Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Jtek ShiftMate - Good or not so?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-02-19, 09:26 AM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been running Campy 10 speed with wheels conversion cassette onto a Shimano 10 speed hub and I have many of these wheels.
As time marches on the Conversion cassettes for 10 speed are getting hard to find and was wondering if anyone has used the Jtek ShiftMate succesfully for Campy shifters etc to a Shimano 10 speed hub or had issues.

Thanks for the responses.

Robert
Old 10-02-19, 09:53 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I've used Shiftmates to convert:
1) Shimano 9-speed cassette and Shimano rear derailleur with Campy 10-speed brifters.
2) Shimano 10-speed cassette and rear derailleur with Campy 10-speed brifters
3) Shimano 10-speed shifters with Campy 10-speed cassette and rear derailleur. This version is still in use.

All three of these combinations worked extremely well and shifting was/is indistinguishable from matched components.
Old 10-02-19, 10:04 AM
Not the Slowest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I've used Shiftmates to convert:
1) Shimano 9-speed cassette and Shimano rear derailleur with Campy 10-speed brifters.
2) Shimano 10-speed cassette and rear derailleur with Campy 10-speed brifters
3) Shimano 10-speed shifters with Campy 10-speed cassette and rear derailleur. This version is still in use.

All three of these combinations worked extremely well and shifting was/is indistinguishable from matched components.
Thanks,
I"m Campy 10 Shifters - Campy RD with Shimano 10 speed hub. Looks like the Version #1 will do it.
Old 10-02-19, 08:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Not 10 speed but I have a couple handfuls of 9 speed Shiftmated bikes (put 30 miles of the most recent one yesterday) with zero issues and very nice shifting feel. I also have installed Shiftmates on a number of customer bikes with equal results. It is easy to be confused by the compatibility charts on the website. So if you are not completely sure which one seek another's help. Andy
Old 10-02-19, 08:20 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I run a #1 and #3 , finding them flawless and I would not argue with them being better than match components. The more smooth less friction transition into the RD in my mind may actually improve shifting and extend the cable/housing life.
Old 10-02-19, 08:40 PM
Not the Slowest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have the correct one to use, thanks
Old 10-03-19, 07:53 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest
I think I have the correct one to use, thanks
Just be sure you have the pulley oriented correctly. There are two ways and only one works properly.
Old 10-03-19, 10:44 AM
Not the Slowest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by HillRider
Just be sure you have the pulley oriented correctly. There are two ways and only one works properly.
Thanks, Noted
Old 10-06-19, 10:34 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
One, that's right, just one cable broke a strand during its course through the two pulleys, in 10 years of using Shiftmates on our tandem. (Others have pointed this out, too. With cable splicers it's not a big deal because you can use a cheap, non-Campag cable for the rear section to the derailer.) We've used them for Campag 10-sp shifters to Shimano 9-sp cassettes, and for Campag 9-sp shifters to Shimano 9-sp cassettes. The latter I think is the better set-up since there is no ghost click but in both cases the Shiftmates work superbly. The finish on one wasn't quite up to standard causing the bearing to stick at one point in the rotation. The UK retailer (SJS Cycles) sent a replacement by express mail without even wanting the defective one back. Can't recommend them highly enough.
Old 10-06-19, 05:56 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
The issue I have with Shiftmate as I noted on another thread recently is that you are then wedded to whatever cassette you are set for, so you can't switch back and forth between Campy and Shimano easily. In my case I am better off with a conversion cassette, and one that I made myself. This only works if you have an 11 speed hub though to get 10 Shimano cogs to fit with Campy spacing.