Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Seller BEWARE...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 09:13 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I live in the country and if it's a low end bike I say "off you go for a test ride" and wait at home. Anything remotely nice and I ride with the buyer.

Also, I think this should be a polite reminder to dig out tools needed to adjust seatpost and bar stem before buyers show and keep garage doors/shed doors closed. No use letting someone see what else you have that might be nicer than what you are selling.

A thief who would alter your bike might well return later.....
I always meet at a busy, public parking lot. I don't want ANYONE knowing what's in my garage. So yes, I make sure to have tools with me.
Old 10-03-19, 09:19 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
On a bike with 8 speed or higher and messing with the chain basically totals the chain in my view. I have ridden a bike with a 9 speed chain where I had to repair it with a chain breaker, but I replaced it when I got home.
I agree with this. I've had the same experience with some stubborn pins that once removed and replaced refused to act "normal".
Old 10-09-19, 02:52 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
No one gets out of my visual sight on my bikes. My truck is parked up front, just in case. Everyone arrives in a car to look at mine anyhow.
Yeah, nobody is riding around. I sell on a large parking lot. If you can't ride it there you can forget it. I have never had happen what happened to the OP. And he says it only happened to him once.

Always meet in a public place. I never would sell a bike out of my house. You are not coming to my house.

If you are a no show you can forget it. One clown canceled on me twice, and then wined when I told him to forget it. I told him the same thing he told me, I hate to do this to you. And proceeded to sell the item to another buyer.

One thing I don't do is make phone calls. Email, and email only! I have called people on occasion, and they never, ever buy. I just called some goofy woman the other day. I remembered my golden rule after I got off the phone with her.

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-09-19 at 02:58 PM.