Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How could the tragedy be avoided? (Warning: disturbing video)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How could the tragedy be avoided? (Warning: disturbing video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 08:06 PM
wrldtraveller

Bikes: 1999 Raleigh 24 spd Mtn bike, 2019 Trek ALR Checkpoint touring bike, 2012 Scott Speedster S30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
even with mirrors, trucks have blind spots, that truck is huge, and a cyclist is tiny, if the cyclist was, as one post indicated, under the mirror, then the mirror will not show the cyclist. I almost collided with a pedestrian, (i was driving a small panel van) because she was standing right in the spot where the mirror obscured her. I managed to stop very fast because i heard her yell.

The point is, when encountering large trucks, stay back to ensure the driver notice you, because a truck like that, the driver will not know he ran over something.

I once was rear ended by a itty bitty pick up truck, and I was driving a 3 ton cube van. It felt like a tiny bump. I was not sure if somene rear ended me. So i stopped, got out, and asked the driver behind me. he said yeah, he rear ended me.

Just an example.

Be aware, pay attention, stay safe. Enjoy cycling!

W
Old 07-19-16, 08:52 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights
And you are a mindless ignorant troll who will never learn.
More of your insults to cyclist that do not ride in fear as you do.

That's what parks, bike trails and MUPs are for. It is much more pleasant than riding in traffic.
Yet with no experience, you insist you are the authority for telling road cyclist how they should ride or roads you claim they are insane if they ride them.

If you insist on riding like a reckless maniac on highways where cars are traveling at freeway speeds that don't even have so much as a decent bike lane no one can stop you. Have fun playing in traffic with the cars.
I do insist on riding on our roads. That is how I get from here to there. I do not have to load the car/truck up and drive somewhere to go cycling. I just hop on the cycle in the driveway and start cycling.

Back on the OP, the poor woman in the video probably could not afford a car. Her only transportation was likely the bicycle if she was not on a near bus route.
Old 07-19-16, 09:00 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is one area where technology could be a huge help. Trucks have huge blind spots and making a right turn in one is a risky proposition even for an alert and competent driver. With all of the collision avoidance technology coming out, hopefully accidents like this will become a thing of the past. For now, I never pull up next to a large vehicle, whether or not it is signalling a right turn. I'll hang back and let them make the turn (or not) then proceed. Right of way doesn't mean jack if you're dead.

This is from a motorcycle website but it is relevant here as well. None of the motorcycles in the picture can be seen in any of the mirrors, nor out the windows by the driver in his regular seated position.

You can adjust the mirrors all you want, you are just choosing your blind spot.
Old 07-19-16, 09:06 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by wrldtraveller
The point is, when encountering large trucks, stay back to ensure the driver notice you, because a truck like that, the driver will not know he ran over something.

The truck driver was traveling at a speed that was too fast to adequately check the adjacent right lane, which was obviously full of road users to any attentive driver. The truck driver was clearly using his vehicle's size to intimidate other road users to yield their right of way.
The truck driver should face criminal charges for their clearly negligent driving.
Old 07-19-16, 09:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
BITD trucks used to have signs in back such as "Passing side" and "Sui side" painted on back to warn drivers not to pass on the right. There were a number of creative signs of this type because it was such a problem, but I don't see them as often these days.

That's by way of preface of my feeling that trucks should have a sign similar to this [<----------bicycle kill zone---------->] painted on the right side from the cab to the rear axle.

Of course we shouldn't wait for the signs, but learn to see them in our mind's eye, and NEVER ride in the kill zone between the front and rear axles at or near intersections. Of course, sometimes as in this case, the truck is passing, so it's not as if the rider did anything wrong. However, if a truck passes as you approach the intersection, apply brakes to get beyond his rear axle as soon as possible, and meanwhile be alert that you might need to make an emergency right.

BTW - there is a technical fix, and systems similar to this blind spot monitor are showing up on more and more trucks in the UK and Canada, though I don't know if it's marketed in the USA yet.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-19-16 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-19-16, 09:24 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
...if a truck passes as you approach the intersection, apply brakes to get beyond his rear axle as soon as possible, and meanwhile be alert that you might need to make an emergency right.
Pay attention to your surroundings. Acquire and use a mirror. Do not EVER allow yourself to be in that position near any vehicle that might turn right. Even an emergency right might not be enough as many times those rear wheels bounce over the curb.

I can think of twice in my life where I found myself somehow, strangely, getting into that spot. Most likely a laps of concentration. Both times I recognized the danger and just bounced up the curb and onto the sidewalk to my right - all the way to the edge of the buildings across the entire sidewalk. One truck pulling a trailer did not turn after all but parked at the curb, which would have crushed me anyway, the other did turn and the wheels bounced over the curb at the corner.

