Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good clipless pedals for traumatized clipless rookie

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 01:22 PM
LoveCorgis

Bikes: Norco Revolver 7.3 FS, Trek Silque, Trek Crossrip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi - I just registered for the BikeForums earlier this month. I am a runner/occasional rider who is morphing into a cyclist/occasional runner.

Two years ago I tried clipless pedals. I fell over a lot. My husband tried my pedals (he who never fell over while learning to ride clipless) and we discovered that the set of pedals I had were probably defective. I was soured on clipless pedals after that attempt. I have toe clips right now but would like to attempt the clipless pedals again this year.

Are there clipless pedals that are better for a clipless rookie? I have mountain bike shoes.
Old 01-31-16, 02:21 PM
b0wz3r108

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc; Soma Tradesman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should probably try a set of the Shimano SPD pedals, just make sure the ones you get have adjustable tension. That way you can dial them down to the softest setting to make releasing the cleats as easy as possible. That will reduce the likelihood of you falling. Also, you should practice with them; go find an empty parking lot, and clip in and ride several feet, and then clip out and put a foot down. Do that repeatedly with both feet. Using clipless pedals is like any other learned skill; you have to practice to get good at it. Once you've got some practice under your belt you can adjust the pedal tension to a level that's a balance between good retention and easy release. One thing that's crucial in all of this is to make sure that your cleats are properly aligned on your shoes for the natural angle your feet feel comfortable on your pedals, otherwise your knees and ankles will take a beating, and you'll pop out of the pedals unnecessarily. A good bike shop can help you with that.
Old 01-31-16, 02:25 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
My wife rides her road bike with mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats. I have the tension set on the pedals almost as low as they'll go. Her feet come out with very little effort. Everyone riding clipless pedals will fall eventually, even your husband. It's inevitable.

I recommend learning to ride with clipless pedals in a low traffic neighborhood that's safe. Practice clipping in and out, exaggerating the motion to reinforce the movement. Clip out early, long before you need to come to a stop. Lastly, I recommend always clipping out with the same foot when coming to a stop, to develop a habit that occurs without thinking. There's debate as to left or right foot, I don't care, just one. Certainly you'll need to unclip with both, but as a matter of habit, stick to reinforcing one foot so that you're not hesitating when it comes to an uncertain situation.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-16, 02:31 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm 71 and ride with Speedplay Light Action. Never have problems unclipping. I don't think they work with mtn bike shoes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-31-16, 02:36 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for Shimano SPD. Before you even start riding, clip each foot in and out at least 10 times, with the other foot on the ground. It helps with the muscle memory. Unlike the Speedplay, they do work with MTB shoes, so it's easier to walk around before, after or during a ride. (This makes it easier to push your bike up a vicious hill as well.)

And then when you do start riding, take your first ride in a park, or somewhere with nice grassy verges so you won't hurt yourself, or the bike, when you fall.

At the risk of tempting the cycling gods, I've been riding clipless for more than a decade and managed somehow to avoid Club Tombee for all of those years. I sort of reckon that if I was going to have a clipless fall I ought to have done so by now.

But I will never say never.
Old 01-31-16, 03:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
OP, an approach that will cost you a little more money but might help a lot from the fear and learning aspect: buy say SPD pedals and cleats from your bike shop. (I believe there is a cleat model that has easier release than the ones that come with the pedals.) Have them install both the pedals and the cleats, setting the pedals for the easiest possible release, then put your bike on a trainer. Now you can "ride" to your hearts content, clipping in and out, with no fear of falling. Do a million releases. go down the street for a cup of coffee or a doughnut, come back and do a million more. Ride the bike around the bike shop parking lot and do more. Now find a gentle hill and celebrate how much easier it is!

Clipless pedels are a revelation. Any good shop should have no issue with letting you spend that time on the trainer for a life changer.

Buy a bottle of Tri-Flo before you leave the shop and keep it by your bike. Slather it on the pedal mechanism before rides. That will keep the release lubed and reliable.

