Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Jef Mallett (aka Frazz) gets it

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-08-19, 09:31 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts

I enjoy Jef Mallett's Frazz comic strip enough that I have it on my Facebook feed. Today's posting hit really close to home:

"Most bicycle nerds do this, and most of us who do it are fully aware of it: We purchase yet another expensive, probably excessive bicycle with the promise to ourselves that it’s the last bicycle we’ll ever buy. Or need. Both are untrue, and we know it. We’ll likely buy another bike after that one, and we likely already own the last bike we’d ever need. And it doesn’t matter."

"There’s another category, it occurred to me recently. Most of us don’t think of it because it’s all but unthinkable, but there’s the last bike you’ll ever get rid of. I think I realized what mine was the moment I got it, but it took me a while to recognize it. The bike is my (I’m guessing on the year) 2006 Torelli Piste. It’s a track bike modified ever so slightly for road use, meaning it has a brake. It’s a fixed-gear bike, meaning it has just one gear and direct drive — you cannot coast. Steel frame, top drawer but nothing exotic. I think the only carbon fiber on it is the behind-the-seat water bottle cage holder, an aftermarket leftover from my triathlon world (so of course it’s carbon fiber) because no self-respecting track bike frame has water bottle bosses. When I got it, I already owned or had owned plenty of ridiculous, high-end race bikes. And I loved them. All sorts of carbon fiber, elegant shapes, crisp and plentiful gears, and speed, speed, speed. They were a joy to ride, and if I didn’t go sonic-boom fast it wasn’t any of the bikes’ fault. They were all kind of expensive. And the bare-bones Torelli was not."

"But the Torelli was the one I found myself choosing for most of my rides, for any ride I could. It fit perfectly. The spring of the steel was exquisite. There’s joy to be found in the connectedness of the fixed gear. It was way easier to clean and maintain. And it was just plain fun. The other bikes were tools, maybe even weapons. That Torelli, I came to realize, was art."

"I don’t bicycle the way I used to, not since I moved to the sprawl of metro Detroit. And I’m finally admitting that as long as I live here I probably won’t. Some of my best bicycles are on unofficial permanent loan to friends who will use them the way they deserve to be used. But I still have, and by definition will always have, the last bike I’ll ever get rid of."

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 06-09-19, 04:47 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Yes, he nailed it, although I’m not sure which of my bikes would be the last to get rid of. Probably the DeRosa. Maybe the Raleigh Professional.

I’m sure the female equivalent is clothing and/or shoes.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 06-09-19, 05:26 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Heh, talk to a guitar player!
Old 06-09-19, 05:36 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Heh, talk to a guitar player!
Or a violinist!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 06-09-19, 06:45 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Or a fountain pen fanatic ...
Old 06-09-19, 07:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Or a watch collector.
Old 06-09-19, 04:50 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Nope. I think I'm done. In fact, lately I've been thinking about paring down the fleet. Then again, I'm over 60, so I consider myself '80% done with life' . Don't get me wrong, I still like to ride -- but just not so much in cold, rain, fog... I ride only on days where there is a good expectation of staying dry. My bikes are all classic DF steel rides. All have freewheels. Only one isn't 27". I'm a Luddite, a Dinosaur...

My Univega Viva Sport was rebuilt to near same-year Miyata 710 specs, then I bought a newer real 710, so the Uni is superfluous could go...

My old Fuji -- well, it is an old friend, bought new 40+ years ago, so that stays for sentimental reasons.

Univega Gran Tourismo? Unless I somehow can finagle going on an extended bicycle tour (not likely at my position in Life), that can go bye-bye as well.

'64 Schwinn three-speed? Someone make me an offer...

My three MTBs are just beaters and I can let them go without any thought or regrets... One (the Mutt) was built expressively for riding the C&O/GAP but now that my sister has moved from the DC area, there is no reason...

Oh, and it isn't just cycling... I'm paring down the car fleet as well. Just no ambition ...
Old 06-09-19, 06:43 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Check my sig. I'm five weeks out from my 67th birthday, and I have six nice, functional road bikes, one of them yet to be built up. The last four have been jewels. And the fifth is close.

Old 06-09-19, 09:14 PM
Rexnuktia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With 8 in the garage (two being restored / built) I have self realized my addiction. Over the next year will try and get down to 2 or 4 (maybe) ...
Old 06-09-19, 11:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
@Jeff Wills, have you read "Roadie" by Jamie Smith (aka EventServices) yet? Also illustrated by Jef Mallett. When I first saw the cover, I figured the publisher had just picked a comic illustrator to help the book look less "serious." I'm coming to learn that the two have a lot in common!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-10-19, 06:12 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
My favorite comic strip by far, found Frazz a few years back when someone here on BF posted a link to a strip they had enjoyed, like the one @Jeff Wills posted above. Had a good chuckle at the strip above last week too. Every morning when I read my, "followed", set of comic strips I always watch for his t-shirt, under his coveralls, just to see what arcane/famous brand, or musical reference he has shared with us.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-10-19, 07:31 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
To ride, to enjoy, to give away.

I have Mr. Marchand on my wall who retired from setting Hour Records at 106 to remind me that at 67 there's nearly 40 years left to ride and that riding a bike means many many ways to do so.

I come into my little office and see beautiful design, the soul of art/master craftsmanship and this lifts the spirit brings a smile. These bikes have changed through the years, but the ones left all do this for me.

I chased grandsons two weeks ago, they/re ready to lose training wheels, move from a Big Wheel to a balance bike. Granddaughters already ride. The days of riding slow, riding like a child are coming. Yet they will grow, perhaps some will continue to ride and each of these bikes is waiting for such a child to choose them, or, make some young man/woman in high school have an "Oh Wow" moment when for" ride to school week" they win the essay for one of these bikes.

The wheel turns, stay in the middle and enjoy the journey.
Likes For since6:
Old 06-10-19, 10:04 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
@Jeff Wills, have you read "Roadie" by Jamie Smith (aka EventServices) yet? Also illustrated by Jef Mallett. When I first saw the cover, I figured the publisher had just picked a comic illustrator to help the book look less "serious." I'm coming to learn that the two have a lot in common!
No, I haven't. And gosh darn it, my birthday was last month.

(FWIW: I'm getting a new bike. My wife has approved my purchase of a replacement since my favorite bike developed a cracked head tube. Aluminum, so it's not getting fixed.)

I'll have to pick up a copy the next time I'm at Powell's: https://www.powells.com/book/-9781934030172

Old 06-10-19, 10:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
No, I haven't. And gosh darn it, my birthday was last month.

(FWIW: I'm getting a new bike. My wife has approved my purchase of a replacement since my favorite bike developed a cracked head tube. Aluminum, so it's not getting fixed.)

I'll have to pick up a copy the next time I'm at Powell's: https://www.powells.com/book/-9781934030172
I saw the thread(s) about your dear departed Gold Rush, but didn't have anything I could add. Hope you find a replacement that makes you even happier!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-10-19, 10:17 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I saw the thread(s) about your dear departed Gold Rush, but didn't have anything I could add. Hope you find a replacement that makes you even happier!
I'll post pictures once the new bike arrives and is built up. Apropos Jef Mallett's comments that started this thread: this may be my "last bike". I'm getting to the point where my aging physiology might not allow anything further so this one might be a "do everything" bike. It'll have fenders and lights but it definitely won't be "vintage". Cie la vie...