Recognizing the danger and paying attention is critical.
Old 07-19-16, 09:35 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

However, if a truck passes as you approach the intersection, apply brakes to get beyond his rear axle as soon as possible, and meanwhile be alert that you might need to make an emergency right.
In most all USA cases I agree. But watching the video, seems there are so many mopeds in the bike lane, that a cyclist slowing fast enough to clear that truck would get run over by the moped behind. Had she seen the trucks front tires start to turn, a quick turn might have saved her, but again, someone mentioned that the moped behind seemed to be undercutting her in that turn.
Old 07-19-16, 09:37 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by GravelMN
This is from a motorcycle website but it is relevant here as well. None of the motorcycles in the picture can be seen in any of the mirrors, nor out the windows by the driver in his regular seated position.

You can adjust the mirrors all you want, you are just choosing your blind spot.
I like it^^!
Old 07-19-16, 09:37 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by dynodonn
The truck driver was clearly using his vehicle's size to intimidate other road users to yield their right of way.
So were the cars that were left hooking the moped riders ahead of the cyclist.
Old 07-19-16, 09:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Pay attention to your surroundings. ....

Recognizing the danger and paying attention is critical.
We're on the same page here. The key is alertness and reaction to manage the situation proactively.

IMO the danger level rises and falls as you ride and you have to recognize those moments which call for more alertness on your part and manage past them.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-19-16, 10:02 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by CB HI
So were the cars that were left hooking the moped riders ahead of the cyclist.

Here in the US, that would be considered an illegal left turn due to the turning motorists not yielding to all oncoming traffic, not just mopeds, but it looks like that this is still a work in progress in this country.
Old 07-19-16, 10:11 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
Good picture. Sometimes when a big truck is stopped or slowly moving next to me, I looked up at the driver to see if they noticed me, they were always staring forward, looking fatigued or absent-minded.

For those of us who usually ride on the very right side of the street, I guess it's a good idea to gradually move away from the edge and into traffic lane (close to taking the lane) when approaching an intersection.
Old 07-19-16, 11:32 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I have done 2000 miles in China, half highway, half Chengdu. over 16 weeks on 3 trips in different years. Plus most of Vietnam. I never felt the least unsafe actually. I saw /heard and just missed seeing a bunch of mayhem. Things are getting better, like fully controlled left turn signal phases. Trucks are largely restricted to the graveyard shift in big cities, including construction.

The 2 people in the vid are both equally rather high on the dingbat/ negligent scale of road travel, even by Chinese standards. They both plowed straight on like they were the only ones there. One thing we don't know is if he at least honked his horn. The correct procedure is to slow way down an angle over. NOBODY is going to stop, especially those bikes. Rule #1 is Barge thru/ in ... THEY must give way. It actually mostly works, except when the road narrows they ALL try to butt in from all sides. . This idiocy happened on my way to the airport.

Obviously, Dynodon et al is clueless about traffic or drivers in China. Bicycles have more rights than BIG vehicles ??? LOL VC ??? LOL ... Bike lane or not. I mostly approached things as merging/ take turns.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 07-20-16 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 05:15 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
or perhaps truck drivers should be aware that they are driving and thus responsible for their damages and deaths, but im not expecting any decrease in human casualties
I'm convinced that a decrease in casualties should come from all road users beeing more empathic to eachothers limitations and needs. I think I understand where you're coming from and that it's mainly the lack of empathy for cyclists by truck and car drivers that is the current problem but I think a defensive attitude by cyclists, like these are the rules, this is my right etc, isn't always helping a certainly a risk. A cyclist is entitled to claim his space, but if the space is yours, you're also entitled to gift it to another road user, for your own safety, or just to be nice.

I'm cycling in a much more bicycle friendly environment than 99,99% of the world, and that means that cars and trucks are not my enemy, just as cyclists aren't my enemy when I'm in the car or a pedestrian. So if I can make life easier for everybody I will not hesitate to ignore what I'm entitled to by the rules and I will never position myself in the blind spot of a truck.
Old 07-20-16, 07:30 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by Stadjer
I will not hesitate to ignore what I'm entitled to by the rules and I will never position myself in the blind spot of a truck.

As you may be aware of a large truck's blind spot, not all cyclists are. A truly professional truck driver will be aware of their truck's blind spots, will drive their vehicle accordingly, and not like they're in the family sedan, especially in an urban environment.
Old 07-20-16, 07:38 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
We have our Darwin Award winner of the day.

- Didn't bother to look to her left and right before attempting to cross the street.
- Rode straight into the truck's blind spot without first checking to see if it was going to turn on her.
Did you see the same video I did. I didn't see a bicyclist ride into a blind spot. The video I saw showed a bicycle in a truck's blind spot. The truck could have just as easily passed them before the point where the video picked up.