Ben
Old 01-31-16, 03:07 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Just ride with flat or platform pedals. Being clipped in provides no benefit for most cyclists. They just want to look like racers. There is an active thread on this subforum: "How many flat/platform ..."
Old 01-31-16, 03:24 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Just ride with flat or platform pedals. Being clipped in provides no benefit for most cyclists. They just want to look like racers. There is an active thread on this subforum: "How many flat/platform ..."
I have been using traditional toeclips and straps -- which my wife calls "toe traps" -- since my college freshman days, and I would be afraid to ride without some sort of foot retention system. I set the straps just loose enough to let me yank a foot out, and this system has served me well for 100k miles.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-31-16, 03:27 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
If you prefer to ride flat pedals, that is your business. But your retro grouchy reverse snobbery re clip less pedals doesn't necessarily translate to good advice for a rider looking to come into the 21st century.

there is a benefit to some sort of foot retention system, even for non racers. The benefits are, less risk of feet slipping off the pedals, facilitates a better pedal stroke, safer than clips and straps, and finally, cycling shoes are better suited to cycling than tennis or running shoes and reduce foot fatigue over rides of an hour or longer.
Old 01-31-16, 03:41 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
If you prefer to ride flat pedals, that is your business. But your retro grouchy reverse snobbery re clip less pedals doesn't necessarily translate to good advice for a rider looking to come into the 21st century.

there is a benefit to some sort of foot retention system, even for non racers. The benefits are, less risk of feet slipping off the pedals, facilitates a better pedal stroke, safer than clips and straps, and finally, cycling shoes are better suited to cycling than tennis or running shoes and reduce foot fatigue over rides of an hour or longer.
The OP is a new cyclist who has fallen because of her clipless pedals. It isn't a question of reverse snobbery, I'm saying that most recreational riders get no benefits from being attached.
Old 01-31-16, 03:46 PM
MRT2

The OP is a new cyclist who has fallen because of her clipless pedals. It isn't a question of reverse snobbery, I'm saying that most recreational riders get no benefits from being attached.
OP is not a new cyclist.
Old 01-31-16, 04:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Since resuming cycling last year after a long hiatus, I've considered the foot retention vs free-footing from an "On the one hand... on the other hand" perspective.

FWIW, 30 years ago I rode with toe clips, often wearing Detto Pietros with cleats strapped in for longer rides and even some commutes where I had few or no stops. I was sold on toe clips, no question. In most urban areas and commutes I wore running shoes or casual shoes and kept the left foot unstrapped - out of habit I've always set the left foot down for stops in traffic. Still do, even though I'm currently riding platform pedals.

On the one hand, foot retention offers:
  • Security
  • Efficiency
  • Consistency
  • Safety
Or so goes the conventional wisdom.

First, the efficiency argument...

Consider the 2014 video by the folks at GCN that demonstrated only a marginal increase in efficiency for clipped in vs platform/flat pedals: "What Is The Most Efficient Pedalling Style? We Test Flat Vs. Clipless Pedals | GCN Does Science"

I was a bit surprised the difference was so marginal. Sure, any improvement is essential for competition. But for my mostly casual riding? I had to reconsider my old biases in favor of foot retention. (And, yep, I'm aware that some GCN test conditions might not be statistically significant or representative of riders who aren't primarily roadies. But they don't claim otherwise and invite rebuttals.)

Security?

During the past few months, I can't remember the last time my foot just slipped off a pedal and made any difference. A couple of times maybe, on really rough unpaved terrain - gravel and grass - where I preferred to keep my feet free to set down and keep my balance.

On the other hand (or foot), years ago I tended to pull up on the toe clips when I was tired, which ain't a good thing. The knee isn't designed to take that kind of strain. Riding platforms only for the past few months has reminded me to keep consistent downward pressure. So far I've experienced a minor knee twinge only once, on a group ride the other night where I was in the middle of the pack and couldn't vary my speed to suit my preferences without affecting the riders behind me. That's pretty good, considering how poor my conditioning was and the shape of my banged up knees from previous accidents. I'd like to keep it that way.

Safety?

Maybe. My worst fall years ago was during a crit when a fellow passing me clipped my front wheel with his back wheel. The strapped in toe clips ensured a sideways slide, without my legs flailing around. The road rash ran from my shoulder to my ankle. Painful, but nothing broken. Of course, I was only 20 years old and bounced easily back then. I had a few other falls, mostly whenever I'd try to ride my road bike on gravel, or just skidded on an unseen patch of sand and pebbles on turns, that sort of thing. I can't recall the toe clips actually retaining me because I didn't always wear the cleated shoes and strap in both feet securely.

