Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Katakura

Old 03-21-13, 08:11 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Katakura

Don't know much about it, except that it has some pretty cool attachments!
It might be a Katakura Silk Alpha?

Any ideas about it's era, quality, or worth?

Attached Images
Likes For 67tony:
Old 03-21-13, 08:29 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Looks like it has that weird shimano ffs crank system. If true, stay away, they are a Pita.
Old 03-22-13, 02:18 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
The bike looks to be mid to late seventies and of entry level quality. The bike will be quite heavy, for a road bicycle, and less than user friendly, in my opinion. None the less, it can prove to be a fun recreational ride, but little more.

Value would be minimal, depending on condition and location. Personally, I would not want the bike and frequently give such bikes away to a local non-profit organization. If you really like the bike and it is in excellent condition, $50.00 would be the most I would pay, however; were I you, I would keep looking for something that offers better Vintage Bicycle Quality.
Old 03-22-13, 06:36 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle appears to be a early 1970s. entry level model. The most interesting feature is the rear derailleur which appears to be the relatively rare SunTour Skitter, This was SunTour's bottom of the line derailleur but rarely spec'd, at least in North America. It goes back to the mid-1960s but I don't think the bicycle is that old due to the presence of the chainring mounted guard and brake safety levers, which became popular during the boom. BTW, I don't think that is an FFS crankset. The frame is almost certainly hi-tensile steel. If this is your bicycle or if you have the serial number, I should be able to tell you the exact age, having decoded the Katakura serial number format as part of my Nishiki Serial Number Database study.
Old 03-22-13, 04:49 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
+1 that the crankset is most likely not an FFS, The FFS cranks I've encountered through the years, I think, had aluminum crank arms and did not have cotters on it and had a one piece aluminum spider/chainring/chainring guard..........unless, the one on this bike is an older iteration of the system.....
Old 03-22-13, 09:08 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Thanks, everybody, for the replies. I have not yet examined the bike, since it's a CL ad in a city that I'll be visiting soon...Norfolk, VA. I was attracted to the decent-looking racks, fenders, and generator system, but at 200 clams my interest has waned!

T-Mar, great catch on the SunTour Skitter RD, if I look at the bike I'll try to verify that. Also, thanks for offering to interpret the serial number.

Here are the other pics from the ad:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (1.4 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg
3.jpg (1.2 KB, 183 views)
Old 03-23-13, 03:31 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Chombi
+1 that the crankset is most likely not an FFS, The FFS cranks I've encountered through the years, I think, had aluminum crank arms and did not have cotters on it and had a one piece aluminum spider/chainring/chainring guard..........unless, the one on this bike is an older iteration of the system.....
The FFS, came in numerous versions including cottered and Astabula style. Regardless, I still don't think it's an FFS. The picture resolution isn't good enough for a postitve identification but it looks like it may be a Sinko 66.
Old 04-09-19, 08:36 AM
Zbridgman
Katakura

Bikes: 1970’ish Katakura Silk. 1968 Columbia twosome.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About the Katakura.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The FFS, came in numerous versions including cottered and Astabula style. Regardless, I still don't think it's an FFS. The picture resolution isn't good enough for a postitve identification but it looks like it may be a Sinko 66.
i bel
Old 04-09-19, 08:38 AM
Zbridgman
Katakura

Bikes: 1970’ish Katakura Silk. 1968 Columbia twosome.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Katakura.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle appears to be a early 1970s. entry level model. The most interesting feature is the rear derailleur which appears to be the relatively rare SunTour Skitter, This was SunTour's bottom of the line derailleur but rarely spec'd, at least in North America. It goes back to the mid-1960s but I don't think the bicycle is that old due to the presence of the chainring mounted guard and brake safety levers, which became popular during the boom. BTW, I don't think that is an FFS crankset. The frame is almost certainly hi-tensile steel. If this is your bicycle or if you have the serial number, I should be able to tell you the exact age, having decoded the Katakura serial number format as part of my Nishiki Serial Number Database study.
Please give us the decoder!!! I have a Katakura Silk that has parts that pre-date 1968. Any information would be amazing!!
Old 04-13-20, 06:12 AM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Seems like a lot of money

I was out on a social distance ride and waiting at a red light when an older guy pulled up. He was on a chrome drop bar Katakura marked bike. Having never seen one in person I barely noticed he said good morning before he blasted away on the green. Later, I jumped on this forum to learn a bit more. I checked eBay/craigslist not really expecting to find anything and came across this ad. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Katakura-Si...4AAOSwGpBeQxTu

Old 04-13-20, 11:50 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Londonsworld, you've re-opened a zombie thread.

I really don't know much about Katakura. The geometry, chrome steel lugged frame, threaded eyelets on dropouts and, flanges for down tube shifters make this particular bike appear to have been a touring bike converted to a "fixie". With 27" clincher wheels I would guess around 1980 vintage. Chrome is nice but, a little rough.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 04-13-20, 08:51 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Londonsworld
...Later, I jumped on this forum to learn a bit more. I checked eBay/craigslist not really expecting to find anything and came across this ad. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Katakura-Si...4AAOSwGpBeQxTu
+1, don't be seduced by the chrome plating. It looks nice but the frame itself appears to be a mass produced, lower mid-range model from the early 1980s. The parts are a mish-mash of vintage to modern parts from various levels. Given that it was purchased as a frame, the headset is likely OEM and it's a basic steel model. Dropouts with eyelets but no other touring amenities, is indicative of a sports model, not a true racing bicycle. Definitely not worth anywhere near the asking price.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-14-20, 05:36 AM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
What is funny is my wife walked by while I was looking at the ebay ad. She made some remark and I assured her I wasn't interested ;-) As she walked away she reminded me I said the same thing last year...... a few weeks later my Nishiki Safari showed up...lol
Old 07-27-20, 01:04 AM
E.blan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For the right price, I'm sure it'll be a great fixer upper, or a practice fixer... And its vintage, so that's a plus, no one else will have it