-Friday (every other week). Over the past 3 full years of bike commuting, I've been actively rained on maybe 5 times max?
Old 02-09-16, 01:07 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I check an online radar site to time my commute, some days there just is no window, but sometimes there is, and my job is flexible enough that I can go one way or the other to hit the window when it is there.
Old 02-10-16, 10:43 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcanum
Does your toast land jelly side up as well..?
Old 02-10-16, 10:47 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
I think mine must! In addition to rain generally being on weekends and my off-Fridays, there were at least two occasions where I needed to drive to work for non-rain-related reasons (probably child pickup/dropoff), and it rained on those days.

One time it was intermittently raining in the afternoon. I rode home on wet and drying streets, had to pop into the store to buy a can of something the wife needed to make dinner, was in for no more than 5 minutes, and when I came out, it was evident I had missed a passing shower!
Old 02-10-16, 04:07 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to precipitation in the winter. It comes when it comes. It's mostly snow so it doesn't matter unless it's been snowing really hard for awhile before I leave. A light snow can be very pleasant to ride in.

In the early Spring and Fall we can get rains that last most of the day and since it also tends to be cooler, these days are no fun. Summer rains typically come when the atmosphere gets unsettled in the afternoon. Usually you can time it or wait it out. If you can't it's warm rain, so no biggie.

All in all I'd say 9 of 10 commutes are dry for me, if not more.

Last edited by tjspiel; 02-10-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 05:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by tarwheel
Is it just my imagination, or do rain events have an uncanny tendency to hit right during commute times? I notice this all the time, but perhaps it's just coincidence or selective observations.

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I check an online radar site to time my commute, some days there just is no window, but sometimes there is, and my job is flexible enough that I can go one way or the other to hit the window when it is there.
@H-W’s reply pre-empts what I had planned to post. I pay close attention to the weather, and I clench when the prediction is for rain; first a few days ahead of time. Then I wait for the day before, and then on the morning of departure I look for that window.

My main decision would be what to wear, and during the nice weather for my 14 mile one-way commute, which bike to take – the carbon fiber road bike on dry roads, or the beater mountain bike for anything else. I only ride the beater (with studded tires) from December through March. I can leave my bike secure at work and take a train home (including with the bike) after determination of the weather that night, and what the next day will bring.

I'm reluctant to ride in drenching rain, despite Rule 9 of theVelominati, because I once did and developed an abscess "down there" and was off the bike for two weeks.
Old 02-10-16, 05:07 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also noticed that the weather seems less cooperative during commuting times.

I think it is a conspiracy by automotive special interest groups getting the government to manipulate weather to get people to drive. But let's not get political.

I also think it is selective observations that make us notice the weather more at commute times.

But honestly the weather and sun rise and set time makes a difference in the weather. When I had my longer East - West commute along the river I really noticed the wind and it's shift as the ground heats inland relative to the ocean. When I moved and my commutes were later starting I noticed it was more frequently nicer than the earlier start commutes I used to have.

Last edited by joeyduck; 02-10-16 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 07:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
There's daily weather everywhere. Here in Sacramento area, Tule fog is a regular feature of my morning ride. In Ridgecrest the wind would start about 10am. On the Mogollon Rim where we used to go weekends in my youth, it would thunder and sprinkle early every afternoon like clockwork.

And of course there's places like Indiana, where people said if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-10-16, 07:11 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Lately I've had the impression that the storms and hard rains are all missing my commuting times. It must be my virtuous clean living.
Old 02-11-16, 02:49 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Does your toast land jelly side up as well..?
That's funny?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.