And on the other other hand, I'd rather not fall at all, again, ever. Not even a little. At age 58, only a couple of years past needing a cane to walk after a car wreck busted up my back and neck, I can't consider any falls to be an acceptable risk in exchange for a perception of increased efficiency while using foot retention.

I can say that being able to quickly dab a foot down for balance has probably saved me from a few tumbles.

I've experienced one minor fall, more of a stumble, since resuming cycling last year. I was testing some new tires on various terrain to see how well they handled. I locked up the brakes on grass, figuring the tires would slide. Nope, not even a little. They dug in like cat claws on carpet. I went over the handlebar and landed on my feet. After briefly congratulating myself for my amazing accomplishment, I then stumbled over my bike and fell over sideways into an embarrassed heap on soft grass.

With luck, that'll be my last fall, ever.

While I wouldn't discourage the OP from using foot retention, having experienced that many falls (which the OP described, if only facetiously, as traumatic) would motivate me to return to platform pedals and free-footing it until I felt more confident and in top condition.

There's a maxim that claims "Practice makes perfect." But it's false. Perfect practice makes perfect. Poor training practices reinforce poor habits and can make a pursuit unsafe and rob us of the enjoyment of a pursuit, hobby or activity. If you're falling so often that you consider it a problem, then it is a problem. And maybe the solution, for now, is to skip the foot retention devices.

Now, less than six months into my return to cycling, I'm just beginning to feel like I'm in good enough condition to feel that sort of confidence. But sudden unanticipated back and neck spasms, asthma attacks and shortness of breath, etc., remind me that -- for me, at least -- free-footing it on platform pedals is best for me. For now. Subject to change, though not at whim.
Old 01-31-16, 09:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Flat pedals have a retention system - the pins. You just have to wear rubber-soled shoes, or similar.
Old 01-31-16, 10:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
LoveCorgis,
Are you using toeclips with straps, or strapless?

After decades of using toeclips (including briefly toeclips with cleats), I finally changed to clipless, with almost no problems (biggest problem was loosing traction and forward momentum on my driveway). The primary reason to change from toe clips to clipless was pressure points on the feet from long rides (cage pedals), and feet tilting outward. The cleats just hold my feet more secure.

The use of toeclips means that you already have learned to anticipate stopping.

I'm now using SPD, and really like them.

The cleats (not as much pedals) come in two varieties. Standard, and "multi-release".

I agree with others, setting the pedals to minimum pressure should help with learning. But, the multirelease cleats are supposed to be even easier to extract one's feet out of.
Old 02-01-16, 12:10 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
With Shimano SPDs, use the Multi-Directional Release cleats, SH-56. My wife loves them as they are easier to unclip as they can release upwards too. The standard ones are SH-51 and only release sideways. Aggressive riders might risk unintentional release with the SH-56s though. Something that helps too is saying out loud when stopping, "unclip left (or right)" this will help train you to make conscious movement when unclipping. Of course, you may still have unexpected tumbles--we all do even after years of riding.
Old 02-01-16, 12:40 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
An option is to get slotted cleats for the toeclips.

The required unclipping motion is almost the same as using clipless pedals, and it would be good practice.
Old 02-01-16, 04:45 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
More then just Shimano SPD pedals look for their 'Click R" series they are uni-directional very easy to get in and out of.

SHIMANO CLICK'R - TECHNOLOGIES - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO
Old 02-01-16, 06:18 AM
billd76
Billd76

Bikes: 07 Trek 1000 and 014 Giant Escape

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use shimano M424s. You can adjust the release light, so that you can clip out easily, and you can clip on in either side of the pedal, or use them with just regular running shoes.
Old 02-01-16, 07:47 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveCorgis
..... I have toe clips right now but would like to attempt the clipless pedals again this year.

Are there clipless pedals that are better for a clipless rookie? I have mountain bike shoes.
Seems to me she has already decided what she wants to do, all she wants is an opinion as to whether one system will be better than another for someone getting into or back into riding with clipless pedals.

To the OP - The truth is that all clipless pedals, regardless of who makes them and what type they are, are made for foot retention, nothing else. After that, it becomes a personal preference and which company's marketing you like the best. If you already have MTB shoes, why not stick with MTB pedals until you either learn how to engage and disengage when needed or give up the idea completely? If, after trying, you decide to give up, it won't cost you another pair of shoes and/or a more expensive pedal system.

