Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What bike am I looking for ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 03:27 PM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

Bikes: Trek FX 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 13 Posts

I want a lightweight bike like a hybrid that I can run 700x38 or 40mm no suspension flat bars and 1x11 or 1x12 drive train. Any idea what bike this would be ?
TIA
Old 09-22-19, 03:54 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
How much money are you prepared to pay? 1x11 or 1x12 drivetrains are not cheap. Omitting the front derailleur isn't going to save much in terms of the price
Sometimes it may even cost more
Old 09-22-19, 04:35 PM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

Bikes: Trek FX 2 Disk

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
How much money are you prepared to pay? 1x11 or 1x12 drivetrains are not cheap. Omitting the front derailleur isn't going to save much in terms of the price
Sometimes it may even cost more
I just want the simplicity of only 1 shifter did not think it would save money. Not sure how much I am willing to spend maybe somewhere between 1000 and 1500.
Old 09-22-19, 05:01 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Something like a Trek FX, Giant Fastroad, or Specialized Sirrus sound like what you are describing, but I don’t think any come stock with 1x drivetrains.

There may be some other company producing exactly what you are looking for, you will just have to check all the websites (Kona, C-dale, Fuji, Marin, Jamis, Raleigh....)

Otherwise, I’d just see how you like a 2x, and if you don’t like it, you can do a 1x conversion. Look at SRAM NX And a Sunrace cassette to do it on the cheaper side.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-23-19 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-22-19, 05:31 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Merida Speeder Limited fits the bill, except for maybe the 700x38-40C requirement. You may be limited to 700x35C. They're also not available in the North American market, but they're common elsewhere.

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike...peeder-limited
Old 09-22-19, 06:05 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Try a touring bicycle. They usually take wider tires, have large-range cassettes in the rear. As for the 1X, just use the FD until you find which chainring you use the most, then take off the FD and just use that single chainring. Conversion to flat bars would be pretty basic. Those I can think of are the Trek 520, Fuji Touring (is it still made?), I think Kona, Cannondale, and Salas have good options, too.

FWIW: Definitely think about keeping the multiple chainring option. Most of my bicycles have multiple chainrings up front with no FD. I've got a few FDs I can mount on them, but I only do that if I go somewhere where I know I'll need it; for daily riding I don't need one. If I find I do need another front ring I can always dismounts and flip the chain; its a PITA but it works in a pinch.
Old 09-22-19, 06:41 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Also check out the alloy-carbon Sonder Camino. Sonder's the in-house brand of Alpkit, the UK outdoor manufacturer. There's a flatbar version and a frameset option, as well as wide scope for customization if you're buying a complete, albeit within the bounds of the Love Mud range, which is their component brand. These guys have great bikepacking bags and tarps etc, as well as clothing, so if you wanted some flexibility to make a weekend camper, as well as a town bike, there's a lot of good options. Plus their shipping is reasonable.

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-alloy

Last edited by PDKL45; 01-19-20 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-22-19, 06:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Working as always.
Old 09-23-19, 09:43 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Surly's flat-bar Crosscheck option is a good touring/hybrid though it doesn't have the 1x.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check

Cinelli's Hobobootleg Interrail (???) has a 1x10, though the spec sheet inexplicably doesn't actually say this on their US site.

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/hobootle...e-agen-orange/
Old 09-23-19, 11:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Because a front shifter is complicated to operate. Love how "Big Bike" convinces us of stuff. Several years ago "Adventure Cyclist" ran a piece about 1x drivetrains. Some guy with SRAM told me my triple basically was the wrong tool for touring and that I never used the middle chainring. I was so upset to learn that I had been doing it all wrong all those years. Ditched the triple and plopped down $$ for a 1x. Have never looked backed. (Those last three sentences are not true.)
Old 11-28-19, 05:21 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Because a front shifter is complicated to operate. Love how "Big Bike" convinces us of stuff. Several years ago "Adventure Cyclist" ran a piece about 1x drivetrains. Some guy with SRAM told me my triple basically was the wrong tool for touring and that I never used the middle chainring. I was so upset to learn that I had been doing it all wrong all those years. Ditched the triple and plopped down $$ for a 1x. Have never looked backed. (Those last three sentences are not true.)
LOL is this the same "Big Bike" that sold you your current three-chainring setup?
Old 11-29-19, 10:15 PM
BK84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Take a look at the Ribble CGR AL flat bar.