I think I get your point though. Right hooks, particularly in the subject circumstances, are pretty easy to avoid. I would have assumed that truck was going to turn right. If it were going to go straight, it likely would have been increasing speed.
Old 07-20-16, 07:50 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Anyway, this is a very common risk. How could one avoid it?
Simple. Don't ride in places like that. Car will win everytime.

This isn't rocket science folks.
Old 07-20-16, 07:50 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
As you may be aware of a large truck's blind spot, not all cyclists are.
No, but they should be. It's very easy, if you can't see the driver in his mirror, he can't see you either.

A truly professional truck driver will be aware of their truck's blind spots, will drive their vehicle accordingly, and not like they're in the family sedan, especially in an urban environment.
True, and here the roads are designed to keep cyclists out of the blind spot of trucks so the council can help the truck drivers to. But there are old roads also and not every road could be redesigned, and responsible truck drivers will make mistakes just like car drivers and cyclists. If it takes two mistakes to kill you, don't make yours.
Old 07-20-16, 08:04 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Stadjer, your higher expectations of cyclist's responsibilities is typical, and why a number of motorists and truck drivers operate their vehicles as they do, coupled with the lower penalties in injuring or killing a vulnerable road user.
Old 07-20-16, 08:22 AM
FBinNY 

Stadjer, your higher expectations of cyclist's responsibilities is typical, and why a number of motorists and truck drivers operate their vehicles as they do, ......
Cyclists have greater responsibility to be aware, not for any political, social, or historical reasons, but for the simple fact that they have the most at stake.

In a perfect world of people of good conscience responsibility should be felt based on the total risks involved, to both the person making decisions and those affected by that decision.

I have no problem holding a professional driver to a higher standard of caution regarding blind spots or any aspect of his driving, and in fact, the law does. However, laws of man are for the courts, and the laws of nature trumps them.

So, regardless of who's legally more responsible, it falls on the cyclist to take responsibility for his own safety, and be aware of the dangers and ride smart.

Old 07-20-16, 08:37 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Cyclists have greater responsibility to be aware, not for any political, social, or historical reasons, but for the simple fact that they have the most at stake.

I understand this, but this is also why we have one local hit and run motorist still in negotiation with law enforcement, via the motorist's lawyer, on conditions in turning themselves in, after killing two vulnerable road users a week ago, plus this why bicycle transportation share in the US is so low.
Old 07-20-16, 09:10 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I understand this, but this is also why we have one local hit and run motorist still in negotiation with law enforcement, via the motorist's lawyer, on conditions in turning themselves in, after killing two vulnerable road users a week ago, plus this [is] why bicycle transportation share in the US is so low.
Not really. People, Americans especially, are too soft and lazy, as well as heat/cold and discomfort intolerant. And many of them don't eat real food. THIS is why.

SOURCE
Old 07-20-16, 09:18 AM
FBinNY 

.... plus this why bicycle transportation share in the US is so low.
Don't drag in unrelated things. Bicycle transportation in the US is low for a number of reasons with lack of ease or convenience being number one.

Old 07-20-16, 09:24 AM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
As you may be aware of a large truck's blind spot, not all cyclists are. A truly professional truck driver will be aware of their truck's blind spots, will drive their vehicle accordingly, and not like they're in the family sedan, especially in an urban environment.
The cyclist (or driver) can't choose to interact with only professional truck drivers. The cyclist only has control over their own actions.

Cyclists (and drivers) have a responsibility to be aware of the blind spots of large trucks.

That the cyclist has a practical requirement to drive defensively doesn't mean the truck driver doesn't have their own responsibilities.

But this is a cycling forum and there probably aren't many truck drivers reading the posts (meaning it's not unreasonable to talk about what the cyclist should do).

In a perfect world of people of good conscience responsibility should be felt based on the total risks involved, to both the person making decisions and those affected by that decision.

I have no problem holding a professional driver to a higher standard of caution regarding blind spots or any aspect of his driving, and in fact, the law does. However, laws of man are for the courts, and the laws of nature trumps them.

So, regardless of who's legally more responsible, it falls on the cyclist to take responsibility for his own safety, and be aware of the dangers and ride smart.
Yes. Though, it really applies to all drivers/riders.

What you are describing is "defensive driving".

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-20-16 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 10:01 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Apparently there needs to be a law saying ... Stay the hell away from trucks.
Remember 2 years ago when garbage lorries killed 6 cyclists in 8 days in London ??
You guys expect the QE II to yield to a Kayak ??? WTF

A truly professional cyclist will NOT ride beside a truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.