I've been riding bikes with platform pedals for most of my younger years and quit riding in my 40's. I started back at age 63 and wore my first pair of cycling shoes at age 64 and I've never looked back, even after falling several times in the beginning. There are several good ways to practice riding with clipless pedals that have been mentioned. I did most of my practice on a trainer pretending I was coming to a stop light, slowing down for a hazard, etc. While that helped me tremendously, I would still have that more than occasional "Oh crap!" moment. One day it occurred to me that disengaging and engaging my foot from/to the pedal is no different than what I'm doing with my clutch and transmission in my pickup. So if my bike had a standard transmission, whatever situation called for depressing my clutch pedal would be the same situation that would cause me to disengage my foot from my pedal. For most cyclist, it's also the same foot. I may end up with more disengaging than the average cyclist but with SPD pedals I can clip them in by feel and not even miss a pedal stroke. If you've never driven a standard transmission, just think of using your car's brake pedal instead.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-01-16, 07:48 AM
MRT2

My suggestion is the Shimano M324. SPD on one side, flat pedal on the other. OP can clip in on one side, ride the flat pedal on the other side. And once she masters clipless, always has the option of going back to flat pedals should the need arise.
Old 02-01-16, 07:59 AM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree that SPD is the way to go if you are using walkable MTB or touring shoes with your road bike. The factory setting on genuine SPD pedals is excessive for most riders IMHO. Use the multi-release cleats and back the retention setting way down. If you are experiencing unintentional clip-outs, increase the retention a quarter turn at a time until you can clip out easily but not accidentally. If you started with single release cleats and a factory retention setting, you are much more likely to experience failed clip-outs. The retention on my SPD pedals is set quite light and with multi-release cleats it doesn't even require a conscious effort to clip out, just step off the pedal in any direction other than straight forward or straight back. I feel a slight click as the cleat disengages but even in sudden, unplanned stops, I've never been unable to intuitively unclip. The only falls I had were before I learned about adjustable retention and multi-release cleats and even then I only had a couple of failed clip-outs.
Old 02-01-16, 08:15 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, when any clipless pedal is new, it is stiff in its release action. I try to do a whole bunch of "in and out" with my shoes just being held in my hands, in order to loosen them up, and I set the tension at looser setting once I am ready to use them on the road. Also, there are some lubes that help with the insertion and release, as said above. Speedplay has its own lubricant, that is supposedly formulated expressly for their particular design. It looked, and felt like, a very weak/thin chain lube, only clear. I just gave away the X-5 Speedplays, that I was given last year, I never felt comfortable using them, and the cleats stick up a good bit further than the SPD-SL does.

I am fortunate, with both clipped and strap quills, and my current SPD-SL pedals, I haven't had a pedal caused fall, but I probably just ruined this, for me. Hopefully, I will just roll with what comes my way.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-01-16, 08:27 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
My suggestion is the Shimano M324. SPD on one side, flat pedal on the other. OP can clip in on one side, ride the flat pedal on the other side. And once she masters clipless, always has the option of going back to flat pedals should the need arise.
+1. My wife and I both use these. We ride in congested city areas to get to trails and roads so we get a mix of stop and go and cruising. I rarely use the flats and could probably just switch to a regular pedal but don't see that much advantage so stick with the current setup. My wife frequently rides the flats and loves these pedals.
Old 02-01-16, 08:33 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by b0wz3r108
..... try a set of the Shimano SPD pedals, just make sure the ones you get have adjustable tension. ....dial them down to the softest setting to make releasing the cleats as easy as possible.......
Originally Posted by bikeme
With Shimano SPDs, use the Multi-Directional Release cleats, SH-56. My wife loves them as they are easier to unclip as they can release upwards too........
+1
Old 02-01-16, 08:35 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveCorgis
Hi - I just registered for the BikeForums earlier this month. I am a runner/occasional rider who is morphing into a cyclist/occasional runner.

Two years ago I tried clipless pedals. I fell over a lot. My husband tried my pedals (he who never fell over while learning to ride clipless) and we discovered that the set of pedals I had were probably defective. I was soured on clipless pedals after that attempt. I have toe clips right now but would like to attempt the clipless pedals again this year.

These work well..Used them for 47,000 miles

VO Deep Half Clips

Size 14 shoes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.