Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Riding in the rain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 05:40 PM
greenmtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in the rain

Looks like we may be getting some rain for the Lancaster metric century.
What concerns you most regarding the bike
I have Chorus w/Eurus wheels my son Dura-Ace w/Easton Circut wheels both carbon frames
Any issues with the bottom brackets? Wheel bearings, etc
We realize the bikes will need a through cleaning / chain relube anything else?
Thanks
Old 08-17-06, 07:06 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are in Lancaster County, PA, there will probably be an excess of horse manure plus fine grit produced by the steel carriage wheel rims grinding up the pavement surface. It is a beautiful place to ride but when those roads are wet the gorp thrown up by tires is exceptionally obnoxious. I usually take an older bike to ride around Lancaster. Better yet, rent one. Seriously, start by hosing and/or wiping everything down and then do a through inspection and relube at the least. Enjoy the riding!
Old 08-17-06, 08:32 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by greenmtn
Looks like we may be getting some rain for the Lancaster metric century.
What concerns you most regarding the bike
I have Chorus w/Eurus wheels my son Dura-Ace w/Easton Circut wheels both carbon frames
Any issues with the bottom brackets? Wheel bearings, etc
We realize the bikes will need a through cleaning / chain relube anything else?
Thanks
A few hours of rain, even if it is heavy, will have no effect on well-made bearings... as yours surely are, given that you have fancy top-of-the-line components!

Basically, the only maintenance is to wipe off water and mud. Especially be sure to dry the chain, as it can develop surface rust VERY quickly (almost overnight) if you don't dry it. Relube the chain if it gets noisy, but if it seems fine the next time you ride it, don't worry about it.
Old 08-17-06, 09:07 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your bearings will be fine, they are well sealed. You could use a hair dryer to remove all water from the drivetrain to avoid rust
Old 08-18-06, 08:37 AM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The fine spray that comes off of the tires can find its way into the shifters and cables. These are areas where I have had problems in the past. I would plan to flush out the shifters with WD40, and clean and lubricate the cables. I would also spray the chain with WD40 and then re-lube the chain and shifters with your favorite chain lube. I've also had problems with cloth rim tape holding water against the spoke eyelets leading to corrosion and premature eyelet failure, but that may have been an unusual case. If you want to go to the trouble remove the tires, tubes, and rim tape to dry the rims. This seems extreme but it would have saved my $800 wheel.

Al
Old 08-18-06, 08:59 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Just ride your bike. Its not the Wicked Witch of the West, it won't melt if water gets on it.

If you ride in the rain constantly, just do the routine repack of all bearing a little more often, starting with the headset, most likely bearings to get contaminated.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 08-18-06, 09:51 AM
moxfyre

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Just ride your bike. Its not the Wicked Witch of the West, it won't melt if water gets on it.

If you ride in the rain constantly, just do the routine repack of all bearing a little more often, starting with the headset, most likely bearings to get contaminated.
+1

Honestly! Bikes are made to ride in all kinds of conditions. I've ridden my road bike on snow, ice, gravel, in rain, hail, snow, mud... enjoy the ride and wipe water off of it afterwards
Old 08-18-06, 05:34 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Something I picked up somewhere was putting grease around the headset bearings, on the outside. THis is an extra barrier against water.
Old 08-18-06, 08:07 PM
moxfyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
Something I picked up somewhere was putting grease around the headset bearings, on the outside. THis is an extra barrier against water.
You can also use a short section of an old inner tube to keep dirt out. This is especially good for old JIS headsets w/out dust caps...
Old 08-19-06, 08:07 AM
Carusoswi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I generally just ride my bike free from worry that the elements will wear it out. If that happens, I'll either fix it or get a new bike. Bikes are a fun piece of equipment - and I enjoy riding/maintaining mine, having the LBS upgrade components, etc. But I don't regard them as I would some exclusive automobile that, if maintained in pristine OEM condition will somehow appreciate in value in 30 years.

I would say to just ride your bike, follow the advice here on basic preventative maintenance, and not worry about it. Of course, my comment is moot, since you are already out there, hopefully, doing your thing.

Good luck.

Caruso
Old 08-20-06, 04:19 AM
M3ta7h3ad

Bikes: Apollo CX10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
The fine spray that comes off of the tires can find its way into the shifters and cables. These are areas where I have had problems in the past. I would plan to flush out the shifters with WD40, and clean and lubricate the cables. I would also spray the chain with WD40 and then re-lube the chain and shifters with your favorite chain lube. I've also had problems with cloth rim tape holding water against the spoke eyelets leading to corrosion and premature eyelet failure, but that may have been an unusual case. If you want to go to the trouble remove the tires, tubes, and rim tape to dry the rims. This seems extreme but it would have saved my $800 wheel.

Al
Vaseline around the spoke ferrules.

Protects it against water entry so you dont get rusty nipples , gets a bit dirty however, but wipe it away and the rim will be sparkling underneath.

Did it on my rear wheel, but never bothered with the front.

Front wheel under the rim tape was rusting like crazy (now replaced), rear wheel looked just like the day I bought the bike.
Old 08-20-06, 11:58 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
I live in Scotland and right now I'm really worried as the weather forecast tells me that we are about to have a whole day of sunshine. As I'm only 67 years of age I've never experienced anything but rain and I'm very worried as to the problems sunshine may cause my bike. Is there something I can do to prevent these? Are my bearings likely to run dry and is my chain going to seize up?
Is it worth the risk or should I just stay in that day and play safe.
Old 08-20-06, 12:57 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lurch
If you are in Lancaster County, PA, there will probably be an excess of horse manure plus fine grit produced by the steel carriage wheel rims grinding up the pavement surface. It is a beautiful place to ride but when those roads are wet the gorp thrown up by tires is exceptionally obnoxious. I usually take an older bike to ride around Lancaster. Better yet, rent one. Seriously, start by hosing and/or wiping everything down and then do a through inspection and relube at the least. Enjoy the riding!
Fenders would definitely be a help here, wouldn't they? Skunk stripes are bad, skunk stripes made up of wet gritty horse poop, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeach!!!!!!
Old 08-20-06, 01:46 PM
greenmtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wel it never did rain, but thanks to all who gave good advice for when it does!
Old 08-20-06, 03:06 PM
moxfyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by onbike 1939
I live in Scotland and right now I'm really worried as the weather forecast tells me that we are about to have a whole day of sunshine. As I'm only 67 years of age I've never experienced anything but rain and I'm very worried as to the problems sunshine may cause my bike. Is there something I can do to prevent these? Are my bearings likely to run dry and is my chain going to seize up?
Is it worth the risk or should I just stay in that day and play safe.

Are you *sure* you're in Scotland? Check around, make sure you haven't been kidnapped and taken to a parallel universe!